PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I just can't help myself...

69428SCJ
01-31-2011, 11:09 PM
It always works like this for me...I go to look at a car, guy says it has some rust, shouldn't be a problem to fix. The price is low enough for me to come out an look at it. I get there, there's WAY more rust or other problems with the car than I want to deal with so I pass. Right after I'm done I get on craigslist (once upon a time it was autotrader) and find a car in better condition for slightly more, but a much better buy.

Well, what I just described happened to me this weekend. I went to look at a 64 Cadillac. Guy wanted $2000 for it, said it needed a new floor pan. Not a big deal since that's a usual rust spot for the car and pans aren't hard to get. I give the car a one over, and notice what I had feared. Another problem spot for those older Caddys is the rocker panels...it needed both inside and out. Other problems included two chipped pistons and more body work than I felt like dealing with in the car.

So I get home, check my list of 19 more cars I want to add to my collection before I turn 45. See some decent deals, but nothing that really catches my eye. Low and behold, there it is. An Arizona car for life, so paint is baked, but a complete car. Rust not even worth mentioning and a slight crease in the driver's quarter that won't be a problem to fix. A price that I would say is really good.

So, I'm sure by now everyone is thinking, "SHUT UP! Let's see pics!" Okay, but first...I will say I looked at Mustangs first, but couldn't find one in similar condition for the same price as

http://www.ipixelspot.com/files/16/500%20XL.JPG

Now I just need to figure out how to get it from AZ to the OH...

sean
01-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Anything old and two door is usually cool. That is no exception.

redfirepearlgt
01-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Uh that appears to be no 64 Caddy there. Was expecting some cadillac based on what you were hunting. Looks rather like a 63,64 galaxy 500. LOL! What's under the hood? As far as transportation it is possible to have the car auto carried from Phoenix would likely go most way by means of rail and then delivered local by truck. There are plenty of auto carrier companies to contact. Otherwise R_O_A_D_T_R_I_P!!!!!!!

gouldstang
01-31-2011, 11:30 PM
that's cool...what motor?

84stang
01-31-2011, 11:54 PM
Had one just like it back in the day. Mine was a 390 factory 4 speed. Still one of the most fun cars I ever owned. I was mostly stock and would burn rubber in all 4 gears.

Good luck with the build!!

Xowner
02-01-2011, 12:20 AM
DROOL! needs 390 with a 4 speed and painted red!!!!

69428SCJ
02-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Uh that appears to be no 64 Caddy there. Was expecting some cadillac based on what you were hunting. Looks rather like a 63,64 galaxy 500. LOL! What's under the hood? As far as transportation it is possible to have the car auto carried from Phoenix would likely go most way by means of rail and then delivered local by truck. There are plenty of auto carrier companies to contact. Otherwise R_O_A_D_T_R_I_P!!!!!!!

Haha, I posted this on another board I post on and someone said the same thing about the Caddy. It's a 64 500XL. Got the 390 Thunderbird mated to a C6. I'm gonna get a couple of auto carrier prices first before I look at rail. I would do a road trip, but based on a road trip to Salt Lake City to pick a car, it would be cheaper to have it trucked.

nsaniti
02-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Haha, I posted this on another board I post on and someone said the same thing about the Caddy. It's a 64 500XL. Got the 390 Thunderbird mated to a C6. I'm gonna get a couple of auto carrier prices first before I look at rail. I would do a road trip, but based on a road trip to Salt Lake City to pick a car, it would be cheaper to have it trucked.

I live out here, so depending where in AZ I could possibly take a look at it. If nothing else, for what its worth, I had one of my stangs shipped down here by a company that uses Semi-trailers.. like you see new dealership vehicles on.. Cost 650$.

and what year mustangs were you looking for? I can check around for ya.. just let me know what kinda price range your in also. you can find insanely clean mustangs for cheap out here.

Kevin1989
02-01-2011, 02:54 AM
and what year mustangs were you looking for? I can check around for ya.. just let me know what kinda price range your in also. you can find insanely clean mustangs for cheap out here.

Dont trust Matt he couldnt spot a clean mustang if he walked into it :lol: JK buddy :D

All jokes aside that car is sweet, all black on that thing would look sweet! any plans for it, motor wise?

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-01-2011, 03:09 AM
The older cars are the less i care what brand they are. My dad had a 64 when i was real young but back then it was just an old pos. I'd much rather have a 64 Fairlane or something like that but i cant knock an Impala.

INSANEBA
02-01-2011, 09:37 AM
My friend has 2 of the old 63-64ish star liners sitting in his shop. He had one on the rotisserie, and the other was a complete roller. I think he had a mercury motor and such for it too. He said back in the day that was a "hot rod" a merc motor in a ford lol. He might sell one, who knows...

Stangman
02-01-2011, 01:51 PM
I'd like to have a '64-'65 Falcon 2dr with a 289/4speed. Or another '65 Fairlane to go along with my dad's. Dad's Fairlane is a '65 with the K-code 289 Hi-Po, Borg-Warner Super T-10 4 speed, it's a Sports Coupe, and it's a Fairlane 500. Non-post car too. It's probably about 1 of less than 100 65's with the K-code.

69428SCJ
02-01-2011, 09:54 PM
I live out here, so depending where in AZ I could possibly take a look at it. If nothing else, for what its worth, I had one of my stangs shipped down here by a company that uses Semi-trailers.. like you see new dealership vehicles on.. Cost 650$.

The car is in Kingman. I'm mainly looking at late model Fox bodies, no more than $3000.

Dont trust Matt he couldnt spot a clean mustang if he walked into it :lol: JK buddy :D

All jokes aside that car is sweet, all black on that thing would look sweet! any plans for it, motor wise?

Just going to refresh it, maybe a mild cam and intake...nothing too serious.

69428SCJ
03-11-2011, 04:31 PM
It finally came home today!

http://www.ipixelspot.com/files/16/Galaxie%20home.jpg

firestang70
03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Cool looking ride!

buckeye6669
03-13-2011, 11:33 AM
nice!!!!!!!

Mustard
03-13-2011, 12:07 PM
sweet man

dedpedal
03-13-2011, 12:21 PM
If youre looking for a fox body, I have my 86 t top car that Id like see go to a good home. If youd like to see it and have a beer while discussing it, pm me.
Nice find on the 64!

89johnny
03-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I love those old galaxies! My uncle has a black 64 that he has let sit for years and i have been trying to get it from him since i was sixteen! He will never come off that car.

Squale iii
03-13-2011, 04:56 PM
If youre looking for a fox body, I have my 86 t top car that Id like see go to a good home. If youd like to see it and have a beer while discussing it, pm me.
Nice find on the 64!

I see what you did there...

Pics? lol

Buckeye
03-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I think I'd do the mechanicals and drive it as is. Pretty cool car. Pm me if you ever want to buy a 69 torino 428cj R-code from mississippi roller

69428SCJ
03-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Went to go look at it tonight and for some reason the tranny's started leaking. I don't know why considering it made the trip from AZ without leaking. Maybe it's because of the coldness. Oh well, I'm still two projects away from starting this bad boy.

BigBadStang
03-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Nice find! A Kaase Boss9, and a T-bolt hood...:drool: