PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Florida CCW permit?

89notch
04-12-2011, 01:35 PM
How long did it take to get? I sent mine in a while ago and still haven't received it. They cashed my check over a month ago. I'm going to Alabama this summer and they don't recognize my Ohio permit so I filed for a Florida.

What's the best state combo's to have? Also whats the cheapest route? Florida was 115.00 which I though was high.

Pops Fun
04-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi
I have New Hampshire and Pennsylvania which give me a lot...
New Hampshire gives me Alabama.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Have to go to Pennsylvania now they stopped doing theirs by mail..

New Hampshire is fairly cheap, gave me what I wanted except Texas.... I go there to fish.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/ is a good place to get info.

Florida is good but expensive.

89notch
04-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi
I have New Hampshire and Pennsylvania which give me a lot...
New Hampshire gives me Alabama.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Have to go to Pennsylvania now they stopped doing theirs by mail..

New Hampshire is fairly cheap, gave me what I wanted except Texas.... I go there to fish.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/ is a good place to get info.

Florida is good but expensive.

Using that map it doesn't look like I can do much better than the FL Ohio combo

Pops Fun
04-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Using that map it doesn't look like I can do much better than the FL Ohio combo

Probably right... I just read on OFCC that Florida takes 45 days.... Hope you have time.
florida will probably be my next one also Utah is great but you have to take a class here... then you don't need an Ohio license the way I understand it!!

89notch
04-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Probably right... I just read on OFCC that Florida takes 45 days.... Hope you have time.
florida will probably be my next one also Utah.

I think its been about 45 days. I have a little time so I should be good.
I also read that the new house bill would allow us to carry in a bar as long as we're not drinking. I never understood why you couldn't before.

Pops Fun
04-12-2011, 03:01 PM
I also read that the new house bill would allow us to carry in a bar as long as we're not drinking. I never understood why you couldn't before.

Should have been that way from the start..... You walk into a restaurant and find that they serve alcohol and you are a criminal if caught..... you lose all gun rights....... it pisses me off. Should be like driving a car... talk about dangerous weapons

I've done that already with the wife, saw a waitress walk by with a bottle of beer and said OH SHIT!! Can't wait til it passes...

Pitbull1052
04-12-2011, 03:34 PM

They are prolly afraid that if you're there not drinking that the drunks will get on your nerves and might have to shoot one of them :lol:

Sharad
04-12-2011, 04:47 PM
I have a Florida CCW license!! (but I live in Florida now)

Sorry, I know that doesn't help.

Point of humor though: The county commisioner or whatever that issues the licenses down here? His name is Charles Bronson. His name is on the license. :lol:

beefcake
04-12-2011, 04:53 PM
kelly, it takes up to 90 days.

did you send in a copy of your ohio along with the app. my instructor said it goes much faster that way as it's tougher to get an ohio than a fl

i had my ohio in a week and a half, haven't had time to send in the fl yet

89notch
04-12-2011, 05:09 PM
I did send a copy of my ohio with it

buckeye6669
04-12-2011, 05:19 PM
i think the process should be alot faster anyways.you payed and they still make you wait i think its shitty

bangingears
04-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I did send a copy of my ohio with it

I sent my ohios in and got it in under 30 days

Dirtyd0g
04-12-2011, 06:42 PM
I still think carrying in a bar is a bad idea unless you are on the other side of the counter.
Scenario, drunk guy getting in fight with another drunk guy, see's your gun while you are talking to someone else, showing them tattoo's etc... Runs over catches you off guard and takes it, now there is a loaded firearm in the hands of a drunk and angry person. We would all like to think that couldn't happen to us, but the element of surprise is worth a good bit. It just isn't a chance worth taking to me. It is the same as carrying in a school, a rebelious kid is much similar to an angry drunk person.
Alan

89notch
04-12-2011, 10:25 PM
I still think carrying in a bar is a bad idea unless you are on the other side of the counter.
Scenario, drunk guy getting in fight with another drunk guy, see's your gun while you are talking to someone else, showing them tattoo's etc... Runs over catches you off guard and takes it, now there is a loaded firearm in the hands of a drunk and angry person. We would all like to think that couldn't happen to us, but the element of surprise is worth a good bit. It just isn't a chance worth taking to me. It is the same as carrying in a school, a rebelious kid is much similar to an angry drunk person.
Alan

This could happen with a sober person as well. I think if your not concealing the weapon your not doing your part

beefcake
04-12-2011, 10:29 PM
This could happen with a sober person as well. I think if your not concealing the weapon your not doing your part

I was thinkin the same thing

Pops Fun
04-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Alan

What I want is to be able to walk into a restaurant that serves alcohol and have dinner with the wife, without disarming and arming again... the fewer times you handle your weapon the better!! Also if the sheep see you arming/disarming they will report man with a gun and the police come... not good!! Waste of my time and there's.

