PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice with carrying a pistol

lxenvy
05-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I keep on hearing mixed things. Im in the middle of getting my concealed but what is the LAW as far as me carrying it in my car? I hear trunk not loaded. Then i hear glove box is fine loaded ready to go! Is there a link to the do and dont of this? And here is my newness.... Oh and i live in KY

Taurus PT 940

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/156/mailgooglecomw.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/mailgooglecomw.jpg/)

Dirtyd0g
05-26-2011, 11:03 PM
I could be wrong but here is the rules I have always used for carrying a firearm without a concealed carry permit. Unload the gun, place the ammunition in one place and the gun in another or have them both in a locked area such as glove box, carry case, trunk, etc...
Alan

djom1cincy
05-26-2011, 11:15 PM
I could be wrong but here is the rules I have always used for carrying a firearm without a concealed carry permit. Unload the gun, place the ammunition in one place and the gun in another or have them both in a locked area such as glove box, carry case, trunk, etc...
Alan

^ correct. If you don't have a ccw don't have a loaded gun in your car.

RIXXX93GT
05-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Im not a lawyer or judge or LEO but the way I understand it is that if you DO have a CCW then the weapon must be secured on you or in a device or container that must be opened by means of handle, latch (glove box, console etc) not openly laying about the vehicle (on seat, on floor, under seat etc).

Dirtyd0g
05-27-2011, 12:00 AM
That is the way I read it in the CC brochure.
Alan

djom1cincy
05-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Im not a lawyer or judge or LEO but the way I understand it is that if you DO have a CCW then the weapon must be secured on you or in a device or container that must be opened by means of handle, latch (glove box, console etc) not openly laying about the vehicle (on seat, on floor, under seat etc).

Correct sir.

facemelter71
05-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Yep,that is correct. It either has to be on you,or in some thing that closes with a snap or zipper or some thing along those lines. I have mine in a black 5.11 pistol bag. It looks like a really small laptop bag that will hold the pistol and I think 5-6 mags.

marauder
05-27-2011, 09:23 AM
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf

527.020 Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapon.
Note: (New Law becomes effective 6/16/2011. Glove Box is only place you can store firearm till that date.)
(8) A loaded or unloaded firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in any enclosed container, compartment, or storage space [regularly] installed as original equipment in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, including but not limited to a glove compartment, center console, or seat pocket, regardless of whether said enclosed container, storage space, or compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism. No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a loaded or unloaded firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction. This subsection shall not apply to any person prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS KY ONLY... IF YOU CROSS STATE LINES THE RULES CHANGE!

Timido
05-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Keep in mind he is from Kentucky the laws there are very different

lxenvy
05-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Keep in mind he is from Kentucky the laws there are very different

Thx for the info ppl. Is all this for KY?

lxenvy
05-28-2011, 02:23 AM
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf

527.020 Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapon.
Note: (New Law becomes effective 6/16/2011. Glove Box is only place you can store firearm till that date.)
(8) A loaded or unloaded firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in any enclosed container, compartment, or storage space [regularly] installed as original equipment in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, including but not limited to a glove compartment, center console, or seat pocket, regardless of whether said enclosed container, storage space, or compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism. No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a loaded or unloaded firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction. This subsection shall not apply to any person prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS KY ONLY... IF YOU CROSS STATE LINES THE RULES CHANGE!

Just clicked on the link... Thank u very much