PDA

View Full Version : Burning Plug Boots!

DocG2828
06-15-2011, 01:30 PM
I just felt like ranting so I figured I'd post here.

Seems like every time I turn around my car is running like ass. About 6 months ago I took it to the dyno and it ran like 230hp! I bring it home and realize it was running on 5 cylinders thanks to several fried plugs and plug wires. The booties I had on them were oil soaked and just melted the boots. So I bought new wires, cut them to length so all would look pretty and threw the damn booties away except for one. The one that sat very close to the header. I put a clean one on it.

So here is what I ended up with for the most part and it ran great. Well I did put an MSD distributor on it and actually connected the plugs. :D

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/DocG2828/SU1HMDAwNzktMjAxMDA5MDQtMTkxNi5qcGc.jpg

So recently I had to replace the battery and had my junkyard 3g rebuilt. Charges great now but still ran a little funky. I pulled the plugs and realized one was melting again! I don't know the cylinder number but the second one from the firewall passenger side.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/DocG2828/d6f2bdda.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/DocG2828/23fecd1b.jpg

I can't really tell if there is a crack on the header but it looks like it was welded or fixed once before. See the lumpy part?

So either its leaking and melting the plug boot even through the booty or its just that dang close and melting it anyways.

So now I guess I should put the plugs back in and determine if it is actually leaking. If so, guess its time to upgrade to LT's. If not, guess I'll just buy new plug boots and replace that one until it happens again.

/rant

:dummy::dummy::dummy::dummy::dummy:

facemelter71
06-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I have never melted a boot on either one of my cars. I of course didnt have equal length's and I didnt have those wire looms. I run my wires the Maximus way.

DocG2828
06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
The first time around I didn't have the looms and it was melting them. I think it had more to do with the booties being soaked with oil. The looms and this setup actually keep the wires as far away from the headers as possible. I just liked the clean look of them all running parallel.

What's the Maximus way? :shrug:

COOP
06-15-2011, 01:57 PM
I never melted any but I started getting burn marks on them so I picked up a set of Kevlar covers from cincy speed and never had another issue. My brother did the same thing on his car and had no issues

COOP
06-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Oops just looked and saw you had the booties. That's a head scratcher.

DocG2828
06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
I actually had one booty on this last time. On the one that burnt. Thus I am not sure if maybe that header is leaking where that lumpy part is. Would make more sense that way.

Either way its pissing me off! It ain't cheap buying plug wires and/or boots! :D

Pitbull1052
06-15-2011, 02:17 PM
I had a similar issue with my LX and Mac shorties...... I ended up getting the msd wires that you can bend the boots on...

DocG2828
06-15-2011, 02:50 PM
That one damn wire just sits so close.

But if anyone can give me an excuse to upgrade to LT's then I won't argue! :D

BTW I just found out today I am divorced! I have some money saved up and should treat myself don't ya think?

Pitbull1052
06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! hmmmmm good excuse good excuse....... more power less burnt wires :bigthumb

Pitbull1052
06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
and I dig the PC on your intake I think mine's exactly the same.....

DocG2828
06-15-2011, 03:34 PM
and I dig the PC on your intake I think mine's exactly the same.....

Thanks man! For both posts!

I don't even remember the color Kenny said it was. It was a bit ago. I love it though! I know the rest of the bay needs a bit of work but in person it looks pretty darn good. The pics make it look more black but its really a dark grey.

I have a buddy who can cut and weld my prochamber midpipe to fit the LT's.

A pair of BBK ceramic's would sure look purdy in there.

Once I get it running again, I hope to see a bunch of you guys around the spots!

Ranger50
06-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I had the same problem with the EL MAC's with burning plug boots. The solution for me was to just get a LONG coil wire for that cylinder that was burning. The plug boots are just too big. The coil wire has the same small plug like the dizzy end on the other. Fixed my problem for many, many miles.

Pitbull1052
06-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks man! For both posts!

I don't even remember the color Kenny said it was. It was a bit ago. I love it though! I know the rest of the bay needs a bit of work but in person it looks pretty darn good. The pics make it look more black but its really a dark grey.

I have a buddy who can cut and weld my prochamber midpipe to fit the LT's.

A pair of BBK ceramic's would sure look purdy in there.

Once I get it running again, I hope to see a bunch of you guys around the spots!

eh no prob..... and I've got about everything you possibly powder coat done and Kenny did it all..... mine's a dark grey also with silver fins and the Holley Systemax done in silver too... valve covers match and my C&l,

DocG2828
06-15-2011, 03:57 PM
I had the same problem with the EL MAC's with burning plug boots. The solution for me was to just get a LONG coil wire for that cylinder that was burning. The plug boots are just too big. The coil wire has the same small plug like the dizzy end on the other. Fixed my problem for many, many miles.