As I said above.... if you walk into a restaurant... pizza place or whatever and find that they serve alcohol you are committing a felony!!! Often there are no signs on the doors saying they serve alcohol....

Steve

Dirtyd0g
04-13-2011, 01:31 AM
The best scenario I see would be if everyone carried, nobody would want to do anything stupid. Realistically how common are face to face gun fights anyway? Usually they are done by wimps that want to do it in a drive by fashion. To me gun control is making sure that you can hit your target, not preventing people from having them.
Alan

89notch
04-13-2011, 10:07 AM
What I want is to be able to walk into a restaurant that serves alcohol and have dinner with the wife, without disarming and arming again... the fewer times you handle your weapon the better!! Also if the sheep see you arming/disarming they will report man with a gun and the police come... not good!! Waste of my time and there's.

As I said above.... if you walk into a restaurant... pizza place or whatever and find that they serve alcohol you are committing a felony!!! Often there are no signs on the doors saying they serve alcohol....

Steve

I agree I get so tired of taking my gun off and putting it in the car. I know people have watched me either arm or disarm in the parking lots. The worst place is Chipotle since I always forget they serve beer.

89notch
04-13-2011, 10:07 AM
So what gun/holster combo is everyone using?

89notch
04-13-2011, 10:11 AM
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A bill allowing concealed guns to be carried into establishments where alcohol is served has moved toward a vote in the Ohio Senate.

The Senate Judiciary Committee approved the measure Tuesday on a 7-2 vote, despite testimony from law enforcement officials opposed to the law.

The Columbus Dispatch reports that John Gilchrist of the Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police told the committee: "Alcohol and guns do not mix."

But Ken Hanson of the Buckeye Firearms Association dismissed that claim as "an emotional red herring with a side of wild goose."

Under the legislation, people bearing a concealed firearm inside a bar or restaurant would be prohibited from drinking any alcohol.

A similar bill was passed by the Senate in the last legislative session but stalled in the Ohio House

Pops Fun
04-13-2011, 11:01 AM
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A bill allowing concealed guns to be carried into establishments where alcohol is served has moved toward a vote in the Ohio Senate.

The Senate Judiciary Committee approved the measure Tuesday on a 7-2 vote, despite testimony from law enforcement officials opposed to the law.

The Columbus Dispatch reports that John Gilchrist of the Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police told the committee: "Alcohol and guns do not mix."

But Ken Hanson of the Buckeye Firearms Association dismissed that claim as "an emotional red herring with a side of wild goose."

Under the legislation, people bearing a concealed firearm inside a bar or restaurant would be prohibited from drinking any alcohol.

A similar bill was passed by the Senate in the last legislative session but stalled in the Ohio House

Did you know that the police association or Ohio highway patrol (forget which one) carved an exemption out last year so they could serve alcohol at there meeting and carry.... They are better than the rest of us you know!! Or when caught they cover for each other :mad::mad::mad:

89notch
04-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Did you know that the police association or Ohio highway patrol (forget which one) carved an exemption out last year so they could serve alcohol at there meeting and carry.... They are better than the rest of us you know!! Or when caught they cover for each other :mad::mad::mad:

Yea thats a little shady. I do however think given their line of work if they wanted to have a beer or 2 and carry I don't see a problem with that. However trying to monitor this would be trouble.

Pops Fun
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
So what gun/holster combo is everyone using?

I carry a M&P9c with a laser in a "Texas Heritage" IWB (http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/teheiwb.html)

I also carried a full size Para 1911 in a Texas Heritage and it wasn't bad.

Bought a Milt Sparks and don't like the way my gun stiks in it and don't use it.

Pops Fun
04-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Yea thats a little shady. I do however think given their line of work if they wanted to have a beer or 2 and carry I don't see a problem with that. However trying to monitor this would be trouble.

The problem I have is that we can't go to somewhere and not drink and they complain...... double standards..... I don't like it. They are people just like us... not any better or worse. This is not cop bashing just frustration. The way I see it is ..... the law should be similar to the DWI law perhaps a little stricter ... The way the guns laws are written, if I have a beer while cleaning my weapon in the evening i am liable for arrest... WTF. If someone breaks into my house after I have had a beer I can't protect myself because I had a beer!!! I am at home not bothering anyone.

Obviously this got my dander up... enough said :D

duststang
04-13-2011, 03:08 PM
I think Florida took almost 90 days.
I like paddle fobus holsters they are very comfortable and easy access with the Glock, XD. Inner waist band cheap one with the LCP. The LCP fits in most watch pockets of jeans, not sure if that would be considered a holster? (grey area)