PDA

View Full Version : When does lazy become stupid?

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-16-2011, 08:09 AM
So i'm quitting my job, i put my 2 weeks in on Sunday and then i'm starting a new job. Now, i'm a person who takes pride in what i do, so i'm not the type who slacks off just because i'm going to quit anyways...BUT, it does afford me a little breathing room and at least time for a little experiment.

The people at my job...most of them anyway...are super lazy. It's not that they don't work hard, it's just that they don't ever do more than what is absolutely necessary, and in my eyes that's a form of laziness. So tonight, i did a little experiment just to humor myself. Here's the setup...

I work in retail, so there's a back room where all kinds of crap happens, but particularly there's a corrugated baler that everyone has to take their boxes to and crush them. There's a sort of aisle type entrance to get to the baler, which is about 5-6 feet wide...plenty of room to come and go as needed. People are always leaving crap in this aisle, which i frequently use and i'm constantly aggravated with moving their junk and/or carts of boxes that people just shove back there and take forever to deal with. So tonight i set up a little test just to see how lazy people really are, and it's very very simple. I opened a basic 6 foot ladder, and set it up about 10 feet from the baler off to one side of the aisle.

Now...anyone who has ever picked up an aluminum ladder knows, it takes you about 5 seconds at best to fold the thing up and lean it against the wall. People are constantly leaving ladders out that i end up putting away for them so i know this all too well. If the FIRST person who walked by this ladder would have just taken it upon themselves to fold the damn thing up and lean it against the wall, an entire night of stupid could have been avoided.

Nope. I kid you not, that ladder was standing where i put it when i walked away to clock out, and all night long i watched as person after person struggled to get their huge carts of corrugated past this ladder. It was just wide enough to cut down the aisle so that only one person could fit through coming or going...and it just blows me away that people got in each others way and practically tripped over themselves to get around this ladder instead of taking a few seconds to fold it up.

So i have to ask myself, at what point does lazy turn into stupid? :confused:

SJSlots
06-16-2011, 08:40 AM
(laughing) I love this sort of post.

In this case I think you nailed it... it became stupid with the very fist person not moving it. If it had been me, I sound more like you and I would have just been aggravated enough with it being out in the first place that I would have moved it. Had I been the next person to come along, and had to wait for idiot #1 to move out of my way for me to pass I still would have moved it then given them schit for not doing before I got there.

furiouslyfaster
06-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Wow I agree with SJSlots these kinda stories crack me up because I am always amazed by how lazy and stupid some people are. It is funnier because I have worked with people like this before. SO I can relate. Your co-workers were probably like who the H put this stupid ladder here it sure is inconvenient I wish somebody would move it lol. Good test man lol.

INSANEBA
06-16-2011, 09:30 AM
It's the american way nowadays, why do it when someone else can...

Stangman
06-16-2011, 09:31 AM
I look forward to Dave's posts as much as I used to love reading Maximus and Dedpedal's old Rant threads

Mista Bone
06-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Just remember, those same people have a drivers license, but you don't need a license to have kids.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Just remember, those same people have a drivers license, but you don't need a license to have kids.

I say it all the time, how do these same people get here at 70+mph without killing each other?

Mista Bone
06-16-2011, 03:46 PM
I say it all the time, how do these same people get here at 70+mph without killing each other?

Reason I bought a bigger/newer Honda for a daily instead of the tin can CRX.

big cheif
06-17-2011, 03:25 AM
Congrats on the new job dave! glad to know you do'nt have to put up with the stuipid bullshit there anymore!:bigthumb Find something closer to home?

R825OH
06-17-2011, 09:40 AM
This is why I work for myself!!!

Black Horse
06-17-2011, 12:32 PM
This is why I work for myself!!!

Age old saying:

"Man who works for self has idiot for a boss"

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Congrats on the new job dave! glad to know you do'nt have to put up with the stuipid bullshit there anymore!:bigthumb Find something closer to home?

Yep about half the distance i was driving. I might not be afraid to drive the car to work now :lol:

furiouslyfaster
06-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Age old saying:

Oh wow lol :lol:

R825OH
06-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Age old saying:

Just gotta be a driver:coo1:

Mista Bone
06-18-2011, 02:11 AM
Age old saying:

:cool1:

Which is why I'm thinking about changing jobs.

"Hello, Welcome to Wal-Mart" pays about the same lately with me waiting on Columbus driver.

Same start time @ 6:15 PM

I used to make $55 and was HOME at 9:20 PM, Now I'm making $70 but not home until 11:10-11:30 PM, sitting at meet spot for an hour on some nights. Factor in my gas costs, 15% SET (Self Employment Tax) and it is not worth it any more.