I probably have a few extra dizzy boots. Maybe I could cut that end off and run it with a dizzy boot or coil boot. Thanks!

eh no prob..... and I've got about everything you possibly powder coat done and Kenny did it all..... mine's a dark grey also with silver fins and the Holley Systemax done in silver too... valve covers match and my C&l,

I love the Holley setup! Mine is the full heads and cam setup. Grinding out a pair of stocker valve covers was a PITA to fit over my rockers though!

I live a couple blocks away from Kenny, so if ever out my way holler at me and stop by!

I want more powder coated but have pulled a bunch of parts and just sanded and painted them for now. When the money comes I'm sure I'll do more. :bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Doc i'm almost certain those headers come that way...they're cut/welded from the factory because making them bend in such a way is either impossible or cost too much so they cut and weld them there. I think there may be a couple other spots like that...it's been a while since i looked at equal lengths.

Personally, i wouldn't run equals if they were given to me free, because of all the headaches people have with burning wires up. I would definitely opt for some BBK long tubes (and an X pipe and Magnaflows lol).

Pitbull1052
06-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I probably have a few extra dizzy boots. Maybe I could cut that end off and run it with a dizzy boot or coil boot. Thanks!

I love the Holley setup! Mine is the full heads and cam setup. Grinding out a pair of stocker valve covers was a PITA to fit over my rockers though!

I live a couple blocks away from Kenny, so if ever out my way holler at me and stop by!

I want more powder coated but have pulled a bunch of parts and just sanded and painted them for now. When the money comes I'm sure I'll do more. :bigthumb

Heck yea my set up is pretty similar to kenny's other than being fuel inj. vic jr's, systemax, 347 and mine being a hatch but similar color red even down to the t-56 lol i'll have to do that I need to stop and see Kenny next week I just work over by the Airport and I'll for sure stop by after i get a tune so Kenny can see all of his work lol

chris91
06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
I would definitely opt for some BBK long tubes (and an X pipe and Magnaflows lol).

Im with this guy! BBK LT's and BBK X, except Im running Flows. Starting to think I want to change em as its too quiet for me anymore. haha Here, heres a little motivational music to go with LT's. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndsRiXY7gWA

mad max
06-15-2011, 05:45 PM
My equal lengths dont have that weld , so that might be your problem.

DocG2828
06-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Going to try a cheap fix tomorrow. My mechanic buddy is going to use a torch to heat it up and bend that big hump in a little bit. Hopefully enough to get it out of the way. There are no burn marks or anything near that weld so it doesn't seem to be leaking.

If that doesn't work then LT's for sure. If I can get away without spending the money on the LT's for now that would be ideal. I'm trying to save up for a stroker kit to build this winter.

I currently have the prochamber and Mac dumps. I really love the sound of the prochamber and would probably keep it. It just idles so deep with the cam lope :D

DocG2828
06-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Heck yea my set up is pretty similar to kenny's other than being fuel inj. vic jr's, systemax, 347 and mine being a hatch but similar color red even down to the t-56 lol i'll have to do that I need to stop and see Kenny next week I just work over by the Airport and I'll for sure stop by after i get a tune so Kenny can see all of his work lol

If you come this way give me a shout! I'm off work all summer since I work for Cincy Public. I'll probably be tooling around drinking a beer :lol:

Pitbull1052
06-16-2011, 02:45 PM
FOR SURE..........

DocG2828
06-18-2011, 02:16 PM
My friend took a torch to the header and after a few swipes of heating it and using a pry bar, its now out of the way of the plug boot.

Sure, kinda redneck but it was free for now! He did hand me a spray bottle and told me I was Fire Marshall Bill, just in case. Honestly though I trust this guy with my car and my life.

:D

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-18-2011, 06:16 PM
I would say try some header wrap but you'd have to take them out to wrap them, and i'm not sure you can wrap equal lengths very well.

DocG2828
06-20-2011, 02:22 PM
I can't imagine trying to wrap these. I think I'd just buy new ones!

So far this fix seems to be working. This boot is further away from the heat than all the rest now and they have been fine.

Its got it back on the road and that's all I care about for this summer at least.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-20-2011, 04:28 PM
If nothing else maybe just wrap those plug booties around that spot on the header and use some wire to keep them on, that should block the heat from getting to the plug boot and you won't have to worry about them soaking with oil like it does on the plug.

bestracing
06-27-2011, 01:09 PM
I've had headers that a 90* plug boot would be resting on a header tube. I have to get the shorter ceramic plugs for them to keep the boot from cracking due to heat. I only have used MSD wires since the 90's and stopped buying the brand store cheapies and accell wires even on a stock 86 S-10. Bought the universal V8 custom length kit and made it work for the S-10. The MSD boots hold up really well even as close to 1/8" on a NA motor.