PDA

View Full Version : Front license plate...is it still required?

winner70ta
07-28-2011, 10:27 PM
We bought something new last week (will have to post pics here shortly) and the salesman was under the impression that the requirement for a front plate has changed or maybe shortly changing. Anyone know for certain? As far as I know you are supposed to run one but we know how that goes ;)

Gstang117
07-28-2011, 10:34 PM
We bought something new last week (will have to post pics here shortly) and the salesman was under the impression that the requirement for a front plate has changed or maybe shortly changing. Anyone know for certain? As far as I know you are supposed to run one but we know how that goes ;)

Mines hidden under a thick layer of mud :flipoff:

sean
07-28-2011, 10:45 PM
As far as I know you still need one and prob always will. I am guessing the thing you bought didnt have a front plate bracket and you asked about one and the sales person instead of taking care of the problem just said something that he knows nothing about and said something that he thought would make you happy. I may be wrong but some sales people are just lazy and stupid and think you will believe every thing they say.

CNTLOSE
07-28-2011, 11:01 PM
One is still required Bob. Every year the idea of removing it is brought up in the legislature but it never goes anywhere. As a way to save money they may eventually do it, but for the time being they are required.

jlt2006
07-29-2011, 06:35 AM
I have never put the front on mine, it's an 06, and luckily have not been stopped either. But now I live in KY, since 2010, so it does not matter.

I do have one of those flip up holders that folds under front bumper. But the car is lowered and I never installed it. I would be glad to sell it.

cstreu1026
07-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Yup it is still a requirement. Everytime they try to get rid of it the OHP throws a fit and complains about how much harder it will make their job. This is despite the fact that EVERY state surrounding Ohio only has a rear plates and their police still manage to plenty of tickets.

winner70ta
07-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. We got a black 2012 Mustang GT and though the salesman gave me the bracket and said that if I needed it put on that they would do it, it just makes bothers me to think of poking holes in the front end and ruining the look. I'll run my 30 day temps up to the limit. Matt, could ya just give me a warning? LOL!

02mingryGT
07-29-2011, 12:17 PM
I haven't run a front plate on my Mustang ever. I think it's all in the appearance of your vehicle. Drive a rice-turd or a hoopty and you'll get pulled over for it. Keep your ride in decent shape and the only time they'll be looking at your car is to admire it.

My windows are tinted 20% as well. Never even questioned about it.

INSANEBA
07-29-2011, 12:57 PM
I got hammered for it back in the day. It was probably around 98-99ish. I had a GORGEOUS 1980 Z-28, black with the silver/gry stripe package, and white interior. I had a female state trooper pull me over because of it. She loved the car, but didnt like the no front plate, nor did she like the funny green smell coming from the inside of the car lmao. I ended up with a tix for the front plate and a seatbelt. Ahh, the good ol stoner days....

CNTLOSE
07-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. We got a black 2012 Mustang GT and though the salesman gave me the bracket and said that if I needed it put on that they would do it, it just makes bothers me to think of poking holes in the front end and ruining the look. I'll run my 30 day temps up to the limit. Matt, could ya just give me a warning? LOL!

lol...I usually do not put them on either. Of our three cars only one has the front plate.

As far as tickets I am sure they are wrote, but it is usually used as PC to stop a car for something else. Personally I think it ruins the look of most cars.

85_SS_302_Coupe
07-29-2011, 02:00 PM
So far this has been the best benefit of moving to KY :lol:

Goldenpony
07-30-2011, 12:02 PM
The Ohio Gestapo (OHP) wants the front plate because they use it to bounce the laser beam off of in order to bring in more ticket revenue. That's the only reason we still have them. It has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with money.

beefcake
07-30-2011, 12:05 PM
I haven't run one in forever either on my nicer cars, can't stand the idea of drilling the front of the car.

Goldenpony
07-30-2011, 12:23 PM
I didn't run a front plate on my '06 GT vert (bought from Beefcake) for like 5 years. Not long ago I heard Cincinnati had re-discovered the fine for not running a front plate and were handing out tickets fairly often for this grave offense. My wife went front plate-less for a dozen years on her Miata and we bit the bullet and put hers on too. Ohio and its cops suck.

CNTLOSE
07-30-2011, 07:05 PM
The Ohio Gestapo (OHP) wants the front plate because they use it to bounce the laser beam off of in order to bring in more ticket revenue. That's the only reason we still have them. It has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with money.

That is one reason, but their are a couple more. First being it is easier to run a plate check on cars approaching you when you can see the front plate. This is good for not just traffic but getting people wanted for all sorts of crimes. (Like recovering stolen cars.) It is also used by plate scanners which again can help LE catch wanted criminals.

You are right they have nothing to do with "safety" as far as traffic. But many criminals have been caught by an officer just running the front plate on a passing car. Personally I hate them, work wise I like them. My .02

beefcake
07-30-2011, 09:26 PM
crooks ruin it for everyone

redfirepearlgt
07-30-2011, 10:21 PM
There is a retractable hideaway plate holder available out there for some models. I thought about this as well, but no point since every car I buy is used and already has the front bumper drilled. I did not have one for years on other cars and never had an issue. In many states it is a fix-it-ticket. I don't know about ohio since I have never been hit for it hear.

coupegt
07-30-2011, 11:15 PM
yes it is still required got pulled over for it about a month ago altleast thats why he said he pulled me over (cause he didnt get me clocked on radar for speeding) gave me a warning for front plate and a $105 seatbelt ticket

CNTLOSE
07-31-2011, 12:29 PM
yes it is still required got pulled over for it about a month ago altleast thats why he said he pulled me over (cause he didnt get me clocked on radar for speeding) gave me a warning for front plate and a $105 seatbelt ticket

That was during the "Click it or Ticket" campaign. Almost any equipment violation will get you pulled over if you are not wearing your seatbelt. Best bet when you see those commercials start wearing it...which is usually between Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. Same thing with the "You Drink, You Drive, You Lose". That will mean their are dedicated traffic cars for OVI enforcement for the next several weeks. This is usually during all the Holidays.

