PDA

View Full Version : Truck driver

SN95N/A
04-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Do we have any truck drivers on here?looking around jus seeing I drive for knight transportation but looking to switch jobs.

blue5.8
04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
what are you looking for i might be looking to hire a driver do you have ur class A and two years past experience?

SN95N/A
04-01-2011, 04:41 PM
I have class A ..been doin this for bout 4 or 5 months I just hate bein over the road driver,all ur big company's swift werner knight they all take in unexperianced drivers but they also don't treat u right at all!but until I get experiance I will have to stay with the company's that only know u by a number lol

blue5.8
04-01-2011, 04:44 PM
yeah my insurance woulnt insure anyone with out two years past experience
im a small company i have 10 trucks that run oh,ky,in and my guys are home every night

SN95N/A
04-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Yeah I understand the insurance thing I gotta do this for 2 year so I can go run local at lykins oil in milford that's where pops works same thing with insurance,I just don't like how these company's work,they say well we will have you three weeks on road two days back home but they lie too ya I've been out since beginning of march and im still way out in boise idaho,then they wanna run me like four days sit two days run four days etc.If im goin to be out here run the hell out of me they just sit me way to much too.

blue5.8
04-01-2011, 04:56 PM
i no man we own a trucking company and brokerage company but with new dot lays you can only run so much

mustang8998
04-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I have class A ..been doin this for bout 4 or 5 months I just hate bein over the road driver,all ur big company's swift werner knight they all take in unexperianced drivers but they also don't treat u right at all!but until I get experiance I will have to stay with the company's that only know u by a number lol

Unfortunately, you're stuck. The way the new rules are and with insurance companies wanting more experienced drivers, you'll have to put your time in.

The company I drive for wants experience AND a spotless record. It's only going to get worse, before it gets better.

Good luck and be safe.

mustang8998
04-01-2011, 09:08 PM
i no man we own a trucking company and brokerage company but with new dot lays you can only run so much

What company?

Just curious, so if you don't want to say, PM me.

SN95N/A
04-01-2011, 09:41 PM
I will prolly end up stickin it out here jus gettin my experiance to get on down at lykins in milford

93snake
04-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Most of the companies lie to you, otherwise they would have trouble getting drivers. Might want to give a few others a call and see but I think you will find the problems the same just about everywhere. I drive truck and have done it for a couple different compainies and have found the grass isnt really greener elsewhere. I own my own trucking company now, but with less than two years experiance I couldnt afford to hire (even if I was looking right now) and I think you will find that most places. I think CDL guys had to do the OTR to get their experiance.

Just a side note, is it hours of service OR lack of freight that is keeping you working 4 days and sitting 2. Just curious

SN95N/A
04-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah I know most OTR company's are like this especially the bigger one tell you what u wanna hear to get u to come work for them,its not hours its deffinately the lack of frieght they sent me to los angelos then to oregon and washington im currently in boise but they seem to be strugglin gettin frieght to go bak east.I kno u have to go thru rough times b4 it gets better I guess

93snake
04-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Understand I always hated going to Cali, seems hard to get frieght coming back and the sitting around gets old fast! I normally dont send my guys to Idaho but doesnt suprise me that its hard getting frieght headed east. I run to Nevada but I am lucky that it pays enough to DH back to Salt lake to get freight coming east.
Just a side note but I always hated the DOT in Oregon myself!

SN95N/A
04-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Um Yeah I don't like oregon DOT,surprising cali dot didn't really bother me,arizona dot was straight crazy when I went thru there the other day I don't know what got into them.

SN95N/A
04-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Quick question I know a good amount bout truckin from dad he been doin it for 25 plus years but here what im thinkin if I went and bought a truck and leased it on to someone not local but like otr company would I need prior expeeriance for that im jus curious?thanks for the input

93snake
04-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Not sure about that, guess it would not hurt to ask around, might even want to try expeditors... fedex custom critical, on-time, panther etc. They might take you on as an owner operator without the experiance and I would bet not alot of west coast runs either.

SN95N/A
04-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah I was thinkin cause schneider tankers are hiring owner op and it doesn't say nothin bout experiance they haul water treatment,thanks for input

93snake
04-02-2011, 02:32 PM
It would be worth a call... and as a side note, as you get more experiance you will find alot more jobs openup for you (at least that was what I found back in the day, alot of local jobs opened up)

SN95N/A
04-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah I wish I had that experiance I would be haulin fuel for lykins

93snake
04-02-2011, 03:11 PM
hang in there, you will get it! and then all the sitting and waitting will just be memories

SN95N/A
04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Heard that lol thanks man

mustang8998
04-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Another note, try to carry as many endorsements as you can get. Hazmat, tanker, doubles, heck even passenger. That will open more doors for you, as well.

We quit carrying hazmat this year, but I'm going to keep my endorsement, just to have it.

SN95N/A
04-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I got all my endorsements

mustang8998
04-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Cool, you're ahead of the game!

SN95N/A
04-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Do either one of you know anyone selling a spread axle 48ft flatbed im looking for one