PDA

View Full Version : Who's into old/vintage rack stereo systems?

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
My girlfriend has this old Pioneer house rack stereo she's had since she was about 18 or so, which would date it to be from the late '90s. The internet says the speakers are junk, but MY GOD does this thing shake the house. Put in any kind of rap/bass and it slams like nothing i've heard in a house stereo for a loooong time. It's a Pioneer CX-4000 receiver and a M-4000 amp, with a duel cassette deck and a 101 disk CD changer.

Mista Bone
03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
back when amps were AMPS!!!!!!

I still have all my Technics from the 80's and early 90's along with two Fisher speakers I got from Service Mechandise.

2Kblacksleeper
03-24-2011, 01:39 AM
My soon to be ex wife (as of next wednesday) stole all my old kenwood stuff. That shit would thump the whole house and it was only 100 watts.

2Kblacksleeper
03-24-2011, 01:40 AM
I banged my first girl friend with that stereo covering up the noise. Lol

There is alot of value in that.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Lol just remind the soon to be ex of it's history maybe she'll give it back. This amp is 150w and i think the subs are only 100 but it sounds insane. If you turn it past half way it hurts your ears.

Mista Bone
03-24-2011, 03:59 AM
Mine was only 45-50 watts but pure and clean power, not the discrete amp shit of today.

I haven't rattled the neighborhood in some time, I might have to wake up moms old Synergistic speakers.

To give you an idea of my teenage years, I'd send the speaker level out from one receiver into the Phono inputs of second receiver, then onto her speakers.

Time to wake up the neighbors!

marauder
03-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Back in the day, nothing beat a pair of Cerwin Vega dual 15" cabinets.

Never heard another stereo as loud as that in someone's house. It would knock so hard the projection television was in the shop at least once every year to re-align the picture.

I remember having an 18" cerwin vega stroker pro and a 2000w amp hooked up in my friends living room.... When you'd talk it sounded like you were talking into a fan the air was moving so much in the room. If you tried to watch television it looked like the picture was jumping around the room because it would literally vibrate your head/eyes.

I still would love to have a nice pair of vegas, but they're so hard to get. Best buy used to sell them, but now all they have worth mentioning are Bose.

Here's what that sub looked like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9PSA06kRbQ

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Yeah Vegas were the shit back then. You can still find them...i just saw a set of 15s at one of the flea markets a while back.

I'll never forget this one time at Circuit City in Eastgate back when the first Down album came out..i was just a teen, and me and some friends were just poking around looking at stuff we couldn't afford. One of the salesmen came and started talking to us and says he's bored and takes us into their audio room (back then it was all closed off so you could crank them up and not disturb the rest of the store). He put in that album, which was a real shock coming from how this guy looked, and he blasted that stuff and it was like standing in front of a stage live. I bought the album on the way out lol.

marauder
03-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Won't let me edit my last post now...

More vega goodness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY3AOglBWr4 - My dream home setup pretty much....sorry their taste in music blows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fl87u3X9Z8 - Car setup? lol...my hearing is messed up enough as it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aA4FQBovJA - New age Stroker Pros, peep the excursion on this sub, lol.

skeptiq
03-24-2011, 08:57 AM
I just got a Technics SL D1 direct drive turntable yesterday as a matter of fact...

bobtsgt
03-24-2011, 09:10 AM
I use to have 8 floor speakers at one time going threw an old receiver my dad had. Use to pound in my old room. Always looked forward to the parents leaving so I could share with the neighbors lol I now only have 2 of the pioneer boxes left. The ones my dad hitched hiked with from Alabama to Ohio. They have sentimental value to them.

mad max
03-24-2011, 09:21 AM
If i was that person in the first youtube video in the house , i would worry more about my flatscreen than the remote. Vega's always did kick ass.

firestang70
03-24-2011, 10:38 AM
I had a pioneer 100 watt receiver and 15" Cerwin Vegas and they always hit hard. then my youngest two when toddlers thought it was fun to poke holes in them :( That was a great sounding system.

racingrick
03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Where do you go nowadays to buy new audio equipment like this?

marauder
03-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Most of the old style rack systems are sold online only because it costs too much to ship to store and take up too much floor space.

I've got a nice stero that is older that I may be looking to sell cheap, been thinking about upgrading since I live really close to my neighbors now. If anyone is interested it's a pioneer (dolby digital - yeah, it's old but looks/works like brand new) 100x5 watt 5 chanel head unit. Two Jensen speakers and an 8" powered sub. I have no clue what it's worth, just shoot me an offer. I can take pics if needed. I'd say the stuff is at least 10 years old, but will still get the cops called and sounds just as good as some of the sub $350 radios out there now in my opinion.

I'm just looking to go to something with a quality sound at a lower volume.

BlazinEagle
03-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I had the two 15" cerwin vegas towers (more like trunks!)...just gave them to a buddy last year and yes they would rattle your neighbors windows out.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-28-2011, 03:45 PM
My uncle had two cabinets with two 15s in each one, i don't remember the brand but they were ridiculous.

My mom just dug out a Technics CD player she doesn't want if anyone is interested.

Black92LX
03-28-2011, 08:42 PM
My garage setup is a Pioneer Recievce built in 1979 paired to a set of Pioneer Speakers built in 1983.
There is just something about the sound of a good old fashioned tube amp.