PDA

View Full Version : Stereo and battery ?

89notch
07-10-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm trying to figure out what battery is best for my stereo. Its not in the Cobra but in my Boat. I currently have an optima red top and a standard starting battery on a battery selector switch. When I'm sitting in the water with the boat off I usually switch over to just the optima and play the stereo. Doing this I'm only getting a couple hours of play time before its dead. I want to know if I'm better off to run a second standard red top parallel or to switch to a deep cycle battery and run those parallel? I'm finding mixed reviews with deep cycle powering stereo stuff.

aperacer
07-10-2011, 11:03 PM
just from the crap i have messed with build cars at camps. cop cars command trucks and junk like that. we used deep cycle batteries for anything that was going to be ran for long periods of time with a charging source.

black90lx
07-12-2011, 05:21 PM
use just a single deep cycle battery. dont wire them together.all bass boats use them for trolling motors, dept finders/fish finders so it will be plenty for just a radio.

89notch
07-12-2011, 05:36 PM
My fear is that I drain it very fast and charge it back up so frequent. I've heard that's terrible for a deep
Cycle battery. I also just read that deep cycles are designed to discharge slow and charge even slower. I'm thinking about adding a second cranking battery in parallel. I think Incan get 6-8 hours with this setup.

redfirepearlgt
07-12-2011, 06:49 PM
WOW!!! 2 hours? Sounds to me that there is more to this stereo than just a couple of 4 ohm speakers and a head unit. Could you elaborate??

At 13.5 vdc with 5.0 amps constant draw on a battery I would expect the life to be 6-8 hours on one battery fully charged alone with no other accessories attached. A deep cycle yellow top Optima is rated right at 55aH of capacity. Therefore you should be able to obtain (at 5 amps current draw) well over 10 hours from a fresh charge.

89notch
07-13-2011, 01:25 PM
It has 2000watts total going through 2 kicker 10s 1 kicker 15, and 4 6 1/4 Jl audios

black90lx
07-13-2011, 04:32 PM
get you a solar powered battery charger to use while you got it on. lol. i didnt know you had amps going too.

redfirepearlgt
07-13-2011, 06:00 PM
It has 2000watts total going through 2 kicker 10s 1 kicker 15, and 4 6 1/4 Jl audios

ok so dat ess-planes de lo run time lucy!!

Three batteries may get you 6 hours run time. Guessing an average of 10 amps draw on the four channel for hte JL audios and 20-25 draw on the sub setup plus the petty 2-3 amps tops on the head unit you are placing roughly, very roughly 37 amps load draw on a battery (assume you turn it up some) or more current draw if even louder.To be honest its a wonder you get 2 hours from a standard battery. So my suggestion would be three standard batteries in parallel on a system isolated from your boat charging system and battery that can be charged directly from shore power once docked after a days sun and fun. OTherwise look into a small generator and apair of deep cycle batteries with some form of current monitoring circuit that will kick the generator on and charge the battereis before they go into over-discharged state.

Dirtyd0g
07-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Sounds like he needs about 6 of those solar batery chargers.
Alan

black90lx
07-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Sounds like he needs about 6 of those solar batery chargers.
Alan

just one big one to cover the front bow of the boat. lol

Gstang117
07-15-2011, 08:06 AM
If I remember reading the brochure for the Optima batteries correct. It is the blue top that you want. They were supposed to be for audio and things of that nature that drain your battery. Although I have no experience or knowledge to back it up with.

@black90lx: He needs to just paint his boat in solar panels :thumbsup:

black90lx
07-15-2011, 04:45 PM
If I remember reading the brochure for the Optima batteries correct. It is the blue top that you want. They were supposed to be for audio and things of that nature that drain your battery. Although I have no experience or knowledge to back it up with.

@black90lx: He needs to just paint his boat in solar panels :thumbsup:

yea then he wouldnt have to worry about it. hell he might not need batteries then.lol

DSSKing68
07-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Maybe a GE LM2500 for power and propulsion.....LOL