PDA

View Full Version : Where are the manuals?

cstreu1026
07-05-2011, 05:24 PM
So I have been tossing around the idea of getting a new, fuel efficient daily driver. I kind of like the Mazda 2 and was searching online. There are 26 of them within 50 miles and only 2 of them have manual transmissions. Where are all the manuals?

DSSKing68
07-05-2011, 06:25 PM
I gave up Cameron....it seems like all of the import market is all automatics nowadays.

I just said F it and bought a motorcycle..LOL

I love the new Focus though.

Gene
07-05-2011, 11:08 PM
I think that the problem is that modern automatics are so good that you barely give up any mpg compared to a manual. It's not like the Powerglide/TH350 era.

Couple that with the average person looking at a Mazda2 not being exactly an "enthusiast" driver, and that's why they build more with automatics.

Moody
07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
i got a deal on a 5spd 08 colbolt for my DD. as for all the Autos my girls family cant drive them and most people in my army unit cant either. i think people are lazy i hear my friends say "u cant talk and eat while you drive in a stick car".

Stangman
07-06-2011, 07:43 AM
I can talk, eat, AND shift gears lol

Jeff88coupe
07-06-2011, 08:30 AM
The fat lazy "Average" american doesn't want to have to drive a stick anymore.
I'd love to have a stick in a new dd for myself...I just can't afford a newer audi RS4.

Stangman
07-06-2011, 09:17 AM
I wish my Ranger and my Mark Viii were stick shifts. Even though I have bad knees, I can't not drive a stick car

furiouslyfaster
07-06-2011, 09:20 AM
It's kinda funny because a lot of the new cars have that (slap shift) if you will that makes people who can't drive a stick feel a little better about themselves. My wife's 2011 Mazda 3 has that. I wanted a manual, but she did not.

Timido
07-06-2011, 10:38 AM
My car was not offered as a auto. Thank god

sean
07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
A lot of mis informed people out there. They thing ohhh nooo if you get in traffic its going to kill you and city driving sucks with a stick. I thought city driving was one of the best reasons for a stick. Thats where you get to shift and blast from light to light listening to the exhaust echo from the surrounding buldings. When that manuel/ auto bs got big that was it. I never cared for it but thats the way it is. Used to be you saved money buying a stick. It was cheeper on the sticker. Now you almost have to special order it. my cars have to be a stick. unless the deal is to great to pass on.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-06-2011, 01:34 PM
I think that the problem is that modern automatics are so good that you barely give up any mpg compared to a manual.

Exactly, just look at the new Mustangs, the autos are rated at better MPG than the manuals. Plus as much as i hate to say it, with all the texting and other multi-tasking that goes on in a car these days, the last thing the general public needs is to have to shift gears.

Goober
07-06-2011, 03:13 PM
The last thing the public needs to do is text, talk and eat while driving.

skeptiq
07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I found my 5 speed DD by accident. I heard a radio ad for a 2007 Sonata for $13995... literally as I was passing the dealership... at lunch I went back and told the sales guy to show me the $13995 Sonata I heard on radio and it was a 5 speed. For the first year I had service done at dealership with a coupon book and everytime I went there, the service advisor always said it was odd when I came in because it was the only Sonata 5 speed he'd ever seen. 26 mpg normal driving 33 mpg on highway trips isn't too shabby for that size car. Put nearly 76,000 miles on it since I got it.

You have to look, but they are out there, also as already mentioned, you might have to order one... Good luck!

redfirepearlgt
07-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Automatics belong in Lincolns and Cadillacs!!!

Jake
07-06-2011, 07:57 PM

THANK YOU!

I have always felt that a manual made you focus on what you were doing more. I could be wrong, but it makes sense in my mind. I dont see buying an auto in the forseeable future at any rate.

Stangman
07-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Automatics belong in Lincolns and Cadillacs!!!

Don't tell that to the Lincoln guys! LOL the love putting stick shift trans' in Mark Viii's!

bestracing
07-07-2011, 01:23 PM
A lot of mis informed people out there. They thing ohhh nooo if you get in traffic its going to kill you and city driving sucks with a stick.

I had a 67 Camaro and my dad had a 70 Camaro that were both manuals and they were great to drive but because they were Manual Linkage and not Hydraulic they were a BIG pain in the arse when you got into stop and go driving. Holding that 10.5" clutch in and letting it out was not fun. Newer cars are a whole different story though.

I thought city driving was one of the best reasons for a stick. Thats where you get to shift and blast from light to light listening to the exhaust echo from the surrounding buldings.

A straight 6 doesn't sound that great but it was fun rowing the gears.

Used to be you saved money buying a stick. It was cheeper on the sticker. Now you almost have to special order it. my cars have to be a stick. unless the deal is to great to pass on

Yea even the GTO had to be "special ordered" with manual and it cost more. the only good thing with that was with the manual you didn't have to pay gas guzzler tax and was cheaper overall.

Gstang117
07-07-2011, 08:23 PM
People these days have even worse trouble just driving.. Seriously, the test course for my license was so easy I could have done the entire thing blindfolded, wrecked into several cars, commit three counts of vehicular manslaughter, one count of armed burglary and still would have passed.