PDA

View Full Version : Garage door repair needed.

djom1cincy
06-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Anyone on here work for a garage door company or used one. My torsion springs broke yesterday. I heard a load nose while watching t.v but couldnt find anything when I looked. Suprise suprise for me this morning. Well give some feedback on who you've used in the past. Located in the loveland area if that helps any. Two prices I've gotten so far.
a.e. door 202$ installed
advantage garage door 175$. Dont know if this is install price or just springs. Price was on the net.

'92Stang
06-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Sent you a pm with my buddy Tims number.

djom1cincy
06-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Got it fixed today with better springs for 200. Had a hook up with bushelman supply co. Thanks for the pm 92stang. He was my next call. With the cheaper spring he was about what you thought your buddy was.

gbrown8439
02-25-2012, 08:28 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me last night. I was running around the house like an idiot with a gun trying to find the guy that was breaking into my house. :o

I did a search and found a few threads like this one but no real details on who people used and if they were happy.

Any suggestions based on your past experience? I live outside Morrow and would like to get it fixed ASAP.

Thanks

mwaller5672
02-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Did it myself a couple of times. If it's that big spring in the center. ( theres 2 ). It's kind of tuff but if you don't slip you can do it for 30 bucks. If you do slip you will need a new arm. : )

cquist
02-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Call Mark 891-9222. Tell him Carl(nephew) sent you.

bestracing
02-27-2012, 10:43 AM
I used Overhead Door Company to install a new opener and they did a great job.

I had a cable come off the pulley on mine once and I had to wind the spring up and then rewind the cable back on. It was easier with the door up since then I didn't have to put as much tension on the spring compaired to the down position. Getting both sides balanced was fun as well, helps if you borrow a second step ladder so you don't have to keep running one back and forth from side to side :D

IWRBB
02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Did it myself a couple of times. If it's that big spring in the center. ( theres 2 ). It's kind of tuff but if you don't slip you can do it for 30 bucks. If you do slip you will need a new arm. : )

Way over hyped danger... Even you, who's done it, is still making it out to be a huge danger. Seriously, how in the hell would you lose an arm? If you missed with the next metal piece, the spring would suddenly unwind, until the other lever jams against the wall, maybe tear through it and keep spinning at worst. How's your arm coming off again?

C'mon- can anyone provide me a documented case of someone getting a horrible injury from a garage door torsion spring?

This is just like the thread talking about capacitors.. yes, there is some danger. Is it enough to keep a reasonably intelligent human being from being able to touch it? No. Think about it people, these garage door techs aren't exactly rocket scientists. They put in garage doors. If they can do it, I can do it for damn sure.

People are FAR less careful around a FAR more dangerous item.. a 12V starter battery. It's amazing to me how people abuse a 12V battery, hook up jumper cables in the wrong order and not think twice about it, short tools across them, on and on. Starter batteries are a bomb of lead and acid ready to explode in your face- no one seems to care about the massive amount of power and destruction they can (and regularly do) cause but mention something like a capicitor or a simple wound spring and they go all Ralph Nader like it'll rip you face off instantly.

mwaller5672
02-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Ok maybe a little bit. I was told by the people I bought my spring3 from most places quit selling them bacause people would get hurt installing them. I'm talking the big spring in the center not on the sides. You have to have 2 metal rods and keep tightening them for a certain amout of terms. If the spring slips it scares the crap ouy of you when it unwinds. This came from a do it yourself web page.

CAUTION! Replacing garage door torsion springs is dangerous because the springs are under tension. If you do not use the right tools and follow safe procedures, you could lose hands, limbs or even your life. You could also damage property. We want your business, but not at the expense of your well being. Doing the job right is your responsibility. If you have any doubts about your ability to safely change your springs, we recommend you hire a professional to repair your garage door. Safety First! Then work.

djom1cincy
02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Got it fixed today with better springs for 200. Had a hook up with bushelman supply co. Thanks for the pm 92stang. He was my next call. With the cheaper spring he was about what you thought your buddy was.

I used the same company to fix mine last year. I had a hook up through a George Bushelman I had worked with in peebles. Only cost me 115 for the better springs.

mwaller5672
02-27-2012, 02:37 PM
garage door springs are under enormous pressure and you can get seriously injured or even killed when performing such work. If you decide to take your chances – it is imperative that you follow instructions to the last detail!

See Mr. IWRBB. It is dangerous. Your lucky your not dead.

DSSKing68
02-28-2012, 07:21 AM
I installed garage doors and openers for years, large commercial units and residential. We always sold torsion spring doors when we could, much safer in the event of spring failure.

I have had the winding bars slip before, and we had the correct tools for the job. The worst that ever happened to me was some underwear puckered in my balloon knot and a slight dent in the door where the winding bar hit it.

They can be dangerous I guess, but losing a limb or life? I don't see it happening, although natural selection does work in mysterious ways.

mwaller5672
02-28-2012, 08:31 AM
I know. I felt the same way. Your right thow it does scare you. I used 2 metal rods about a foot long when I did it. I think you would have to try to hurt yourself.

jktruckin06
02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Dssking you are the only other person I've heard use the term balloon knot... maybe I'm just a youngin

DSSKing68
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Dssking you are the only other person I've heard use the term balloon knot... maybe I'm just a youngin

I've always loved that phrase in reference to the bunghole...LOL

IWRBB
03-05-2012, 10:38 AM
garage door springs are under enormous pressure and you can get seriously injured or even killed when performing such work. If you decide to take your chances – it is imperative that you follow instructions to the last detail!

See Mr. IWRBB. It is dangerous. Your lucky your not dead.

I think you would have to try to hurt yourself.

??? OK.... You make lots of sense.

bestracing
03-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Speaking of fixing garage doors.....

Can anyone fix my Bro-in-law's door? It's wrapped around several trees and the garage seems to be missing as well.......

chris91
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
??? OK.... You make lots of sense.

I think he's quoting websites that are saying its dangerous. Then he's joking around saying how hurt you'll get.

IWRBB
03-05-2012, 12:07 PM
I kind of figured that.. but nowhere was anything in quotes, or linked, or anything. It just looks like he started yet another "it's soooo dangerous" post, then quickly contradicted himself 2 posts later.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who can do something so horribly dangerous without pissing all over myself in fear. :rolleyes:

mwaller5672
03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
You guys take life way to serious. The things I put in was a cut and paste off the web. I have never been hurt doing it but businesses have to protect themselves. I think a hand injury is about the worst that can happen. I could have easily had you guys ranting. It's not a wonder there is so much fighting on the board. This was a goofy thread. Fighting over a garage door spring safety.. Whooooo cares. I think for this silliness you guys should come over and help me get my Mustang Started. Now thats important

gbrown8439
04-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Call Mark 891-9222. Tell him Carl(nephew) sent you.

Just to follow up Mark came out and fixed my door when he said he would and for a great price. If you need anything done I recommend giving him a call.