PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure monitor

duststang
05-09-2011, 10:58 AM
My sister in-law got some new rims for her 08 stang. I put them on for her yesterday and the Tire Pressure Monitor Fault came up. I am figuring these rims dont have TPMS, is there a way to tell? How do you install these? are they expensive and where would you buy them or could I take off the stock rims?

2007ShelbyCobra
05-09-2011, 11:06 AM
My sister in-law got some new rims for her 08 stang. I put them on for her yesterday and the Tire Pressure Monitor Fault came up. I am figuring these rims dont have TPMS, is there a way to tell? How do you install these? are they expensive and where would you buy them or could I take off the stock rims?

TPM valve stems are not cheap, around $80 a piece I believe. Im sure when you took them away from the car the computer freaked out. You could probably switch them from the old wheels to the new, but you must have the tire off of the wheel to do so. IMO, see if you can have the light turned off, these are a pain to deal with, they break easy and go off any time the air pressure fluctuates. I have heard some tire shops even switch them out to conventional valve stems for free since so many of them break.

skeptiq
05-09-2011, 11:50 AM
They also sell a "TMPS rebuild kit" or at least try to upsell that when you get tires on a TMPS enabled car. I think it's a ploy since I declined and never had an issue, yet it was "strongly recommended" and that was over 25,000 miles ago... I think TMPS is just an RF based module on the back of the valve stem that sends the pressure to the computer using the RF... But like 2007ShelbyCobra said, you have to have the tire off and they are a PITA and fragile...

I did have the TMPS light come on, but was because the pressure was low... asked a guy at tire discounters if he could just disable, and he said they couldn't since the computer is looking for the RF signal... the only way to get light off was to make sure the tires were properly inflated (or pull the light out of the dash)...

Good luck...

duststang
05-11-2011, 03:12 PM
thanks guys I guess she is going to check Ebay?

cobrajoe
05-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Are you sure its a valve stem? Always heard it was a module banded to the rim. ?

skeptiq
05-12-2011, 08:43 AM
I am sure there are several types, but this was the type that was on my car:

http://www.vdo.com/generator/www/com/en/vdo/main/press/pictures/replacement_parts/img/img_vdo_pp_sensor_tpms_300dpi_13x18cm_zoom_en.jpg

skeptiq
05-12-2011, 08:49 AM
I did a quick google search on "mustang tmps" and did see the ones you were talking about, but I also saw the valve stem types as well, so who knows. Maybe there is a Ford tech in the house than could let us know for sure...

leroy93lx
05-12-2011, 11:39 AM
I just run our new Jeep without them and live with the little light on the dash. After buying tires, wheels and the lift, that extra $300 for sensors wasn't very appealing! On the wifes old Grand Cherokee the damn light was always on because of the spare being under inflated anyway.....