PDA

View Full Version : fixed my tic tic 01 gt

sean
05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
While driving today it made an pop noise and then I had exhaust tic/ puff out by the valve cover. I drove it home and fornd the boot on the coil was broken and split in a fet places. i replaced that but when I pulled the coil out the spark plug came with it. The plug threaded in just fine and tightened up good so i put the new boot on it and started it and its seems to be running fine. The plugs threads showed no sign of stripping and it did thread back into the hole. Can a plug that wasnt thight just work its was out like that?

The tic tic is gone too.

Blackout
05-19-2011, 03:56 PM
yes but the PI heads are bad for spark plug blowouts.

sean
05-19-2011, 04:00 PM
yes but the PI heads are bad for spark plug blowouts.

I read that. With the threads looking good and it went back in tight with no more tic should I be concerned?

sean
05-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I love the car but I will throw it on craigs list faster than you can blink if this is going to be an issue. Ill trade it or sell it and go get a notch.

NXcoupe
05-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Was there any aluminum on the plug threads? I would take a penlight and peer down into those threads and see how they look. I had one come loose on my cop car, and I put a new plug and coil on it and never had another issue.

sean
05-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Was there any aluminum on the plug threads? I would take a penlight and peer down into those threads and see how they look. I had one come loose on my cop car, and I put a new plug and coil on it and never had another issue.

I looked down in there and it looked good from what I could see. There was nothing at all on the threads. Went back in the hole and snugged up good. I also took it out and ran it hard from first to third and cruised at about 3500 to 4000 rpm's to see if it was going to shoot out. No problems or odd noises. I saw a thread elswhere that people were using different plugs in the bullitt. had a better thread on them. Said to have about 20 percent more seating. plug was AGSF-32PM any ideas on that?

NXcoupe
05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Well, the bullitt uses the same heads as you do, so give it a try. I have no experience with that at all.

sean
05-19-2011, 09:50 PM
I went out for a bit today and kept the rpm's up and drove it a little hard and just cruised and no problems at all. I am going to replace the plugs when I get a job with the above mentioned ones and go from there. I have it listed but I would rather just keep it. I guess if it comes down to it I will pay someone to do the repair tap to it. There is suposed to be one out the you can do without taking it apart.

NXcoupe
05-20-2011, 09:27 AM
I went out for a bit today and kept the rpm's up and drove it a little hard and just cruised and no problems at all. I am going to replace the plugs when I get a job with the above mentioned ones and go from there. I have it listed but I would rather just keep it. I guess if it comes down to it I will pay someone to do the repair tap to it. There is suposed to be one out the you can do without taking it apart.

Yep, there is a repair that can be done without taking it apart, but taking the head off and inserting it from chamber out makes for a much better, longer lasting repair imho. But you gotta do what budget allows, so it would be better than carrying an extra set of plugs for one hole. lol.

sean
05-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Ohh.well we will see. Ive driven it a bit since then and no problems. I may just sell it or trade it off.

mustang8998
05-20-2011, 07:47 PM
I've heard also, that Motorcraft plugs work better, for some reason. Torque them to the proper spec, as well.

sean
05-22-2011, 08:59 PM
I dont know. Should I trade it off. I think its fine but if something happens I'm screwed