PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Labrador Retriever?

CNTLOSE
03-19-2011, 08:52 PM
We are going to look at a Labrador Retriever tomorrow. It is at a foster home now and part of the Greater Dayton Labrador Retriever Rescue. Our Boxer is 10 years old and not as playful as he once was. So we are looking to get a nice dog that the kids can play with...allowing our Boxer to retire from that duty.

Just wanted to hear any pros and cons on the breed from people who have experience with the breed.

Gearhead
03-19-2011, 09:04 PM
We are going to look at a Labrador Retriever tomorrow. It is at a foster home now and part of the Greater Dayton Labrador Retriever Rescue. Our Boxer is 10 years old and not as playful as he once was. So we are looking to get a nice dog that the kids can play with...allowing our Boxer to retire from that duty.

Just wanted to hear any pros and cons on the breed from people who have experience with the breed.

We have a chocolate Lab, 9 years old now. They're very loyal and smart, although they can be kind of crazy and energetic their first few years. They definitely need to be exercised to burn off their excess energy. Very easy to train as well and ours is great with our young nieces and nephews.

bbford
03-19-2011, 09:11 PM
We have a Yellow Lab he is 11 now and is great with our 2 year old and acts like hes still a puppy great energy and loves playing with the baby

CNTLOSE
03-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys, it is nice to hear actual owner experiences and not just rely on unknown postings on the internet. Our four kids are between 7 and 2, so it is good to hear they do good with the little ones.

97dustang
03-19-2011, 09:32 PM
growing up I had a golden retriever, they are great dogs, especially with kids. One of my buddys has a chocolate lab, they are big dogs, we make fun of his tail and say it could clear a table. very very very nice and loving dog, i think it would make a great pet for you and your family

CNTLOSE
03-19-2011, 09:34 PM
growing up I had a golden retriever, they are great dogs, especially with kids. One of my buddys has a chocolate lab, they are big dogs, we make fun of his tail and say it could clear a table. very very very nice and loving dog, i think it would make a great pet for you and your family

Thanks :bigthumb, I grew up with a stinking Toy Poodle...I promised to never do that to my kids. I just hate watching our Boxer get old and how it is going to effect the little ones when his time comes.

CNTLOSE
03-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Here are some pics of him from the website.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/cntlose92/OH468_18872207-1-x.jpg

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/cntlose92/OH468_18872207-2-x.jpg

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/cntlose92/OH468_18872207-3-x.jpg

97dustang
03-19-2011, 09:54 PM
great looking dog! make sure you take your boxer with you to go meet him to make sure the dogs mesh well. If it falls through and it doesnt feel like the right dog for you let me know, my mom volunteers at the butler county shelter and she can keep an eye open for something you may want, or she knows all the dogs in there so I'm sure she would love to help you find one that fits your family

CNTLOSE
03-19-2011, 10:03 PM
great looking dog! make sure you take your boxer with you to go meet him to make sure the dogs mesh well. If it falls through and it doesnt feel like the right dog for you let me know, my mom volunteers at the butler county shelter and she can keep an eye open for something you may want, or she knows all the dogs in there so I'm sure she would love to help you find one that fits your family

Great, thanks! :bigthumb

bronzeLX
03-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Good lookin fella, hope things work for ya.

chad393na
03-19-2011, 11:12 PM
I have had a golden retriever for 6 months now and it is one of the best dogs I have ever had! Extremely energetic dogs for sure, I can hardly keep up with mine!

Mista Bone
03-19-2011, 11:51 PM
THANK YOU for choosing from a foster/no kill shelter. All my spare change goes to their collection boxes at the vets I pick up at.

