PDA

View Full Version : Middletown Street racing years ago

draggin50
02-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Found this on YB and thought it was an intersting story.
[QUOTE=BlackBart;5736713]
Many many years ago in a Galaxy Far Away…ok it wasn’t another galaxy it was Just Ohio, but it was definitely far away from my current home in Texas. Street Racin was a sport of gentlemen and piss-headed kids!! The year was 1970 and the place was a small town named Middletown Ohio. Like all towns of the time we had a main cruise/meeting place. Ours was a local burger hangout complete with carhops called the Kountry Kitchen. The cruise was between the Frisches restaurant and the “Kitchen”, with the Kitchen being the main hangout.
There was a hierarchy in the parking arrangements. The back row was strictly for the heavy hitters, built GTO’s Chevelles and the odd 442 or Road Runner. The closer you got to the restaurant the lower your status. The two closest rows to the restaurant were saved for the cars with families and kids. Nobody cruised that row. It kept the peace to leave the families alone and kept the owner off our Asses.
On any given night you could see legitimate 9 and 10-second cars. More than one was a present or former NHRA record holder. There was an old 60’s Vette that had a stroked Pontiac engine. It was a former A/MP record holder and when the owner was driving through nobody left their drinks on the window trays, because the vibrations and resonance caused by that big Poncho engine would take the drinks and anything else on the tray and deposit it on the ground. But he never street raced the Vette he just liked to cruise it every once in a while. Guys with Stockers and Super stockers would throw on a pair of header mufflers and cruise decals, lettering, and all.
I was top dog of the area. My 67 Camaro with the L-88 427, Old style Edelbrock Tunnel Ram (looked like a big rectangular box) was unbeaten. The engine had been to Ault and James shop in Dayton for more than a little work. The car had an olds rear end 5.38 gears, a spool and a pair of Henry’s axles. All the fast cars then had 4-speeds. My car had a M-22 that had been crashed boxed by removing the synchros, throwing away the brass and grinding away every other tooth on the sliders and gears. The prerequisite lake wood blow shield and Hayes racing clutch were present. Hi stall converters had yet to be invented, or at least were relatively unknown; so all the fast cars were 4 speeds. The guys that raced autos used two techniques to launch their cars. Neutral starts (revving the engine to 4 or 5,000 rpm and dropping the trans in drive and flooring it at the same time) or Spin starts (holding the line lock and spinning the slicks while the lights came down [effective. But not very consistent]) were the way the guys raced autos. Neither method worked on the street so the 4 speeds were king.
Every region had their top dog and our reputations were well known. My car was recognized on sight. Black 67 Camaro RS, no hood big box looking tunnel ram sticking out of the hood, two Holleys with 6 inch aluminum stacks, gorgeous black lacquer paint. Radiused rear wells with the biggest slicks available with Cragar SS mags all round. I used to call it “Old Belchfire” because the first time in the cool weather you tried to start the engine it would backfire and the twin balls of fire would rise about 3 feet in the air. This seemed to warm up everything OK because the car would start up and run cleanly right after. My car was a looker, but with a reputation so no one would race me.
50 miles to the south was the big city of Cincinnati home to Jack McDonald or the Cincinnati Kid. The Mac Daddy of southern Ohio. Dave had a beater looking 66 Chevelle SS with a built to the hilt LS-7. Like me Dave had never been beat, like me he was known and nobody would race him.
People knew of both cars and started speculating which car was fastest. Soon both groups, the Cincinnati bunch, and the Miamisburg (where I lived) Middletown folks started ragging on each other about which car was faster and after a while it appeared a face-off was inevitable. It was finally arranged that we would meet at the Kountry Kitchen on a Saturday Night.
