PDA

View Full Version : TR3550 VS TKO500

bronzeLX
02-06-2011, 02:30 PM
What is the difference One better than other,TKO500's are around 2,000 but what about the TR3550. maybe same trans different number.

NXcoupe
02-06-2011, 07:59 PM
3550's are no longer made new. The 500 and 3550 have the same first gear. 3550 has a 3 piece countershaft that will come apart or spin on the shaft with enough power. 3550 has smaller T5 sized output shaft, TKO 500 has the huge TKO output shaft and has the choice of either a coarse or fine spline input, 3550 only has the coarse spline. 500 has upgraded solid one piece countershaft, and all gears are a higher quality, stronger alloy than a 3550. The shifters are different between a 3550 and a TKO 500. Internal shift forks have been upgraded, alloys are improved, etc. It's a hell of a lot of trans for the money.

bronzeLX
02-06-2011, 09:12 PM
3550's are no longer made new. The 500 and 3550 have the same first gear. 3550 has a 3 piece countershaft that will come apart or spin on the shaft with enough power. 3550 has smaller T5 sized output shaft, TKO 500 has the huge TKO output shaft and has the choice of either a coarse or fine spline input, 3550 only has the coarse spline. 500 has upgraded solid one piece countershaft, and all gears are a higher quality, stronger alloy than a 3550. The shifters are different between a 3550 and a TKO 500. Internal shift forks have been upgraded, alloys are improved, etc. It's a hell of a lot of trans for the money.Figured the 3550 was an older trans. Saving for a TKO 500, what trans is in your coupe, thanks.

fastford331
02-08-2011, 09:48 AM
If you call Promotion Powertrain or Handlon Motorsports and give them the tech information of what you have and what you are trying to do they will help you out a great deal. I bought a Promotion TKO 600 blueprinted, cyro, remmed from them and I love it. It also has the case girdle and their shifter. Way better than the T-5 and Richmond I had. Also love the Quick Time bellhousing and Mcleoud Twin Disk.

NXcoupe
02-08-2011, 01:00 PM
I can also help you out a bunch with tech, and I'm local. Promotion got their start selling all of my friend Eric swarr's pro shifted stuff. I have the swarr girdle that has been ripped off and copied by others.
What's in my car? I have a swarr girdle, TKO2, Spec Stage 3+, good for 1.29 60ft. Anything can break given enough abuse, but I have been very fortunate. I stick with Eric, both Bruce Hemminger and I run his stuff exclusively. I have a lot of proshifted stuff here I can show you, so you know what you are buying. I won't hype your ego and sell you a bunch of high dollar stuff you don't need. You can see my setup is pretty basic too, meaning less expensive than a lot of others out there.

fastford331
02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I have met the owner of Dayton Performance and yes I forgot he also knew his stuff with manuals, I would much rather stay local. I would have used him had I knew that he was local, plus Walt is a bit grumpy at times. If you can cut a 1.29 60ft with a TKO2, you are the man!

bronzeLX
02-09-2011, 07:10 PM
I have met the owner of Dayton Performance and yes I forgot he also knew his stuff with manuals, I would much rather stay local. I would have used him had I knew that he was local, plus Walt is a bit grumpy at times. If you can cut a 1.29 60ft with a TKO2, you are the man!I work in Moraine and my dad had some interior work done on his 58 pontiac next door to Dayton Perfomance. You guys may be getting confused at times about who you are talking to, Corey or BRONZELX is my son and the car in the photos is his. We share the same screen name, tonight I might get my own screen name and post some photos of the 83 GT we are working on. Was told this 83 used to sit at Dayton Performance a few yours ago. Anyway, back to the trans in Coreys car, we are not sure what we are going with except its NOT going to be a t-5, just dont like buying parts 2 times. Going to do alot of racing with it and dont think the t-5 will hold up to the repeated abuse. Its kinda tough workin with a 15 year olds budget to. NXCOUPE Im gonna take you up on your offer to check out the trans in your coupe here in the next week or so, just live in Carlisle.