PDA

View Full Version : KY peeps, need info

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm looking to rent a house in Erlanger, and i need info about car registration and this crazy property tax i heard about on cars??

fastone
02-08-2011, 08:38 AM
It's not a crazy tax, you just get charged every year a small amount of taxes on your car, boat and other stuff. Ok, maybe it is a little crazy, but we don't have to worry about levys and such as Ohio does. The tax helps with the city, county, schools and fire depts and such. What part of Erlanger are you looking at?

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Honestly i don't know what part to call it...we just looked at the house yesterday and i'm not real familiar with the area. Do you have any idea what it might cost? I've got 3 cars to deal with.

Jeff88coupe
02-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Registration is a flat fee of about $20. But the personal property tax on your vehicals is based on the blue book value of them...ie the older they are the less they are worth and hence the less taxes you pay. I paided about $325ish for my 2005 duramax truck, ~160 for my 2004 audi A6, and about $75 for my 88 coupe that included about $50 for the personalized plate. Taxes between OH and KY are really very close to the same...you just pay them in different ways between the 2 states.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Ok also i was told you HAVE to get your plates changed over within 10 days of moving there, or you get fined? This is all coming from a kid at work, who has me stressed out of my mind because he said his '79 Camaro cost $225 sales tax plus registration fees and he said he waited until his Ohio plates were expired, and when he went to get KY plates they fined him because it had been over 10 days. He said they'll ask for your lease/etc to prove how long you've lived there....any truth to this stuff?

cstreu1026
02-08-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm not sure if its true but that is really no different than the penalty Ohio charges if you wait to long to renew your license.

skeptiq
02-08-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't know about the ten day thing but when I was house hunting I did a small analysis of the ky/oh taxes and basically its kind of a wash. As stated, regardless of which state you live in it will cost about the same but you pay those taxes in different ways. I chose Ohio because I just don't like the personal property tax. In my opinion you paid taxes in your property when you originally purchased it and to tax it every year is ridiculous. In Ohio the sales tax is a bit higher so they get you there with other purchases. The other thing about 'personal property tax' is I always thought it would be a little depressing to have to pay that around your birthday lol. My buddy has a 2007 Volvo S80 and 2008 Mazda CX9 and he paid about $525 last year.

Later.
Ben

fastone
02-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I believe you have 30 days to change it. You have two copies of bills or such with your new address. Where are you wanting to move to? I know you might be able to find a house to rent for about the same as an apartment. And depending on how much the fire dept is up on enforcing, you are not allowed any type of gas/charcoal grill. We are now enforcing this at all apartments in Burlington.

rtvickers
02-11-2011, 08:32 PM
I think the property tax in KY is 6% of the value of the car. Then you have other little fees. $2.50 for this $2.50 for that $5 that. I just talked to one of my friends in Newport Police department that lived in OH and moved to KY. He said there is a plate switch policy. And there is one on your liscense also. One is 10 days and the other is 15 days. He wasnt sure witch was witch. Thats in campbell county. Not sure about Kenton or Boone county. Hope that helps.

fastone
02-12-2011, 03:31 PM
To change your license you must have to pieces of mail with your new address on it. You have 30 days to switch both over to KY. Your taxes are based on alot of things, it is not the 6% sales tax. This changes with where you live, property tax in Erlanger is higher than most spots.

Black92LX
02-12-2011, 05:10 PM
You have 30 days to transfer the vehicle it's 10 days to get your drivers license changed.

It is an arrestable offense not too within 10 days.

fastone
02-12-2011, 08:10 PM
You have 30 days to transfer the vehicle it's 10 days to get your drivers license changed.

How can you change it within ten days when you have to have two pieces of mail with your new address? You don't recieve bills or such in that amount of time after moving.

cstreu1026
02-12-2011, 09:19 PM
I bet for a renter a signed lease agreement would be sufficient.

mustang8998
02-12-2011, 09:49 PM

Unless your an illegal alien.....

rtvickers
02-13-2011, 12:11 AM
To change your license you must have to pieces of mail with your new address on it. You have 30 days to switch both over to KY. Your taxes are based on alot of things, it is not the 6% sales tax. This changes with where you live, property tax in Erlanger is higher than most spots.