Everybody knew about the race so traffic was unusually heavy. I arrived first and the rear row of the Kitchen was packed not an empty space. But this was not a problem; I just slowly cruised through till I stopped in front of a kid in a stock GTO. As I sat there and rapped the throttle a few times the message was clear “ I have important business tonight, get out of my parking place!!!” The kid got the message and almost spilled the drinks in his girlfriends lap getting out of my way. The big 4-inch exhaust made from diesel truck pipes and exiting just in front of the rear wheels reverberated and blew trash away from the car as I backed into the parking place. A press of the speaker button and 2 Vanilla Cokes were on the way as we settled down to wait for the Cincinnati Kid.
We had been there about 30 minutes when the Kid showed up. At first I didn’t recognize him, I just thought it was some goober in the ugliest Chevelle I ever saw. He stopped in front of me and didn’t say a word just rapped the engine twice. No words were necessary the sound of power coming from the engine said it all!!! Jack pulled out on the street and went to an empty parking lot about a mile down the street. As he left I pulled out and the entire back 4 rows left the drive in. The Kountry Kitchen emptied out and the parking lot filled up with my Camaro and the Cincinnati Kids Chevelle being parked nose-to-nose smack dab in the middle of it.
I could see how the Chevelle got its reputation as a sleeper, because as good looking, as my car was this thing was ugly! Not only was the car ugly, but also great pains had been taken to make it really ugly!!! The car was an ugly brown, no hood. The front bumper was gone and the grill was wired on with old electrical wiring. The body was dented everywhere and the drivers side quarter panel was missing from the middle of the wheel well to the rear bumper. You could see right into the trunk!! The inside of the car was just as bad old black vinyl bench seats with the passenger side seat back broken and lying on the rear seat. Inside the trash was everywhere, level to the tops of the bench seats. The ancient Hurst shifter was heated and bent so many times the chrome was gone and the finish looked like it had come from a dump. There were only 2 gauges in the car an old-time Sun tach and an oil pressure gauge whose line ran directly through a bullet hole in the windshield to the engine. And the engine AHHHH what an engine Ls7 with fully ported heads that had been heavily breathed on by a speed shop by the name of Stereo Pak in Cincinnati to the tune of about $6,000. Now this may not sound like much money today, but remember 4grand would buy you the muscle car of your choice then.
Now I knew what the kid had, but he and his crew had done a masterful job of hiding it. First of all the engine was orange…when I say the engine was orange I mean ALL THE ENGINE WAS ORANGE the heads, valve covers, Edelbrock intake (with the name removed) carb, distributor, alternator and all the lines and hoses were sprayed rattle can orange. His guys bragged they painted it orange pissed on it, poured a whole bottle of Ripple on it then stabbed it with the crash boxed m-22 4 speed transmission. The car had steel wheels all around and slicks on the back, everything tires, and all had been painted with red oxide primer.
There’s no telling how much money was bet on that race, but it’s safe to saw it was a record for the day. I personally had $1000 bet which was a months pay back then. McDonald looked my car over as closely as I had his. There was never a question about land this was as much about bragging rights, as it was the money. We decided on a location for the race. The local street race site was just a few miles away, north of town on Rte 4 a lonely strip of road on the way to Germantown.
As soon as The Cincinnati Kid and I left, the parking lot emptied out. By the time we had lined the cars up for the first race there were cars lined up on both sides of the road for the entire ¼ mile and then some. We both heated the tires and lined up, at the flag drop I jumped out and took the lead, but at each jerk of the shifter the Chevelle inched closer and closer and in the last few feet Jack slowly eased by me.
Race #2 started out the same way, but I had come out a little harder and had a bigger lead as the Chevelles cubes started working, each shift bring him a little closer. First race Jack by half a car, 2nd race Bart by half a car. We were even at one up!! We had lined up for the third and deciding race when the night sky light up with the lights of the Ohio State patrol. Jack and I both took off and as we did a solid ½ mile of traffic closed the road behind us. The cops never had a chance of getting either one of us!!
Continued...