Glad mom can't see these pics :)

Dirtyd0g
03-19-2011, 11:52 PM
I had a golden and she was an amazing dog. If you spend about 45 minutes a day training them they can learn to do things you wouldn't even imagine. Most loyal dog I have ever seen great with kids. I used to hook her leash on my 10 yr old niece while I was making a run at thornhill, not for my niece to watch the dog for the dog to watch my niece. I could have taken that dog out in a field an told her to stay and she would have died waiting for me to return.
Alan

Stangman
03-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Had a black lab, got him when he was about 1. He had to be put down a few years ago but was about 15, and he was the best dang dog... smart as hell, fun and playful. Would let kids roll all over him. Just a great dog. R.I.P. Buddy :(

Also before that had a german shepherd part wolf... also super nice/smart/friendly dog....

firestang70
03-20-2011, 06:13 AM
I have 2 labs a yellow male 11 yrs old and black female 2 years old. They are wonderful dogs, intelligent, and great with kids. They need exercise daily. A Lab without exercise is a shaken up bottle of soda. Open and boom! lol

CNTLOSE
03-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all the replies!!! This sounds like a good breed for us then. We are going to go meet him after Church today and see if this one is a match for us. From talking to the foster parents...and now hearing from all of you...sounds like he should fit right in.

flyin2jz
03-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Best dog ever. I got a yellow from a buddy who was getting a divorce. I would never own another dog. I have 2 cockers as well and they suck compared to the lab. The lab will follow u every where you go and the other dogs just lay there. U know he doesn't want To but he follows anyway. Lol

Whyucryn
03-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Best dog ever. I got a yellow from a buddy who was getting a divorce. I would never own another dog. I have 2 cockers as well and they suck compared to the lab. The lab will follow u every where you go and the other dogs just lay there. U know he doesn't want To but he follows anyway. Lol

Does he still follow you in the bathroom and lick your ass as you get in and out of the shower???

Dipstick
03-20-2011, 12:28 PM
we have a black lab/rodesian ridgeback mix. We got him from the dayton rescource center. He was 3 months old when we got him and is now 4. We have 3 great danes also and out of the four of them our lab is the only one who will not run off of the farm. He goes to the neighbors house down the road then realizes he is away from the farm and comes flying back home. The are very energetic and loyal dogs. He follows me around when I am out bush hogging or doing something else. He is great with my 1 year old and our 2 month old. He is a bit skiddish around strangers though. Not sure why.

chad393na
03-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Does he still follow you in the bathroom and lick your ass as you get in and out of the shower???

Haha thats some funny shit! :lol:

flyin2jz
03-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Yea he still does it. I'm not proud but u really got to be careful wih him. I now turn the shower on wearing my underpants or he jams his nose straight up my ass. I think the previous owner musta had some issues. But he is the man.

flyin2jz
03-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Guess u never know what ur getting with a used dog.

bestracing
03-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Congrats and we too adopt from the places that bring dogs into PetSmart. Although the last adoption was a stray that someone dumped in our neighborhood.

I've owned three lab mixes. First one was a Lab Boxer mix. Great dog and she would watch over our son when we brought him home from the hospital. It was like he was her puppy.

All of our Lab mixes were/are very loyal dogs. Like said before they will have a lot of energy that needs to be excersised off. Also Labs can develop seperation anxiety. Since they are a very social breed they need to be at the Alpha's attention. This can turn into destructive tendacies but all the dog is going to know is that your punishing him and yelling at him is attention for him and it can lead to more. There are ways to handle this. there are some good info in some training books and you can find stuff on line. One of the ways we handled it with one of our dogs was to leave the TV on. The talking on the shows helped calm them down.

Oh, one more thing. It's best to introduce the two dogs in a neutral place. At home the older dog is in charge and can build up bad exceitable energy that the other dog will sense and things might not go good. When we bring a new dog home they meet each other in our front driveway. This is outside of their territory and it has worked out very well for all the dogs I have had (7 including the two I have now).

CNTLOSE
03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone, a lot of good info. I am curious how Duke will do meeting another larger dog. He has always done good with small dogs that we have house sit, but this would be the first dog equal to his size.

