PDA

View Full Version : ARGH

BlazinEagle
03-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Damnit just when you think there is a little sunshine in your future all you get is shit in your face. Two days ago my house only had power to half of it (one side of the panel was working) it took about 4 hours for it to come back on. Not that big of a deal but still a pita! So this morning the same thing. I check the box and one side has 120 volts and the other has 9 volts.
My wife calls duke and they send someone out. Around 10am I get a call from my wife and tells me that the wire that goes to my house is messed up. She also tells me that it is going to cost me $700 to fix it. The duke guy told her it would be free if the problem would have been within 2 feet of the transformer and since it is 2 feet 6 inches it is not covered!!!!!! So there went all my fucking cash I was going to put into the stang.

So not only am I out $700 but I still have my stang stuck in my driveway without any cash to fix it.

84stang
03-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I think I would have to dispute the extra 6 inches. Sounds like crap to me.

Mista Bone
03-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Thats a load of crap.

They can put a splice in, only take 10 minutes.

thecollector
03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
You are responsible for everything past the meter. Never heard of 2ft thing unless he's giving you 2 ft out of the meter into the house. If your meter is a socket style (if it plugs into the box and acts as an inline fuse) id yank it out and do the repair myself. If it is a lever style throw it down and fix it. If it is on the input side of the meter it should be their problem. Copper is pricey but $700 still buys quite a bit. Tree limb took the meter off the side of my dad's house and duke rehung it free but wouldn't touch past the meter into the service panel. Post a pic. Good Luck.

bobtsgt
03-08-2011, 09:26 PM
yeah get a pic up. that is some real bull shit. worse case get a fiberglass pole and pull the bitch down. now its their problem lol

BlazinEagle
03-09-2011, 04:33 PM
It is a buried line so pulling it down was not an option. Also it is not right at my house it is by the sidewalk that it happened. I did not get any pictures but I did just pay to have them fix it. I saw the line and it looked as if it had caught fire underground and burnt about a 1 foot piece of the line to char. The guy who did the repair said it probably happened because of a rock settling on the wire and rubbed a hole in it when my lot was backfilled. I had the house built years ago.

bobtsgt
03-09-2011, 04:36 PM
so did he run a whole new line or just spliced it?

BlazinEagle
03-09-2011, 04:52 PM
new line which is about 50ft.

dragula1986gt
03-09-2011, 10:18 PM
i do work like this duke was responsable for that you payed for nothing

thecollector
03-10-2011, 01:01 AM
i do work like this duke was responsable for that you payed for nothing

Id go to the office and rip somebodies arse. Dragula is right, they are responsible for everthing before the meter. Is your meter @ the street or is it @ the house?

fastone
03-10-2011, 07:24 AM
In KY duke is responsible from where you sub up your wire for them to hook into above the meter for above ground (normally 8-10 foot above the meter). Underground is completely different. I don't know how far from their supply is their's. I know it is not that far. And this is in KY

fastone
03-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Something else, KY I believe underground has to be in conduit. Along with surrounded with 8-12 inches of sand all the way around the wire. Does that not have to be done in Ohio.

BlazinEagle
03-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Meter is at my house.

BlazinEagle
03-10-2011, 03:29 PM
From Duke's website:
For residential installations in Ohio and Kentucky, Duke Energy installs and maintains the overhead service line (1) and electric meter (6).
Installation and maintenance of the underground service line (7), attachment hardware (2), weatherhead (3), riser (4), and meter box (5) is the customer’s responsibility. If the riser extends through the roof or eave, installation and maintenance is also the responsibility of the customer. These are typically installed and maintained by a licensed electrician.

fastone
03-10-2011, 05:49 PM
So if Im reading their legal crap right, it is not their problem for underground stuff past their transformer. Sucks what happened, just another way Duke screws everyone! I'm betting though probably could have found someone on here to help you for alot cheaper, but probably would not have been done as quick.

redfirepearlgt
03-10-2011, 06:32 PM
That sucks!!!! Thas over 100 bucks an inch!!!! I thought they were responsible all the way to the meter. Was it between the meter and the pole? If so I'd dispute it as well. My meter is in the basement so I wonder how that would pan out in the same given situation. Sorry for your ill fortune.

BlazinEagle
03-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I am sure you would take it in the rear like I did, but oh well right Duke always screws us when they can. Yeah probably could have been cheaper, but my fridge, extra freezer and all three of my Tv's are on the one side. I did not have power to anything that pretty much ran on 110 except for one bedroom. (which is where my computer is) thank god I still had stangbangerz!

mustang8998
03-10-2011, 08:05 PM
That sucks!!!! Thas over 100 bucks an inch!!!! I thought they were responsible all the way to the meter. Was it between the meter and the pole? If so I'd dispute it as well. My meter is in the basement so I wonder how that would pan out in the same given situation. Sorry for your ill fortune.

It's $1.16 an inch and it is underground.

redfirepearlgt
03-10-2011, 09:44 PM
She also tells me that it is going to cost me $700 to fix it. The duke guy told her it would be free if the problem would have been within 2 feet of the transformer and since it is 2 feet 6 inches it is not covered!!!!!! So there went all my fucking cash I was going to put into the stang.

So not only am I out $700 but I still have my stang stuck in my driveway without any cash to fix it.

It's $1.16 an inch and it is underground.

According to what the man said - it was 6 inches beyond the two foot mark so he has to pay $700.00 bucks to have it fixed. Had it been at the 2 foot mark Duke would have fixed it @ their cost right? Therefore $700.00 divided by 6 inches = $116.67 for every inch over the 2 foot mark. Its a play on numbers comment.

Either way that sucks Blazin!!! Is there any warranty after they are done or is it as is?