draggin50
02-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Jack and his guy followed me to deserted gas station where we decided neither one of us was willing to call it a night we still had one more race to do!! We went out State hwy 122 to a remote area near my Grandfathers farm. Nobody else was there, just me, the Cincinnati Kid, and his flagman friend Steve. We lined up Steve gave the signal and the race was on. Same thing again I jump out and here comes McDonald. The Kid hits second and the Chevelle makes a big jump, third and another jump, I don’t know If I can hold him off it’s going to be close Jack grabs high and instead of the car making as big jump forward has fallen back. Jack coasts off the road and I turn around and go back to find out what happened and learn the Chevelle has just broke the drive shaft. We pushed the car off the road and while Steve made himself comfortable amongst the trash in the Chevelles back seat Dave McDonald and I rode in the Camaro 29 miles to my shop where I had a Chevelle drive shaft. We took Jacks yoke with us because the M-22 yoke was the same size as a turbo 400 yoke and we would have to swap it out.
By the time we got back it was 4am and we were both exhausted. We also realized there would never be a clear winner between the two cars and called it a draw. We never had the opportunity to finish the race we started that crisp autumn night, but I can still remember hearing that Chevelle's engine as it screamed about 4 foot from my window and wondering if I could have taken him in that last race……………Bart

rtvickers
02-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Great read.

djom1cincy
02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Good story.

jad0087
02-27-2011, 02:00 PM
thats a good read, wish it was like that these days!

chad393na
02-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Thats cool! My dad talks about hanging out at the kountry kitchen around that time, so he has alot of cool stories as well. He had a '34 5-window ford coupe with a 375 horse 327/ 4 speed that he used to race there every weekend. I agree, I wish I grew up during that era.

Rick93coupe
02-27-2011, 04:10 PM
What a great story!

Kwik92GT
02-27-2011, 04:13 PM
thats a good read, wish it was like that these days!

Yeah, me too. More about attitude and posturing than anything else these days. Dayton used to have a GREAT cruising/street racing scene in the '80s. This story reminds me of then. :bigthumb Ault & James Speed Shop, blast from the past there, was just about the only game in town besides Georges' around here.

jad0087
02-27-2011, 04:21 PM
ya i live in kettering and have heard stories about woodman being a big street racing spot back in the day, wish we could get away with that stuff now, and have big meets where cops arent breaking it up for dumb reasons, usually everyones pretty chill at these late night meets and we still get busted most of the time, kinda sucks

Kwik92GT
02-27-2011, 04:28 PM
ya i live in kettering and have heard stories about woodman being a big street racing spot back in the day, wish we could get away with that stuff now, and have big meets where cops arent breaking it up for dumb reasons, usually everyones pretty chill at these late night meets and we still get busted most of the time, kinda sucks

They really started cracking down around here by late '80s after a really bad accident that killed a local street racer and his girlfriend. That wreck changed the whole game up. I didn't street race for several years after seeing that crash. Cops got REAL heavy on Woodman and surrounding area and you couldn't stop and park anywhere for more than 5 mins. without being chased out. :(

evil8
02-27-2011, 04:44 PM
They really started cracking down around here by late '80s after a really bad accident that killed a local street racer and his girlfriend. That wreck changed the whole game up. I didn't street race for several years after seeing that crash. Cops got REAL heavy on Woodman and surrounding area and you couldn't stop and park anywhere for more than 5 mins. without being chased out. :(

You talking about the Stacy crash?

Maximus
02-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah, me too. More about attitude and posturing than anything else these days. Dayton used to have a GREAT cruising/street racing scene in the '80s. This story reminds me of then. :bigthumb Ault & James Speed Shop, blast from the past there, was just about the only game in town besides Georges' around here.

Hamburger Heaven, was that the name of one of the cruise spots?

Kwik92GT
02-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Hamburger Heaven, was that the name of one of the cruise spots?

Yep! Right off Woodman Dr. on Airway Rd.. WPAFB is right there. :bigthumb

Kwik92GT
02-27-2011, 04:53 PM
You talking about the Stacy crash?