We did go meet him today. He was full of energy when he first met us. But after a few minutes he was very calm while on the leash. I walked him a little bit and even got him to fetch a ball and bring it back...he has trouble bringing it back to the foster mom...lol. He already knows commands sit, heel, and high five. Although you have to be careful on the high five as he can jump...lol.

We are still having our background check by the Rescue and should know something soon. We thought about introducing the two dogs at a nearby dog park in the mean time.

blown86lx
03-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Wow I just saw this thread and we adopted a lab retriever mix from a shelter. He only had 6 days left he was very badly beaten by his old owners and when they moved out the left him chained up and just left. Lucky for us the neighbors saw him out the and fed him and gave him water until the shelter came and got him. He looks almost exactly like the dog u are getting and is the best dog ever. Very loyal and protective of my wife with lots of energy. U will be very happy if he is the way charlie (our dog) is kind and very loving. I will upload a picture of him tommorow u will shit he looks amost identical to him. Good luck and good choice on the adption if more people would do it and not pay 2000 for a" show dog" the shelters would be alot better off.

pegasus
03-21-2011, 10:26 AM
labs = best dogs ever!

Markcore
03-21-2011, 12:08 PM
My in-laws have a 7yr old chocolate lab. Great dog, loves to swim. and is great with kids. He's showing his age however. Kinda moves a bit slower.

My boxer on the other hand. We had to give him to my in-laws to since he snapped at my daughter. :confused:

blown86lx
03-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Here is ours we adopted. He is great!!

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/calabschultz/2011-03-21_14-17-30_645.jpg

CNTLOSE
03-21-2011, 09:12 PM
WOW!!!...they do look like they came from the same litter.

We have him at our house tonight for a trial period. Make sure him and Duke can get along. Doing good so far, other than the chewy bones. Duke never had any interest in them until tonight when the new dog decided to eat them. :lol:

blown86lx
03-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Yeah thats how charlie is. The only time I have ever seen him be aggressive with another dog is when my buddys great dane came up and tried to take his chew toy out of his mouth it was on then. but other than that he is great around any breed of dog large or small.He plays kinda rough with the small dogs but just tell him to be easy and he settles down.Hope eveything works out for you they are great dogs!!:bigthumb

buckeye6669
03-22-2011, 01:32 PM
i no where are black lab pups r for sale if you want a pup.and my cousin was tryin to give away a boxer pup just the other day if ur interested

CNTLOSE
03-22-2011, 03:37 PM
i no where are black lab pups r for sale if you want a pup.and my cousin was tryin to give away a boxer pup just the other day if ur interested

Thanks, but we are wanting to get one a little older. Pup's are just too much work with the 4 kids we have. But I do appreciate the offer. :bigthumb

inferno50
03-22-2011, 11:48 PM
My soon to be mother in law fosters for them. They are great dogs I have three. They are very smart and very good at playing stupid when they want to.I have a six year old son and they are great with him

inferno50
03-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Yea he still does it. I'm not proud but u really got to be careful wih him. I now turn the shower on wearing my underpants or he jams his nose straight up my ass. I think the previous owner musta had some issues. But he is the man.

I think that dog was looking for peanut butter. Lol. Sorry had to say it

CNTLOSE
03-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Well we had "Higgins" here for two days and we discovered his prior owner must have played a little rough with him. When it was time to go to his crate a couple times he would bark and growl. He would then try to play tug of war using our forearms. But we are not ones to give up, and the rescue has a free boot camp. So Higgins left for boot camp a couple days ago. We went today to meet with the trainer and Higgins. What a big difference in everything. The trainer said he does not know why they let us take him home before he did an evaluation on him. So anyhow we will be picking him up from boot camp next Saturday and then in May we will be going once a week for group training. They can train...or help us learn to train him to do almost everything. Including turning lights on an off, answering the phone, and getting a cold one out of the fridge...this should be fun!

2Kblacksleeper
03-26-2011, 09:26 PM
That's Pretty neat Matt.
He seemed to have a good temperment when I was there last week.

