PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Blown Headgasket

rtvickers
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I did a combustion gas test on my 04 Cobra today. And I believe I have a blown headgasket. Not good. I have a few questions.

1. Do I really have to pull the motor? Can I take them off in the car?
2. What gaskets am I going to need?
3. How hard of a job is this? Is there any tips I need to know?
4. What would this cost at a speed shop?

I hope this wont be too bad.

Thanks

Adam@S&MMotorsports
08-08-2011, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=rtvickers;665915]I did a combustion gas test on my 04 Cobra today. And I believe I have a blown headgasket. Not good. I have a few questions.

Thanks[/QUOTE

You will get different opinions on wether to pull the motor or not. I feel that it is way easier to drop the motor and trans out the bottom attached to the k member. Factory MLS gaskets or cometics will be great. Make sure the heads are flatbefore you re-assemble. Give me a call if you want a quote.

rtvickers
08-08-2011, 05:52 PM
It wouldnt let me edit my first post.....

What other gasket will I also need?

Dirtyd0g
08-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Technically the gaskets are reuseable, sometimes the intake gaskets fall apart and check for cracks in the valve cover and front cover gaskets. I suggest buying a new front seal and if the trans is out use a ptfe rear main. Oil pan gaskets don't have much issues, a little silicone will fix it right up.
Alan

rtvickers
08-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Technically the gaskets are reuseable, sometimes the intake gaskets fall apart and check for cracks in the valve cover and front cover gaskets. I suggest buying a new front seal and if the trans is out use a ptfe rear main. Oil pan gaskets don't have much issues, a little silicone will fix it right up.
Alan

I think I just sent you two pm's that are the same by mistake. Sorry my mind is elsewhere.

Dirtyd0g
08-08-2011, 08:06 PM
eh my box was full so I didn't get either one

orangeconv
08-08-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't think its a head gasket. I melted numerous pistons and the headgaskets were fine.

orangeconv
08-08-2011, 09:31 PM
In my 03 cobra

rtvickers
08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't think its a head gasket. I melted numerous pistons and the headgaskets were fine.

OH!!! Dont say that. What were the sytoms you were having?

orangeconv
08-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Mine smoked like crazy and eat a lot of coolant. Those motors are not known for any head gasket issues, there tough w the mls gasket

rtvickers
08-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Mine smoked like crazy and eat a lot of coolant. Those motors are not known for any head gasket issues, there tough w the mls gasket

Mine is showing no signs of anything. No white smoke. No miss. The only thing its doing is making air bubbles in the coolant system. And its spitting it out. Ive had overheating for about month. I think is what happened.

graysonracin
08-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Didnt look for another thread on this but did you check all the basics, make sure the fans are working, the radiator isnt stopped up or something, thermostat, you may have already checked everything but its just a suggestion. Good luck with it either way.

mwaller5672
08-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Actually I had those same symtoms in my van and that's what it was. At first it heated slightly then started the gurgling later on.

rtvickers
08-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Didnt look for another thread on this but did you check all the basics, make sure the fans are working, the radiator isnt stopped up or something, thermostat, you may have already checked everything but its just a suggestion. Good luck with it either way.

Yeah Ive pretty much checked all of that. I did the combustion gas test today and got a positive for combustion gas in the coolant system.

orangeconv
08-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Did you flush and burp the. Coolant system

cstreu1026
08-09-2011, 07:55 AM
If it is the head gasket(s) I would be looking for a bigger problem. Like it was said before the 4.6 is not known for blowing head gaskets. The only time I can recall seeing it happen was with seriously high horsepower cars that were actually lifting the heads.

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 08:01 AM
I've been burping it but I haven't flushed it yet. I also had a CAI on the car that didn't work well with it. And repeated over heating. Why else would I get a positive on the combustion gas test. I may test it again before taking it apart.

