PDA

View Full Version : 4R70W valve body?

Stangman
02-18-2011, 09:54 AM
I know very little about automatics, especially these new fangled electronicly controlled jobs...

I've got a Jmod'd 4R70W in my '93 Lincoln Mark Viii

I'll be adding a 3500 stall converter to it when I get it on the road again, Will I need any special valvebody for it at all? I always see where someone is building there auto, and they add valvebody's to them.

What is the reason for needing one? I would not want to go to a reverse manual because it's a street car.\

Just a random thought...

thanks

bobtsgt
02-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Nothing really to gain from changing it out unless you can find a Mach1 style VB. You could give it a good cleaning if you take it out. Just have to remember where to put everything back.

Stangman
02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
What makes a mach 1 valvebody better? And aren't they 4R75W's?

bobtsgt
02-18-2011, 10:55 AM
it just is :D and they are. I have one in my 4r70w and works just fine for me. Might want to search around on the different modular forums and see what they are using.

bangingears
02-18-2011, 11:28 AM
the valvebody is everything in a 4r. You can have the best built trans and a shitty VB will break it

four6trix
02-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Sorry for being a little off topic bud, but did you do your J-Mod yourself? Just wondering b/c I've looked into it a little and I'd like to try it on my 'stang. From what I've read, not only does it make it shift better, but it also reduces wear and tear on the tranny.

Stangman
02-18-2011, 02:09 PM
My transmission was assembled/rebuilt by Alan aka DirtyD0g. I drove it for over a year with no issues whatsoever, then hit a deer. He even upped the stall on the factory converter just a tad.

Im just getting a 3500 stall for it because I will be putting in 4.10 gears and the Lincoln guys say that stall is right about where I want to be with that gear. I just don't know diddily about valvebodies.... don't those go in from the side or do you have to drop the pan and take shit apart?

What do valvebodies usually cost?

Stangman
02-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I did a quick search on valve bodies, and I couldnt really find any solid info on the Mach VB's... except that they are basically "factory modded" which if that's the case, wouldnt my stocker that's been modded be just as good? And that the line pressure and what not is controlled by tuning... and my car is an OBD1 vehicle. So I'm guessing most of that is out the window.

Only other info I could find was on expensive aftermarket manual jobs...

Steves LX
02-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Just save up your money til next year and buy you a TKO and put it behind my 347 when I go to a 408 next year!!!;)

Stangman
02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Hell yeah, lol. Except all my ass could afford is a T5 that I already have! granny shifting ftw!!! :lol:

Steves LX
02-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Hell yeah, lol. Except all my ass could afford is a T5 that I already have! granny shifting ftw!!! :lol:

Well granny shifting wouldnt be bad.

Dirtyd0g
02-19-2011, 03:48 PM
The converter will absorb the shift, you have to mod the valveboy to bring back the shift feel.
Alan