John

CNTLOSE
03-26-2011, 09:39 PM
That's Pretty neat Matt.
He seemed to have a good temperment when I was there last week.

John

Yeah, his main issue was when it was time to go into his crate. Unless he wanted too, it was not good for us. He was perfect in every other way so that is why we did not want to give up on him. Having a professional trainer will be the only way we go from now on.

'92Stang
03-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Great Dogs! Best of luck to you. I've had several over the years. I have a female Black Lab who is 16 years old, and her hips are starting to get bad.:( She is the best dog. First time I took her canoeing with me, I jumped in the river to cool off. Needless to say she soon followed and proceeded to claw the living crap out of me thinking she was a lap dog in 8 ft of water. She's the first to let me know if the horses are acting up, and the best companion/babysitter for my 7 year old daughter. Keep us updated on his progress..:bigthumb

CNTLOSE
03-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Great Dogs! Best of luck to you. I've had several over the years. I have a female Black Lab who is 16 years old, and her hips are starting to get bad.:( She is the best dog. First time I took her canoeing with me, I jumped in the river to cool off. Needless to say she soon followed and proceeded to claw the living crap out of me thinking she was a lap dog in 8 ft of water. She's the first to let me know if the horses are acting up, and the best companion/babysitter for my 7 year old daughter. Keep us updated on his progress..:bigthumb

Will do! I am glad to hear about the swimming and being good with children, as we have 4 between the ages of 7 and 2. The trainer lives next to a lake and swimming will be one of the lessons. We are really looking forward to having a dog that will be playful and smart...Our Boxer is great but he is more of guard dog. Great with the family, not so great with everyone else. (Which I like.)

NUTTSGT
03-27-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm a little late to this party but I will back up what the others have said about Labs, best dog out there. We have a Yellow Lab named Bode and he's my buddy. Whoever breed the lab retriever with this temperment, loyal and ability to learn should have won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Here's Bode on a rare ocassion out in the garage.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/nuttsgt/11222010backcornergarage004.jpg

Blackballed
03-27-2011, 10:35 AM
We have owned 2 chocolates, yellow, and a black. All wonderful dogs and very smart. Or 13 yo female chocolate was as playful as a pup. RIP Brown dog.

pegasus
04-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Will do! I am glad to hear about the swimming and being good with children, as we have 4 between the ages of 7 and 2. The trainer lives next to a lake and swimming will be one of the lessons. We are really looking forward to having a dog that will be playful and smart...Our Boxer is great but he is more of guard dog. Great with the family, not so great with everyone else. (Which I like.)

hey not sure how far south you are but a great place to take a dog swimming is caesars creek @ the young road boat dock there arnt any stickups to worry about and most of the time there arnt alot of ppl around also if somthing does happen i live right down the road

to get there take 71 north to exit 45 turn right on to sr 73 then make a left on to sr380 take that for about 6miles going past the white/tan fire house on the left about a half mile after the fire house turn left on to roxxanna new burlington rd take that for a mile and turn left on to compton after another mile you will come to a stop sigin go stright that will bee young road and it will end at the boat dock/in the water if you ever go down there pm me and ill tell ya wich house is mine

CNTLOSE
04-05-2011, 03:55 PM
hey not sure how far south you are but a great place to take a dog swimming is caesars creek @ the young road boat dock there arnt any stickups to worry about and most of the time there arnt alot of ppl around also if somthing does happen i live right down the road

to get there take 71 north to exit 45 turn right on to sr 73 then make a left on to sr380 take that for about 6miles going past the white/tan fire house on the left about a half mile after the fire house turn left on to roxxanna new burlington rd take that for a mile and turn left on to compton after another mile you will come to a stop sigin go stright that will bee young road and it will end at the boat dock/in the water if you ever go down there pm me and ill tell ya wich house is mine

Thanks for the info...I actually live in Red Lion so only 15 minutes or so away.

pegasus
04-06-2011, 11:28 AM
shoot my grandpa owned the auto shop in red lion