PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota trying to mandate Gun Ownership

Black92LX
02-01-2011, 01:30 PM
First off I will state that I don't agree with the law and feel that it is Unconstitutional to force anyone to own anything.
It's none of the Government's business or anyone else's whether I own a gun, or anything for that matter, or not. It's my right if I choose to do it fine, if you don't want them fine just leave me to my own.

Though I don't think that is the point of trying to pass this legislation the point will be that the Democrats will get all in a huff about it saying that it is Unconstitutional to force anyone to buy anything. And then the it will quickly be compared to the Health Care Requirement the Dems think is such a great idea and somehow think it's Constitutional.

Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun
3:04 PM, Jan. 31, 2011 |

Jonathan Ellis, Argus Leader

Five South Dakota lawmakers have introduced legislation that would require any adult 21 or older to buy a firearm “sufficient to provide for their ordinary self-defense.”

The bill, which would take effect Jan. 1, 2012, would give people six months to acquire a firearm after turning 21. The provision does not apply to people who are barred from owning a firearm.

Nor does the measure specify what type of firearm. Instead, residents would pick one “suitable to their temperament, physical capacity, and preference.”

The measure is known as an act “to provide for an individual mandate to adult citizens to provide for the self defense of themselves and others.”

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110131/UPDATES/110131031/Bill-would-require-all-S-D-citizens-buy-gun

Rick93coupe
02-01-2011, 03:45 PM
I agree it's unconstitutional, it's crazy what he's going through just to prove a point.

thecollector
02-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Supreme court bound.I heard about this earlier today.:)

02mingryGT
02-02-2011, 12:15 PM
It's a showboat bill. The guy is trying to make a point that any mandate by the state/federal government is unconstitutional. Like the judge said in his opinion striking down Obamacare, if this was the case you could make homelessness disappear by mandating everyone buy a house. It's a not too clever ploy to show the absurdness of Obamacare.

Dirtyd0g
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Any government that thinks it can control 100% of what the people do is a government run by fools. It's like parents thinking they can control everything their children do. The best policy remains to teach them what they need to know to make the best choice. I certainly believe every American should own a gun and that crime would be reduced by that happening. I also believe in freedom, freedom of choice to do whatever you wish and if you do not wish to own a gun that is your choice. I personally would like to have a different one for every occasion, like a fashion statement. "My glock really matches my boots but the S&W goes so much better with my sandals!"
Alan

Blackballed
02-02-2011, 02:39 PM
I personally would like to have a different one for every occasion, like a fashion statement. "My glock really matches my boots but the S&W goes so much better with my sandals!"
Alan

:lol:This is my thoughts exactly.