Guess you didnt read the whole post. I said that was in Campbell Co. not sure about Kenton and Boone Counties.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-13-2011, 12:12 AM
How can you change it within ten days when you have to have two pieces of mail with your new address? You don't recieve bills or such in that amount of time after moving.

That's a good question...i get very little mail. Consider people who do all their bills online...then what?

fastone
02-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Here's info on your driver's license:
http://www.dmv.org/ky-kentucky/new-to-kentucky.php

Here's info on changing your registration over:
http://www.dmv.org/ky-kentucky/car-registration.php#Calculate_the_Fees

This is the tax rates for Kenton county from 2006-2007, not current but will give you some idea:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDcQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.northernkentuckyusa.com%2Fupl oads%2FKenton%2520Co%2520Tax%2520Rates.pdf&rct=j&q=erlanger%20ky%20vehicle%20tax&ei=KsVXTbqBOse2tgev29TGDA&usg=AFQjCNGXVkT8XhnE8PP9DxhxCZYat2hYWA

rtvickers, as you can see on the tax form for kenton county, very few places have 6% tax on your car yearly. You pay 6% when you buy it only. You can also see what goes into the figuring those taxes for where you live. This is the same as the Kenton county chart above but for Campbell county:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.northernkentuckyusa.com%2Fupl oads%2FCampbell%2520Co%2520Tax%2520Rates%25202006. pdf&rct=j&q=newport%20ky%20vehicle%20tax&ei=XsZXTbChGca1twfq2sSpDQ&usg=AFQjCNEuXf2sB_ECKUUq_WWA0mVXEp3CaQ

Black92LX
02-13-2011, 11:13 AM

If you are a permanent resident you will have something in your name
mail is not needed.

Rental/lease agreements, as well as property statements are allowed. Any sort of cable utility bill is also acceptable which you can get verification from the utility company in person as soon as you get everything in your name.

Nothing has to be physically mailed to your house.

Yes it takes some leg work but it is very simple to do. In most cases people don't just move from one state to another in the blink of an eye. They plan things out. Giving you far more than 10 days to start getting things ready.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah, this sort of was a blink of the eye deal. The house became available and sort of fell in our lap so we had to start scrambling for info. We still have plenty of time to get things done though.

Goldeneagle
02-13-2011, 11:49 AM
When you get here, Welcome to Ky, and I hope you get it all together for a smooth transition.:bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-13-2011, 12:10 PM
It's sort of a welcome back :D

We lived there for about 4 years when i was a kid. I believe from age 4 to 8 if i remember right. It was some of the best years of my life. We lived on a farm and i pretty much did anything i wanted within reason. Kids just don't have that kind of safe freedom these days.

jccox77
02-13-2011, 12:29 PM
yeah welcome back i think u have been out my way before picking up parts

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Yeah, the Crown Vic was $260, the Cherokee they wouldn't pass inspection because of a crack in the windshield, and i'm holding off on the Mustang until Plated finished the paint. So much for it being cheap.

Jeff88coupe
04-06-2011, 12:36 PM
What year crown vic?

nkystanger
04-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Yeah, the Crown Vic was $260, the Cherokee they wouldn't pass inspection because of a crack in the windshield, and i'm holding off on the Mustang until Plated finished the paint. So much for it being cheap.

That sounds high, was there some kind of unpaid prior tax or something additional?

I paid $130 for my 2003 Ford Ranger 4X4, $35 for my 1997 motorcycle and $60 for my 1993 lx 5.0

My fiancee just transferred her car over from Ohio to Ky tags, 2008 Nissan Sentra, i think that was $190

Also. Im pretty sure with Ky insurance you get one free window replacement a year. You should be able to get that Cherokee windshield replaced free.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-06-2011, 03:42 PM
She said because i didn't pay a lot of tax when i bought it. I said, well you buy a cheap car to save money but i guess you're gonna pay out the ass one way or another huh?