Yeah. Worst wreck I ever seen. Interior looked like it had a sledge hammer taken to it. He had just swapped out his running gear from the 70 or 71? Camaro into it. Still remember hearing it and jumping into my car to get there.

When I say "seen", I didn't see it. His best friend was in lane next to him. I was in parking lot just down the road where they had just left. Heard the whole thing go down.

evil8
02-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Supposedly his parents still have that Camaro. I worked with his brother a few years after the crash and said it was covered up and sitting.

draggin50
02-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah its a pretty good story. I love hearing about the old days! Ill have many stories to tell about Hillsboro to my kids when they grow up. Thats about the best Ill ever see it. Looks like some of us just missed out on the hot rod era!

NO SHOT
02-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Yeah its a pretty good story. I love hearing about the old days! Ill have many stories to tell about Hillsboro to my kids when they grow up. Thats about the best Ill ever see it. Looks like some of us just missed out on the hot rod era!

We made several trips to hillsboro in the early 90's:bigthumb

Rick93coupe
02-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Hamburger Heaven was the place to be to grab a gigantic burger and check out all the hotrods. Good times!

93snake
02-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Great story!

CNTLOSE
02-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Great story. I remember in the '90's BK in Middletown was the place to cruise. We would get ran out of there by the Middletown Cops and end up at the old Hills or Dillman's. People would be racing all night long down Breile Blvd. Nothing like that around here anymore...too bad.

draggin50
02-27-2011, 07:46 PM
We made several trips to hillsboro in the early 90's:bigthumb

I remember alot of Middletown cars comin up around 95-98. Was alot of quick cars that came down. Johnny Z in the Camaro was from up there wasnt he? I remember a Coupe that came up that was a road race car also.

jad0087
02-27-2011, 11:35 PM

ahhh icic, ya im only 21 so ive only heard of these stories haha, never heard of that accident tho, thats pretty sad

bbford
02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I remember alot of Middletown cars comin up around 95-98. Was alot of quick cars that came down. Johnny Z in the Camaro was from up there wasnt he? I remember a Coupe that came up that was a road race car also.We were over there a bunch also. Had a clypso green coupe, black gt and a black lx

draggin50
02-28-2011, 02:17 AM
We were over there a bunch also. Had a clypso green coupe, black gt and a black lx

I think I remember the cars. I wish cell phones with video was around back then! I had a big bulky VHS recorder then and it was hard as hell to get good video at night.

chad393na
02-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Great story. I remember in the '90's BK in Middletown was the place to cruise. We would get ran out of there by the Middletown Cops and end up at the old Hills or Dillman's. People would be racing all night long down Breile Blvd. Nothing like that around here anymore...too bad.

That was definately the hangout on friday/saturday night in the mid/ late 80's also. We would pull out in front of the BK and line them up right there at the light. We would alternate between there and the old hills dept store. I had a yellow '74 cuda with a 360/auto and got my ass handed to me by 80's fox bodys all the time. Car looked awesome, but damn was it slow!

pegasus
02-28-2011, 12:14 PM
I just asked dad about it and he said he only went a few times b/c it was full of hill jacks

black90lx
02-28-2011, 12:22 PM
My dad tells me about them days. He had a 67 gto with a built 69 judge motor that my gradma sent off to somewhere in kentucky to get built. His car ran 11.0's on street tires and 10.0's on slicks. He had a set carbs in the trunk he would swap out before a race.

Rick93coupe
02-28-2011, 01:28 PM
I just asked dad about it and he said he only went a few times b/c it was full of hill jacks

Hill jacks from Middletown? Say it aint so! =)

Kwik92GT
02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Hill jacks from Middletown? Say it aint so! =)

:popcorn: Rick just opened a can. :lol:

86NotchGT
02-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Awsome story and how about that Germantown made yb.

