PDA

View Full Version : I like good deals too but seriously?

Rick93coupe
03-24-2011, 07:19 PM
I've bought and sold a shit load of stuff through the yrs on craigslist, sbz, the corral, the turbo forums, you name it. People lately want the world. You put a fair price up for a product, place good details about it, what you need out of the item and inevitably your going to be offered half of what your asking for and whether or not you'll cover shipping. What the hell is up with people these days?

Sure I'll sell you a set of wheels and send them to Seattle, WA for $200.00
Stupid asses. :rolleyes:

cstreu1026
03-24-2011, 11:05 PM
I hate trying to sell anything anymore.

700hp04mystic
03-24-2011, 11:24 PM
iam suprised you were offered cash fom cl. its usually stupid shit like bbq grills.

cstreu1026
03-24-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't even bother with craigslist.

MWoods26
03-25-2011, 12:03 AM
I will give you your asking price if you deliver to me. LOL.. I sold a part today to a banger and its the first thing I have sold on here in months. 90% of my parts sell on the corral with in a day or two of posting them over there for my asking price. Dont know why I bother to post stuff on here anymore. I guess I just still have love for stangbangerz because I remember how it used to be before a bunch of young punks registered

700hp04mystic
03-25-2011, 07:40 AM
oh here we go again blame it all on the newbies.

Markcore
03-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Ive sold 5 cars in the past 2 years, I know what you mean!!! :mad:

I had a guy offer me HALF of what I was asking on the buckeyestang board. I replied with WTF are you thinking, and I got flamed for it! :mad:

I like a good deal, and I'll even push a bit, but NEVER ask for someone to give it away. :tard:

05yellowgt
03-25-2011, 11:17 AM
I put up a parts sell off thread for go fast goodies on my stang over the winter on a couple of boards. I listed up the motor, blower, fuel system, trans, and the ONLY responses I got were asking how much I wanted for seats, suspension, hood, and I think rear end. I clearly stated that I was only selling the parts listed in the add because I wasn't getting rid of the car, only returning it back to mostly stock. People just don't give a shit anymore. They think because you are selling something that you must be desperate and they are doing you a favor buy taking something off of your hands.

Markcore
03-25-2011, 11:48 AM
I put up a parts sell off thread for go fast goodies on my stang over the winter on a couple of boards. I listed up the motor, blower, fuel system, trans, and the ONLY responses I got were asking how much I wanted for seats, suspension, hood, and I think rear end. I clearly stated that I was only selling the parts listed in the add because I wasn't getting rid of the car, only returning it back to mostly stock. People just don't give a shit anymore. They think because you are selling something that you must be desperate and they are doing you a favor buy taking something off of your hands.

Exactly!

evil8
03-25-2011, 01:18 PM
I have a bbq grill. Pics of the wheels?

Rick93coupe
03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
I do need a good grill.

Kwik92GT
03-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I'll trade ya my grill for 'em too, guarantee it to be sweeter than Evil's. Let me know. :bigthumb

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j23/Kwik92GT/2094.jpg

NXcoupe
03-25-2011, 02:41 PM
I sell a LOT of used parts, and use the different boards to get rid of them. I have a policy that I will put stuff up for sale on here and DSB and give it a week. If it hasn't sold on to corral and other boards, where they sell almost immediately for what I was asking or more. I agree, people think you are desperate to sell if you put it up for sale. It's really irritating any more. I get so tired of dealing with people that offer less than half of what you're asking. I always try to research and ask a fair price, so when I am asking 100 and you offer 40 shipped, I'm not going to do it.
Also got into a discussion with a guy on another board, about shipping. He told me it was my cost of doing business. I told him it was his cost of wanting my part and him choosing to live far away from me. He didn't like that. lol. He also bitched about paypal fees, said the same thing, cost of doing business. I said ok, so I won't take your paypal, but only a postal money order, that costs you 50 cents to mail it and a buck for the money order. its just the cost of doing business, right? lol. Gotta have fun with tools, or it's not worth it.

NXcoupe
03-25-2011, 02:42 PM
I'll trade ya my grill for 'em too, guarantee it to be sweeter than Evil's. Let me know. :bigthumb

Nice GREEL!!! yo.

SCHMUCKINGHAM
03-25-2011, 04:59 PM
I agree that things are getting out of hand these days with people offering way less than your asking. Makes me really think about NOT selling this turbo kit and just returning my AMS boost controller.