Goldenpony
07-31-2011, 01:35 PM
I wish somebody would explain to me why you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but will get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. :confused:

CNTLOSE
07-31-2011, 05:11 PM
I wish somebody would explain to me why you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but will get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. :confused:

I wonder the same thing.

Goldenpony
07-31-2011, 05:24 PM
I can understand the Nanny government enforcing kids and infants either wearing seatbelts, or in a safety seat. What I don't understand, or agree with is me, as an adult, being forced under penalty of LE to wear a belt. Is it a very good idea, absolutely - but I should have the right to make this decesion for myself, just like the bikers have the right to decide to wear a brain bucket or not.

CNTLOSE
07-31-2011, 05:33 PM
I can understand the Nanny government enforcing kids and infants either wearing seatbelts, or in a safety seat. What I don't understand, or agree with is me, as an adult, being forced under penalty of LE to wear a belt. Is it a very good idea, absolutely - but I should have the right to make this decesion for myself, just like the bikers have the right to decide to wear a brain bucket or not.

I agree...except the penalty of the LE part. LE is only doing their jobs which is to enforce the laws our elected legislators create. The penalties are decided by them and the judical branch...not law enforcement.

I do know insurance companies play a large part. I have seen where people injuried who were not at fault, not have their medical bills covered by the at fault person for not wearing their seatbelt.

Goldenpony
07-31-2011, 05:45 PM
I agree...except the penalty of the LE part. LE is only doing their jobs which is to enforce the laws our elected legislators create. The penalties are decided by them and the judicial branch...not law enforcement.

I do know insurance companies play a large part. I have seen where people injured who were not at fault, not have their medical bills covered by the at fault person for not wearing their seatbelt.

Yea, Yea - I know, "We're just doing our job". Just don't be too surprised when a lot of people hate you for doing your job.

One last question, obviously you are LE. What is your take on police officers NOT WEARING THEIR SEATBELTS? I have personally seen officers driving without their belts on. They say it's because their duty belts get in the way. I even heard one officer state that he would not give a ticket for a seat belt violation, because he doesn't wear his. At least the officer isn't a hypocrite.

CNTLOSE
07-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Yea, Yea - I know, "We're just doing our job". Just don't be too surprised when a lot of people hate you for doing your job.

One last question, obviously you are LE. What is your take on police officers NOT WEARING THEIR SEATBELTS? I have personally seen officers driving without their belts on. They say it's because their duty belts get in the way. I even heard one officer state that he would not give a ticket for a seat belt violation, because he doesn't wear his. At least the officer isn't a hypocrite.

I can not speak for everyone...but I do not write them and most of the guys where I work could care less. But when our bosses tell us we have to write them we do...like during the Click it or Ticket campaign. Most of us think if people want to fly out of their car, or smash their face in the windshield we could really care less. Sometimes it makes our job easier. Like when a drunk plants his face into the windshield....makes it harder for him to deny he was driving with his DNA smashed into the glass. But on a side note sometimes a flying body can cause another accident or injure someone else.

As far as cops not wearing them....I am sure they could give several reasons. Im sure some are legit and some are BS. Again I can not speak for others but just like the front plate issue. I do not have them on two of my three cars so I would never write someone for it. I do know if they get in an accident without it they could be in more trouble with the admin, which could include days off without pay. But this again would vary by department.

As far as being hated no one gets into this job to make friends. I tell people intrested in LE if you want people to like you go be a fireman. On a side note I have made a lot people happier and improved their lives by intervening one way or another. I have been doing this job for 14 years so I am far from a rookie. My opinions are my own and are based on my years of experience.

Goldenpony
07-31-2011, 06:13 PM
I can not speak for everyone...but I do not write them and most of the guys where I work could care less. But when our bosses tell us we have to write them we do...like during the Click it or Ticket campaign. Most of us think if people want to fly out of their car, or smash their face in the windshield we could really care less. Sometimes it makes our job easier. Like when a drunk plants his face into the windshield....makes it harder for him to deny he was driving with his DNA smashed into the glass. But on a side note sometimes a flying body can cause another accident or injure someone else.

As far as cops not wearing them....I am sure they could give several reasons. Im sure some are legit and some are BS. Again I can not speak for others but just like the front plate issue. I do not have them on two of my three cars so I would never write someone for it. I do know if they get in an accident without it they could be in more trouble with the admin, which could include days off without pay. But this again would vary by department.

As far as being hated no one gets into this job to make friends. I tell people intrested in LE if you want people to like you go be a fireman. On a side note I have made a lot people happier and improved their lives by intervening one way or another. I have been doing this job for 14 years so I am far from a rookie. My opinions are my own and are based on my years of experience.

Fair answer.

djom1cincy
07-31-2011, 08:39 PM

I respect that.

blown96cobra
07-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Columbus pd wrote me a $110 ticket for no front tag in my z06 while I was wearing a suit so believe me they don't discriminate.

coupegt
07-31-2011, 10:59 PM
I also think seatbelt should be your choice to wear it or not the can save you or they can kill you and for front plate law sucks to motorcylcle has just a rear and when you get a 30 day tag they should also give you a front one if its the law to have one.

pegasus
08-01-2011, 03:13 AM
I've never had a front one until I got fd plates on my truck in the car it's no biggie I just keep it next to me and toss it on the dash if needed