89johnny
02-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Great story man. I love reading all these old stories! I swear i was born in the wrong era!

bronzeLX
03-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I remember the Middletown scene back in 84, 85, was cruising a 72 340 Duster, some of you may remember that car. Anybody remember Weavers white 67 malibu had a 302 dz motor with a tunnel ram and twin holleys was said to run low 11's always had slicks where the back seat was supposed to be. How about some of the Hemi cars Rosey built, there was a 70 Roadrunner with a Hemi and a nitrous bottle between the bucket seats. Rosey had a Challenger that faced off one night with a Trans Am pace car with a 455SD and nitrous, rosey gave him 2 cars, let him go first and still beat him by 2 cars. I quit hanging out there about 87, cops got bad.
Used to deal Pontiac parts with a guy in Moraine named Bud that used to cruise the Kountry kitchen back in the day, he used to have a 68 Ram Air ll Firebird and 69 Trans Am. Drank alot of beer with Bud listening to his stories about the good old days.

Squale iii
03-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Shit, from 2004-2007 I had a blast! I can't imagine how much better it was a few decades ago. I'm just still amazed I never got a street racing ticket LOL.

Kwik92GT
03-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Shit, from 2004-2007 I had a blast! I can't imagine how much better it was a few decades ago. I'm just still amazed I never got a street racing ticket LOL.

Hope you were knocking on wood while you typed this. :D

Squale iii
03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Hope you were knocking on wood while you typed this. :D

lol. I toned it down alot. Last year I think I only went to a handful of meets. Even then I didn't race much. When I race now it's on the spot, someone happens to be next to me, bam let's do this shit! It's not planned out in a parking lot with a pack of hiyenas (sp?) following with cameras attracting attention lol. To be honest I'd like to get to the track more this year. I'm hopefully starting a new job soon and if I do I'll be able to go to the track often I hope.

babiixoxbritty
03-02-2011, 12:36 AM
i remember when i was real young going to hamburger heaven with my dad, then it moved to hail n harty. i also remember people meeting up at the old contractors wherehouse on woodman. my buddy had a blue 4 door v8 chevette we would take up there. i also remember my first trip to the bk in middletown in the mid 90s, i was young but i had some older buddys that had a monza with a 355 and built auto. he got waxed by a bolt on notch back on 73. time flys. but i loved the story that started this post. anybody ever seen the movie 2 lane blacktop? if not i reccomend it, old school street race movie, prob. the most realistic.

93whitenotch
03-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Great story, makes me wish I grew up in that era. My exs grandpa use to hang out up there, and raced his 50s victoria addition fairlane that had a 312 with solid lifters. He still to this day has the car and a 67 fast back with 4 spd and 289. Both cars are still in good shape. He told me a couple stories about those days. I know we couldn't really get it back to how it was then, but I think there should be a place that everyone goes and meets up on the weekends to hang out, talk cars, and cruize during the warm months. Don't have to have racing goin on to have a good time.

bronzeLX
03-02-2011, 05:56 AM
In Carlisle they have a cruise in every Thursday in the summer at PH'S , they are usually between 20-40 cars, would be a good place to meet up and BS. Only 2-3 mustangs ever make it out, hope to get one of ours running to make out this year. In the Burg they have one 4 times a year, again not many Mustangs but it is much larger, maybe 80 cars. They shut down the main street where Bullwinkles is, sometimes have a live band, plenty of food. Good times, lasts from like 4-9.

draggin50
03-02-2011, 10:12 AM
2 Lane Blacktop is a kick ass movie! Also Born to run is good too!

jad0087
03-02-2011, 03:11 PM
i remember when i was real young going to hamburger heaven with my dad, then it moved to hail n harty. i also remember people meeting up at the old contractors wherehouse on woodman. my buddy had a blue 4 door v8 chevette we would take up there. i also remember my first trip to the bk in middletown in the mid 90s, i was young but i had some older buddys that had a monza with a 355 and built auto. he got waxed by a bolt on notch back on 73. time flys. but i loved the story that started this post. anybody ever seen the movie 2 lane blacktop? if not i reccomend it, old school street race movie, prob. the most realistic.