What really got me is when someone wanted to trade 800 bucks worth of gift cards for my Yates heads and the QFT carb I had for sale. :shakeshead:

cstreu1026
03-25-2011, 05:34 PM
That's the one good thing about Ebay, you generally don't have to deal with people making crazy offers. If it is priced right it sells and it its not you don't. Of course you end up having to take up the tail pipe on Ebay and Paypal fees but sometimes its worth it.

evil8
03-25-2011, 07:18 PM

Bring my grill back, Greg. Can't a guy leave anything on his front porch anymore?

Kwik92GT
03-25-2011, 11:13 PM
If you had wanted to keep it, you would have chained it there. Unsecured on porch = take me. :lol:

Rick93coupe
03-25-2011, 11:18 PM
He left it in the yard, it's fair game.

evil8
03-25-2011, 11:45 PM
At least both of my fridges are still on the porch.

skeptiq
03-28-2011, 04:36 PM
It comes down to necessity. Over the past couple years with the state of the economy it was pretty common to see someone selling off stuff at ridiculous prices to keep their house, car, etc... but they were only selling out of necessity. The buying public has become used to the lower prices, and now that things are ever so slightly improving, people aren't that desperate to sell stuff, or have recovered from whatever issues they had going on, so prices have gone back to fair market value, the problem is the general public hasn't responded yet to paying the normal price and still want the steals, not the deals.

There was a turbo coupe I was looking at about 9 months ago, sweet as all get out and the guy was basically giving it away and people were still lowballing him. If I would have had the extra money then, I would have given him his asking price and not even blinked. At the price he was offering it, it was already a steal, could have parted it out for at least two times his asking price... Man I wish I bought that car...

93snake
03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
I agree with just about everything everyone else has posted. But I would like to add this, some people just dont plan on buying and I think they just want to play games (fun for them I think). Others who are REALLY looking for that part or peice , know a good deal when they see it and "jump" all over it. As for myself, I have always felt that I would perfer to sell my stuff to someone local/ face-to-face (like swap meets) and , for me, thats why I put stuff up here first (and most time for less than I do elsewhere) but in the end I sell it to the guy who has the money. (even if that means ebay, craigslist, other websites, etc) I know there are alot of people who "expect" you to drop prices just because they say its not worth what you are asking (but I too try to price to sell, USED IS USED NOT NEW so some loss is expected but not EVERYTHING)... and my experiance has shown the next guy will pay my fair price. Even a few times I have sold BRAND NEW stuff and taken a small loss because I ended up not useing it, but I will not give it away. Heck I have even traded parts with people for parts I didnt really need to help get the price down for them to be able to buy my part , even tho I then have to work to find a buyer for that part too!
Anyhow, I say this is why you need to let it go when some moron makes a stupid offer. (maybe blow off some steam by posting a rant on your favorite forum :bigthumb ) Stepping off soapbox now....

bronzeLX
03-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Posted a very nice Chrysler mini van last year on CL for 3000 dollars, 1500 under book. In the add i said if you dont have the money dont call or text. Some guy offered me 1200 dollars! WTF!

Gene
03-28-2011, 11:48 PM
It's a basic rule of economics. An item is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it and what you are willing to sell it for. If you don't want to take the price someone else is offering, say no.

I guess I don't see what the issue is. Does it really waste that much of your time to respond to a text, PM, email, etc with "sorry, no"? I've sold quite a bit of stuff over the years on message boards, Craigslist, etc. If I don't like the price offered, I hold on to the item. If you only get (cash) offers that are significantly lower than what you want, maybe your price is too high.

ibstrokin
03-29-2011, 09:10 AM
I agree Gene, it's a part of the negotiating process, it will NEVER change, just part of doing business.

Rick93coupe
03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
In my case, obviously I said no but that's not the point. It's the ridiculousness of people to think you'll eat the shipping on something half way across the country, especially on items as big as wheels. I was asking 200.00 dollars for them.
Agreed people are going to try and low ball you and most of the time you end up saying no. I don't even necessarily care if they low ball me but I'll be damned if I take your low ball offer and ship it to you for free.

700hp04mystic
03-29-2011, 10:29 AM
like someone said it worth what someone will pay. a fox books for nothing but if its nice you can get good money. and book value means nothing unless your the bank. cl is a joke but you can sell stuff on there and its free so all in all its not to bad there is some good deals on there you have to take the good with the bad in everthing.