PDA

View Full Version : 2014 stang to have 4 banger and irs?

pegasus
06-09-2011, 10:39 AM
http://jalopnik.com/5810280/2014-ford-mustang-more-rumors

what are your thoughts???

Gene
06-09-2011, 10:46 AM
The car will also reportedly be smaller and lighter than the current model.

This would be a good thing.

beefcake
06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
i think ford realized no one wants an irs, not to mention, the solid axle works better than everyone elses more expensive irs anyway.

and i doubt the 5.0 will be going anywhere

maybe an option

pegasus
06-09-2011, 11:01 AM
This would be a good thing.

true that maybe it will be the next fox and they will have a dealer installed svo pack or somthing like that :bigthumb

05yellowgt
06-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I think they will go IRS to save weight more than anything. I know there isn't that much difference in most cases but the only way the Mustang will survive the increased mileage requirements being put on the industry is to go lighter and smaller. Mustang II anyone?

pegasus
06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
i think ford realized no one wants an irs, not to mention, the solid axle works better than everyone elses more expensive irs anyway.

and i doubt the 5.0 will be going anywhere

maybe an option

yeah they spent way to much time and money to only use it for a few years
but I loves me some irs the after market will just have to work a little hardder for the drag racing only guys

beefcake
06-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I think they will go IRS to save weight more than anything. I know there isn't that much difference in most cases but the only way the Mustang will survive the increased mileage requirements being put on the industry is to go lighter and smaller. Mustang II anyone?

we've got great mileage on the cars already, shave a few hundred pounds and it will get better.

then you have direct injection,

those 2 things alone would be good for a few more mpgs'

Gene
06-09-2011, 11:16 AM

They're also considering the IRS again for the same reason that they put it in the SN95 Cobras...people are going to cross-shop the Mustang against BMWs, and a stick axle can be a big mental block to someone comparing the two.

The M3 and the current 5.0 are very close in performance, but there are many people who will buy an M3 or 335i because they consider the Mustang to be "low tech"

cstreu1026
06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Chopping a few hundred pounds from these cars is getting more and more difficult as the gubment requires more and more "safety" features. There is also talk that the C7 Corvette will have a small (3.5L) twin turbo V8.

The other thing to consider is that Ford is a global company and even though we like to think the United States is the center of the universe if the Mustang is to live on and be a sales success it needs to be appealing to more than just American gear heads.

04 Venom
06-09-2011, 12:13 PM
They're also considering the IRS again for the same reason that they put it in the SN95 Cobras...people are going to cross-shop the Mustang against BMWs, and a stick axle can be a big mental block to someone comparing the two.

The M3 and the current 5.0 are very close in performance, but there are many people who will buy an M3 or 335i because they consider the Mustang to be "low tech"

Good point.

mustangboy
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Can anyone say Probe

05yellowgt
06-09-2011, 12:39 PM
It's not like its going FWD

thecollector
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
With performance being close who walks into a dealership to seriously look @ a $30k car, then buys a $55k instead because of an irs? This banger thinks hardly any one. Technology aside people who buy M3's wouldn't be caught dead in a mustang @ that point in their lives no matter how much technology it had. Reminds me of the south park smug alert episode-its perception.

Terry, can you give me the name of even one person who purchased a new m3 over a new mustang?

Brandon Alsept
06-09-2011, 01:15 PM
IRS will not cut weight. More likely to add 80-100lbs. Plus cost a stupid amount of money to engineer for the S197.

setty2706
06-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Can anyone say Probe

My thoughts actually :rolleyes:

Me being a Svo fan and previous owner i always dreamed of another 4cyl turbo stang but i dont know about all this !!!

cstreu1026
06-09-2011, 01:45 PM
With performance being close who walks into a dealership to seriously look @ a $30k car, then buys a $55k instead because of an irs? This banger thinks hardly any one. Technology aside people who buy M3's wouldn't be caught dead in a mustang @ that point in their lives no matter how much technology it had. Reminds me of the south park smug alert episode-its perception.

Terry, can you give me the name of even one person who purchased a new m3 over a new mustang?

I agree performance aside most people who shop for one car probably aren't shopping for the other. Maybe though its a matter of who Ford would rather have as a customer...the typical Mustang buyer or the typical M3 buyer.

INSANEBA
06-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I just read where Chebby is trying to stack the vette against the likes of certain lambo/porche/ferari models. A 3.? liter tt engine is in the works as well. They are working twoards a different market and clientel all together. Idk, is ford doing the same???

thecollector
06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I agree performance aside most people who shop for one car probably aren't shopping for the other. Maybe though its a matter of who Ford would rather have as a customer...the typical Mustang buyer or the typical M3 buyer.

From my tech days-based on nvh complaints alone, they couldn't afford the expectations of a bmw owner. Warranty costs would skyrocket. You expect a lot more when you car payment is = your mortgage.:)

pegasus
06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
I just read where Chebby is trying to stack the vette against the likes of certain lambo/porche/ferari models. A 3.? liter tt engine is in the works as well. They are working twoards a different market and clientel all together. Idk, is ford doing the same???

ford is and has been with the GT

i have to wonder what the mpgs will be with the ecoboost since the current v6 is getting what 30miles to the gal?

beefcake
06-09-2011, 02:18 PM

You guys are right on,

not too many look at both cars

cstreu1026
06-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Maybe they should ask VW how well it worked out for them when they tried to move up-market.