bring me that damn move over!!! i wanna borrow it!! ever since you showed me some of the clips on youtube i cant wait to see it

93whitenotch
03-02-2011, 04:13 PM
In Carlisle they have a cruise in every Thursday in the summer at PH'S , they are usually between 20-40 cars, would be a good place to meet up and BS. Only 2-3 mustangs ever make it out, hope to get one of ours running to make out this year. In the Burg they have one 4 times a year, again not many Mustangs but it is much larger, maybe 80 cars. They shut down the main street where Bullwinkles is, sometimes have a live band, plenty of food. Good times, lasts from like 4-9.
Me and some of my buddies would be down to come to these, just need to know where exactly they are and when on the one that's 4 times a year.

bronzeLX
03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Me and some of my buddies would be down to come to these, just need to know where exactly they are and when on the one that's 4 times a year.No problem, I will keep you posted on time and date of the first one, gotta get there early to get a spot on the main street.

89johnny
03-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Does anyone close to the Milford area ever go to the cruise ins at kroger on 28? That would be a great place to meet up weekly! im dying for them to start up this year!

cobra429boss
03-02-2011, 09:43 PM
title of the thread should say middletown before metcalf racing lol

SLWB16hatch
03-03-2011, 07:43 PM
man thats an awesome story. hell i remember riding to other hills (at the time it was hills, now its aims), or to the old white castle that was on the corner of breiel and grand. it wasnt anything to see 20-30 races a night and never see a cop, or when you did see one he was flagging a race! lol.(yes there were a couple cool cops) but hell at the time i was like 5 so that would have been 92....its sad the way middletown is now with actually seeing how its went downhill from then til now...

93whitenotch
03-03-2011, 08:08 PM
No problem, I will keep you posted on time and date of the first one, gotta get there early to get a spot on the main street.
Sounds good man, can't wait!

SLWB16hatch
03-03-2011, 08:48 PM
this is josh's dad btw
street racing in Middletown use to be the shit, hanging at white castle going down to Oxford state road or lefferson, breiel or 73 and see 3 or 4 at a time and no cops but that was the late 80's to mid 90's when it was fun. Me in the GREEN BEAN snapping off everyone from dayton to northern Ky, of coarse we ( me and Travis ) was hated so bad that the other people around town would call people from out of town to try to get us beat, our biggest rivalry was from Anthony form Dayton with his red firebird always like making him mad by saying i was gonna take his big mac money......lol.....he is not with us anymore, but me and him became real good friends over the years. brings back some good memories....those were the days................Metcalf WHO?....who is he?
P.S. Rick i got your hilljack........LOL

Rick93coupe
03-03-2011, 11:00 PM
our biggest rivalry was from Anthony form Dayton with his red firebird always like making him mad by saying i was gonna take his big mac money......lol.....he is not with us anymore, but me and him became real good friends over the years. brings back some good memories....those were the days................Metcalf WHO?....who is he?
P.S. Rick i got your hilljack........LOL

LOL Mike, I was wondering why nobody touched that. I was asking about Anthony the other day, he used to wait till the end of the night at Kilkare and bust out a good # and put on a hell of a show with that car. Haven't seen it or him in years but I didn't know he passed.

SLWB16hatch
03-04-2011, 07:41 AM
LOL Mike, I was wondering why nobody touched that. I was asking about Anthony the other day, he used to wait till the end of the night at Kilkare and bust out a good # and put on a hell of a show with that car. Haven't seen it or him in years but I didn't know he passed.

the story i got from Ronnie with the black malibu from dayton is that he got shot over some stupid shit.......what a waste, he was always good for a 100 or 2...........lol....................R.I.P Anthony