PDA

View Full Version : Dear Rob Zombe, a letter from one of your fans...

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Hey Rob,

You don't know me, but we go waaaaay back. I've been down since White Zombie's Make Them Die Slowly, and i've been following your music ever since. I walk around wearing a mechanics jacket that has a 12 inch White Zombie patch on the back...i'm representin'. When i was a teen, my mother forbid me from listening to La Sexorcisto Devil Music Vol. 1, because at the time nobody sounded like that, and i guess the title freaked her out a little bit. You know what? I listened to it anyways, and to this day it's still in my top 10 favorite records of all time. That album is off the effin hook Rob.

That brings me to the point of this letter. I'm a big fan Rob...i loved your movies, especially the Halloween remakes. However, i have to be honest with you Rob, ever since Hellbilly Delux, your music has slowly taken a turn for the worse and honestly Rob i have to say every album sucks more than the one before it. While i do appreciate these albums for what they are, the fact is they pale in comparison to La Sexorcisto and Astro Creep 2000, and a few of them i wouldn't even say are as good as Make Them Die Slowly, which to be honest pretty much sucks (but i love that album anyways because you can really get a feel for where White Zombie started and if you listen close you can hear some early La Sexorcisto grooves throughout it).

Rob, what i'm trying to say is, man the eff up and go have a sit down with Sean, and bring back the rest of the boys and drop this self titled bullshit and bring back WHITE ZOMBIE. Stop over producing your records man...get back to that gritty grinding grooving sound that you created, that to this day has yet to be replicated. Stop making horror pop and get back to your roots.

Sincerely,
David, a depressed White Zombie fan :(

P.S., what ever happened to Devil Music Vol. 2? :confused:

nkystanger
02-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I remember/like The White Zombie stuff but stopped listening to his music a few years ago. I do have to say i love his movies, Devils Rejects and House of 1,000 corpses are great. Im guessing him making movies has cut into the quality of his music?

bobtsgt
02-09-2011, 10:14 AM
I still like everything he has made since the days of White Zombie and will continue to do so. Like many other artist his music grew as he got older and more involved with life. A good movie to watch that reflects this is the Kevin Smith To Fat For 40. In that he explains that fans would love for him to create another Mallrats or Chasing Amy but he basically says not going to happen. He wrote those back when he could relate with the material. Back before having a family still living in his parents basement. It sucks to hear but yet understandable.

Just like a lot of people refuse to listen to Korn any more because of the same thing. The band grew, changed people so the music changed somewhat. Gave it their own specific sound which is not one that can be made to recreate the original. But those who truly enjoy the band stick threw it and grow with them while enjoying the older stuff that got them hooked. Thats why at most of the concerts they will throw in some old skool for those who remember while all the newbies look around at each other thinking its a new song being released lol

djom1cincy
02-09-2011, 10:21 AM
So is there a new zombie cd?

Jake
02-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I still like everything he has made since the days of White Zombie and will continue to do so. Like many other artist his music grew as he got older and more involved with life. A good movie to watch that reflects this is the Kevin Smith To Fat For 40. In that he explains that fans would love for him to create another Mallrats or Chasing Amy but he basically says not going to happen. He wrote those back when he could relate with the material. Back before having a family still living in his parents basement. It sucks to hear but yet understandable.

Just like a lot of people refuse to listen to Korn any more because of the same thing. The band grew, changed people so the music changed somewhat. Gave it their own specific sound which is not one that can be made to recreate the original. But those who truly enjoy the band stick threw it and grow with them while enjoying the older stuff that got them hooked. Thats why at most of the concerts they will throw in some old skool for those who remember while all the newbies look around at each other thinking its a new song being released lol

i completely agree. i think that is something that every music fan goes through. but the truth of the matter is, bands that dont grow/evolve will eventually get boring. i cant speak for white zombie personally as i have yet to listen to them. but from what im reading it seems like it still applies.
thats just my .02 though.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-09-2011, 04:56 PM
So is there a new zombie cd?

I dunno but i did read somewhere recently saying he was quoted, saying that he feels the CD format is dying and if he does make music again it won't be produced on CD's...it'll be download only.

Almost all music changes...same thing happened to Metallica and pretty much any band you can name that has stood the test of time. It just sucks for the fans sometimes when they make a change to something you're not into.

MWoods26
02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Im not much of a Rob/White Zombie fan but I feel your pain. I have been a huge Kid Rock fan since he was a no name selling albums out of his trunk. His stuff from mid/late 90s was so hard core and I dont know how he evolved from The "Early Mornin Stoned Pimp" and the "American Badass" to this soft ass "Born Free" album that just came out.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Hey Bob, have you heard the Make Them Die Slowly album? It used to be really rare but i think it's back in print. I can hook you up with a copy if you haven't heard it. There's at least a few songs that are good enough that if they were recorded and mixed a little better they could've been on the La Sexorcisto album but the majority of the album just has this sound that's almost right but not quite.

I totally understand an artist who wants to progress and do new things...but i'm also a fan and when those new things change to the point that it's not my cup of tea anymore, i think the artist should give the fans what they want. Of course it's their right not to, but they're asking for a drop in sales and fans when they do. I remember back in '96 when Load came out...i was the biggest Metallica fan on Earth back then...And Justice For All is still my all time favorite album...it crushed me when Load came out because it was so different. They gained a whole new fan base with the new music...they're basically a different band. I respect that, but i don't like it at the same time. Look at bands like Slayer who have stayed true to their formula for 20+ years. You can call it the same old thing, but the fans love it. It comes down to what they want more...to please their fans or to please themselves.

bobtsgt
02-09-2011, 09:56 PM
I would love a copy if you can get one. I heard it back when one of my cousins friends had it. Never could find it. Do you have the newer Hellbilly Delluxe 2?

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Yeah i've got HD2, haven't listened to it very much but skimmed through it. There's a couple songs on Educated Horses i really like but most of this stuff is kind of pop rock. I can listen to La Sexorcisto over and over. Make Them Die Slowly is pretty rough...you can tell it's a low dollar recording but if you're a fan it's still very much worth listening to.

bobtsgt
02-09-2011, 11:09 PM
awesome. let me know whenever you get a copy and I will stop on over.

Mustard
02-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Im with ya on this one. All his new "crap" is geared for radio play.