PDA

View Full Version : SN95 vs. 99-04 Rear End

cobraman302
06-14-2011, 03:24 PM
I wanted to see if anyone here has personal experience with swapping rear ends of these year cars...

I have a rear end out of a '97 Cobra, and have a friend with an '01 GT with stock 3.27 gears. My rear end has 4.30 gears and I want stock 3.27 gears for the turbo. Question is, are there any issues with swapping these two rear end out? Here is what I know, or what I think I know.

The 99+ rear end is about 1.5" wider, control arm bolts are possibly different, and possibly the brake lines are different. Any input? Only reason I was considering this is because I worked a trade for his rear end plus $200 and I wouldnt have to pay for a gear install. Thanks guys and gals. :cool1:

Black Horse
06-14-2011, 03:28 PM
I would think just swapping out the gears would be a whole lot easier!

Jake
06-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I wanted to see if anyone here has personal experience with swapping rear ends of these year cars...

I have a rear end out of a '97 Cobra, and have a friend with an '01 GT with stock 3.27 gears. My rear end has 4.30 gears and I want stock 3.27 gears for the turbo. Question is, are there any issues with swapping these two rear end out? Here is what I know, or what I think I know.

The 99+ rear end is about 1.5" wider, control arm bolts are possibly different, and possibly the brake lines are different. Any input? Only reason I was considering this is because I worked a trade for his rear end plus $200 and I wouldnt have to pay for a gear install. Thanks guys and gals. :cool1:

I have no personal experiance here, but I have heard that an IRS from a new edge is a direct bolt on to a SN95. which would mean that the control arms mount the same way to the chassis. Im not sure if they mount the same way to the axle carrier itself.
hope that helps.
-Jake.

JIMS SVT
06-14-2011, 08:07 PM
They will physically bolt into each other. I wouldnt do it. It will stick your wheels out too far and tuck his in to far. Heres a example

http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73029