PDA

View Full Version : Can i put a tube in my et streets? Where to buy?

beefcake
02-22-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm fukin pissed. After winning the world finals. I bought a set of drag radials to try out.

took em to tire discounters, and swapped em out. i put the slicks on my stack of tires in the garage, and they haven't moved since october.

i got a 2nd set of wheels to put the slicks back on so i can switch out without having to switch tires.

they called me to tell me there is a small slit / seration in the side of one of the tires.

they say they didn't do it., but it's leaking air. the fukin tires went from their shop to the wifes car, to the garage and haven't moved in 4 months. they were filled when they took them off last time. i know they had to fuk it up somehow.

anyway, i don't wanna but 2 new slicks, as these have a ton of life on em. i've never tubed a slick before, but i thought people do it.

can i get tubes for these, or am i fuked

the money pit never fukin ends

GREAZY
02-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I put tubes in mine and I got them from Auto Zone. You will need to screw the slicks to the wheels so they dont spin. Also when you air them up for the first time , you will want to inflate them and then deflate them a time or two , so they dont get air trapped between the tire and tube.

2Kblacksleeper
02-22-2011, 12:32 PM
That sucks beef,

Good luck.

pegasus
02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
dad did this with his nova he didnt screw them down but that being said the ol nova isnt making near the power as your stang

Walter
02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
If the side wall is split its done.

beefcake
02-22-2011, 12:42 PM
well, i can't screw these wheels, so i'm stuck buying another tire.

i'd love to know how the hell it got a whole in it. another $200 down the drain.

i called m/t , they said if you don't screw it, you run the risk of the tire spinning the tube, and tearing the valve stem right off

Jeff88coupe
02-22-2011, 01:19 PM
I've fixed small holes in slicks before by using a vulcanizing rubber patch. It basically melts rubber to the inside of the tire over the area of the small hole. I've only done that on the tread area..not on a sidewall before. I run tubes in my slicks now with rims screws. It seems to me to make the sidewalls act stiffer and last longer on my car.

How come you don't take your tires to your dealership's shop and swap them yourself? It's not hard. If you run tubes you do need to put some baby powder on the the tubes and inside of the slick to let the tube slide easy once mounted.

kennebellcobra
02-22-2011, 01:20 PM
All you need is quick tack adhesive, koi sells it, they will not slip! I have done mine with no issues.

beefcake
02-22-2011, 01:39 PM
at 135 mph or so, in a 35k car, i'm not gonna take any chances, i'm just gonna suck it up and buy another tire.

just sucks balls

Jeff88coupe
02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
at 135 mph or so, in a 35k car, i'm not gonna take any chances, i'm just gonna suck it up and buy another tire.

just sucks balls

Check the rollout of the new tire once it is mounted on the rim vs. the old good slick on the rim at the same psi. They should be very close. If not the stagger of the tire heights will push you left or right going down the track.

ibstrokin
02-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Check the rollout of the new tire once it is mounted on the rim vs. the old good slick on the rim at the same psi. They should be very close. If not the stagger of the tire heights will push you left or right going down the track.

+1, Most serious racers buy their slicks in pairs and make sure they come from the same mold to insure the tires are identical. Surprisingly, the real world size of a tire can vary quite a bit, even from the same manufacturer with the same printed size. You may not want to hear it, but you may be better off buying two.

beefcake
02-22-2011, 03:42 PM
+1, Most serious racers buy their slicks in pairs and make sure they come from the same mold to insure the tires are identical. Surprisingly, the real world size of a tire can vary quite a bit, even from the same manufacturer with the same printed size. You may not want to hear it, but you may be better off buying two.

i know, i know, hell, brandon bought 2 tires at concord, and the rollout was way off on the 2 tires.

Kwik92GT
02-22-2011, 04:21 PM
You've already decided to buy a new one and that's what you should do. Don't F around with a slick/DR that has sidewall damage. You see the way they wrinkle on launch, etc., imagine what will happen when that sidewall has a small tear in it. :nono: You need to find a way for them to replace what they screwed up, IMO. But, there's no integrity in a lot of businesses these days so that would be doubtful at best, sucks.

beefcake
02-22-2011, 06:28 PM
You've already decided to buy a new one and that's what you should do. Don't F around with a slick/DR that has sidewall damage. You see the way they wrinkle on launch, etc., imagine what will happen when that sidewall has a small tear in it. :nono: You need to find a way for them to replace what they screwed up, IMO. But, there's no integrity in a lot of businesses these days so that would be doubtful at best, sucks.

i'm probably just gonna buy 2, and sell these to someone that uses tubes and screws theirs

Whyucryn
02-22-2011, 07:07 PM
i'm probably just gonna buy 2, and sell these to someone that uses tubes and screws theirs

What size are they? How much??

beefcake
02-22-2011, 07:11 PM
What size are they? How much??

28x12.5x15 et street, prob $125 for both