PDA

View Full Version : Transmission, driveline direction needed for Cherokee

ascCapri
03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Between my girlfriend and her son, we have always had a 4.0 jeep in the family, and needless to say the youngin' isn't as easy on his supposed pride and joy as he should be. In either case, he has a 1997 Jeep Cherokee with an auto trans, 4.0. He describes a large driveline vibration at higher speeds and also had some clunking going on, but not all the time. The clunking would happen from a stop, maybe accelerating straight or in a turn, but apparently has been going on for a while.

So, 3 weeks ago, he had it looked at by the people who rebuilt his transmission last May (not sure the details of the rebuild). This trans shop replaced the front axles as the u-joints at each end were sloppy and they seemed certain that was the issue.

Unfortunately, the problem he is having still exists, however the high speed front end wobble was indeed lessened. I drove it around last night and it almost feels like sloppy u-joints when you are on and off the throttle....however I noticed as it shifted into drive, it was kind of loud with a lurch of the vehicle, so I got underneith and had him shift it from neutral to drive or even reverse to drive and the entire car would lurch maybe an inch forward and the driveshaft would literally rotate 45 or so degrees????? I replaced the motor mounts a few months back, and the trans mount looks like it isn't flexing all the much.

I asked him to stand on the brakes and pull the ebrake and even still, the trans would engage rather hard and cause rotation to the driveshaft. Any ideas what this could be? I am not sure where the trans ends and the transfer case begins, but the driveshaft going to the rear diff is what I am talking about twisting. I see and feel no slop in the driveshafts, but as i said, this engagement is pretty clunky.

It has been apparently going on for a long while, so I think he can continue to drive it, but does this sound characteristic of anything you guys have seen in any other make and model?

Here is a vid I took, sorry for the low light. I couldn't zoom out any farther.

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/asccapri/?action=view&current=100_0375.mp4

Stangman
03-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Didnt watch the video, but we had a '95 Grand Cherokee and the T-case went out on it. Not sure if that is your issues, but I didnt see that you mentioned it anywhere in your post.

Had our front diff. rebuilt thinking that was the problem because it would bind up when turning the wheels and keep the jeep from moving. and also had some clunking noises as well. It's been 3-4 years though so I cant remember exactly

ascCapri
03-25-2011, 01:47 PM
You know that's interesting, because every Jeep we have had in our family doesn the same thing when in 4 wheel drive, the front wheels grab when turning as well....97 Cherokee, 99 Cherokee, 98 Grand, 2001 Cherokee, all with the 4.0 auto, and one 93 Grand 5.2 auto....they all showed that front end issue. This noise and clunk vibration feels like under my butt or possibly toward the rear.

ascCapri
03-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Pic of said Jeep, notice the custom MustangBoy wheels. Black chrome, with black lug nuts and I painted the center caps. She isn't as pretty as this anymore, lots of bumps and bruises throughout the body in just 2 short years.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/asccapri/jeep.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/asccapri/Jeepwheels.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/asccapri/JeepWheels-1.jpg

adragon72
03-25-2011, 01:59 PM
I picked up a 95 awhile back and I was having some of the same issues. I had to replace the front and rear pinion bearings according to jeep this is a very common problem. Also on some models the front shaft has two universal joints and a center peice with bearings( not sure what they call this). But when the little needle bearings go out you can have a lot of vibration.

I would check the fluid and for play in the front and rear diff.

thecollector
03-25-2011, 01:59 PM
The front wheels of any 4x4 will grab if 4x4 is engaged and a turn is made because the front axle needs to travel farther than the rear axle, the different axle speeds will result in the tires scrubbing or even chirping when on pavement since the T-case is locking them together.

Jack up the pumpkin and check for play in the diffs. Unfortunately these don't have freewheel hubs from the factory so diagnosing issues like this can be irritating.

thecollector
03-25-2011, 02:02 PM
I picked up a 95 awhile back and I was having some of the same issues. I had to replace the front and rear pinion bearings according to jeep this is a very common problem. Also on some models the front shaft has two universal joints and a center peice with bearings( not sure what they call this). But when the little needle bearings go out you can have a lot of vibration.

I would check the fluid and for play in the front and rear diff.

The center section which allows the driveshaft to shorten and lengthen is called a slip yolk. They often times cause vibrations. These jeeps have a lot of driveline components moving even in 2wd. Ring and pinions are common, especially if you've been wheeling.

Good looking XJ bTW.

ascCapri
03-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys, I didn't jack it up to check out the axles yet....I did however adjust the cable going to the throttle body and amazingly the condition improved......it's kind of hard to describe, but as I was laying under the car, I could hear a whirring sound inside the rear portion of the trans....is this the transfer case??? Anyways, I had him put it from neutral to reverse, to neutral to drive, and it engaged violently and made noise....I adjust the cable to the other extreme, the condition is virtually eliminated, not harsh engagement, and no longer a sound from the trans????? I don't really know what this means, but I still intend on checking over the entire Jeep, it has been on several off-road excursions that I know of (typically accompanied by a tattoo somewhere on the paint or worse).

Is there an inspection I can do on the slip yolk, running or not??? Thanks for your help guys.

COOP
03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
sorry to high jack here but that is a damn good looking jeep! those wheels really set it apart