It's an '03, she said book value is 4k.

Gearhead
04-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Where are you at in Erlanger ?? Suprised I haven't seen your Crown Vic running around.

I'm off Turkeyfoot a couple miles south of 275.....

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm on Spring Valley Rd. I don't get out much unless it's Saturday so you wouldn't see me unless it's on the way to work in the evening or on the way home in the morning.

In other news, i almost make a thread about this...but i seriously almost got killed a couple nights ago on the way to work on Turkeyfoot. Some guy came over a hill and was all the way over in my lane, and he must have been going 100mph. It all happened so fast, i didn't even have time to think, i just whipped the wheel and somehow barely missed hitting this guy head on. It shook me up real bad..i was almost in tears because i felt like i was lucky to be alive.

mustanger
04-06-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm on Spring Valley Rd. I don't get out much unless it's Saturday so you wouldn't see me unless it's on the way to work in the evening or on the way home in the morning.

In other news, i almost make a thread about this...but i seriously almost got killed a couple nights ago on the way to work on Turkeyfoot. Some guy came over a hill and was all the way over in my lane, and he must have been going 100mph. It all happened so fast, i didn't even have time to think, i just whipped the wheel and somehow barely missed hitting this guy head on. It shook me up real bad..i was almost in tears because i felt like i was lucky to be alive.

Man Turkey Foot used to be really bad until they redid it, can't imagine someone driving like that now on that road and almost getting into an accident...good to hear your ok :bigthumb

bestracing
04-08-2011, 11:30 AM
For my 86 the used the NADA book to look up the value. Make sure if you're doing an early model mustang that you have them look in the regular book FIRST!!.

Car was worth $2000 at time of transfer in the regular book so I paid about $30 in taxes and $15 for the plate and $40 to get it personalized. The Clasic NADA book had it valued around $7000.

Scroungers
08-05-2011, 06:45 PM
I know this is an old post but thought I'd add some stuff. If you buy a car out of state and title it in Ky make sure you get a long form(VTR) from the DMV and have the seller fill out the purcahse price. You will also need to give the VTR to the guy doing the out of state inspection. He will use this form for the inspection. If you buy it for 500 bucks then that is what you will get taxed on instead of what the blue book says. Sometimes being 2 or $3000.00 in value, depending on what you bought.

Another nice thing to do is if your ride is over 25 years old you can get historical tags for it. While the buggy looking car on the tag looks dated it saves you a ton of cash. I think the tags are 40 or 50 bucks and you never have to renew them. They are good from then on. You don't pay sales tax like you do with a regular car and tax each year is a whopping 6 bucks. That's it!
Also with a historical tag you can use another Ky law to run the tag year for your car. YOM law. Year of manufacture. If it's a 1977 car you can run a 1977 tag on the car. You just have to keep your historical tags in the car some place to show the police if you get pulled over. I have the KRS for this law if anyone wants to do it. It's nice to keep teh KRS number in the dash because most cops don't know their own laws. I have been running this way for over 20 years and never had a problem but I have heard of some cops pulling people over because they didn't know any better. They were school pretty quick.:D

Scroungers
08-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Here is my 80 with 1980 tags. This is what I run on all the time. I have never been pulled over for the tags. Maybe it's because of what they say but either way it's legal.;)
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa165/scroungerscincy/FalconEddie/006-6.jpg

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-06-2011, 12:38 PM
So i'm just now getting around to doing two of my vehicles, thought i'd pass along the info since i thought it was pretty funny. I have a '98 Cherokee and my '85 Mustang.

Since i paid $510 in sales tax on the Jeep, it's only going to be $41.

Since i traded another car for my Mustang back in '03 and never paid sales tax on it, it's going to be $175 :lol:

Hey Plated where's that windshield man? I've messaged and you haven't replied. I need to have it replaced before Saturday.