PDA

View Full Version : Drain plug leak problem

93RedNotch
05-21-2011, 07:53 PM
So I changed my oil and bought a new drain plug oring thing because it leaked, just slow drips. Now it leaks worse. I don't know why it would leak worse but does anyone have any tricks or somthing? It's a stock 92 5.0 btw

TONYT
05-22-2011, 10:31 AM
you might check to see if its slightly cross threaded,just to be safe run a thread chaser thru it,and use a copper washer to help seal the deal

redfirepearlgt
05-22-2011, 12:17 PM
you might check to see if its slightly cross threaded,just to be safe run a thread chaser thru it,and use a copper washer to help seal the deal

Ditto on this if the oil plug caught or bound anywhere during finger tightening. Don't go getting in a rush retapping it. A little finesse goes a long way, especially if it is an aluminum oil pan. Be sure to clean the drain hole of any "fines" not caught in the flutes of the tap after re-tapping. Some adhesive tape or a magnet (if not an aluminum pan)will assist in this. You may wish to re-chase the threads on the oil plug with a die as well or better yet just replace it. A very small amount (minimal) of pipe dope (not plumbers putty), applied to the threads of the plug may also assist in sealing the leak. Last - DON'T OVERTIGHEN. Good luck.

Dirtyd0g
05-22-2011, 01:01 PM
If it is aluminum forget about cleaning the threads, buy a slightly larger plug and a tap that size if you do not have one. A drill bit may also be required. If it is steel cleaning the threads usually works. You may want to buy a box of the air condition style washers and use a new one on every oil change. I hate plastic washers. If everything is good copper or aluminum washers work well.
Alan

93RedNotch
05-22-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm pretty sure it's slightly cross threaded. I put Teflon tape on the plug and rtv on the head of it and it seemed to fix it. I'm going to retap it next oil change. Thanks for the help