Dirtyd0g
08-09-2011, 09:22 AM
I am wondering if it could happen from the intake somehow. We all know about the intake problems. I would venture to say if it really is a blown head gasket it has been severely over heated and probably needs a motor.
Alan

orangeconv
08-09-2011, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=rtvickers;665915]I did a combustion gas test on my 04 Cobra today. And I believe I have a blown headgasket. Not good. I have a few questions.

Thanks[/QUOTE

You will get different opinions on wether to pull the motor or not. I feel that it is way easier to drop the motor and trans out the bottom attached to the k member. Factory MLS gaskets or cometics will be great. Make sure the heads are flatbefore you re-assemble. Give me a call if you want a quote.

do you remember if the gaskets were still good on the yellow meltdown car? im thinking that they were.

orangeconv
08-09-2011, 09:30 AM
sorry that was a long time ago before adam even worked @ cinci

Adam@S&MMotorsports
08-09-2011, 11:17 AM
sorry that was a long time ago before adam even worked @ cinci

Brother I don't think I knew you when the yellow car melted down. I just remember it right before the Viper trade where I thought you said you blew a head gasket lol

I'm leaning towards head gaskets, as I was in the last thread about over heating. No they are not known for it but it does happen, usually from overheating not lifting heads. Is it overheating now? Losing coolant?

orangeconv
08-09-2011, 11:19 AM
you worked 2 pauls when my car was there.

orangeconv
08-09-2011, 11:20 AM
or not, lol

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm leaning towards head gaskets, as I was in the last thread about over heating. No they are not known for it but it does happen, usually from overheating not lifting heads. Is it overheating now? Losing coolant?

It overheats after it spits all the coolant out. Yes loosing coolant out of the overflow tank.

HawksWR37
08-09-2011, 04:47 PM
if you do end up pulling the heads, use arp head studs/bolts when you put them back in.

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
if you do end up pulling the heads, use arp head studs/bolts when you put them back in.

Ive heard that before. What do they run.

orangeconv
08-09-2011, 04:57 PM
350 on ebay

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 04:58 PM
350 on ebay

Whats the benefit? Just stronger? Arent the stock ones strong enough?

orangeconv
08-09-2011, 05:00 PM
stock ones are not reusable they get thrown away. you want to stud it with arps so you dont encounter this issue again, they get tqed to like 100/120 flbs

blown96cobra
08-09-2011, 06:02 PM
I doubt the headgaskets are bad. My buddy's 04 has almost 100k miles on it and sees 19lbs of boost daily along with a 150 shot and he's never had a single problem. I'd look at the radiator or the Tstat housing. Sometimes the housing will crack and cause problems.

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
stock ones are not reusable they get thrown away. you want to stud it with arps so you dont encounter this issue again, they get tqed to like 100/120 flbs

Is that the only reason to switch? Hopefully after all of this I dont have to replace them again.

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 06:13 PM
I doubt the headgaskets are bad. My buddy's 04 has almost 100k miles on it and sees 19lbs of boost daily along with a 150 shot and he's never had a single problem. I'd look at the radiator or the Tstat housing. Sometimes the housing will crack and cause problems.

Why would I be getting combustion gas in the coolant system?

blown96cobra
08-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Eewwwwww didn't see that. Probably should've read a little more into the thread.

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Eewwwwww didn't see that. Probably should've read a little more into the thread.

Thats cool. I am thankfull for the advice. Before I rip it apart Im gonna put in the new crossover tube I bought. Put in the new tstat from Lethal. The new cap. Flush the radiator and drain a few times. Start fresh and see what happens. You never know right? LOL!!! Im trying to positive about it.

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Whats everyone's feelings towards Fel Pro gaskets?

Dirtyd0g
08-09-2011, 06:45 PM
They are same as OEM I do not have a problem with them. Every 4.6 I have seen with problems after over heating had piston damage, i wouldn't buy anything until you take it apart and have a look.
Alan

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 07:18 PM
They are same as OEM I do not have a problem with them. Every 4.6 I have seen with problems after over heating had piston damage, i wouldn't buy anything until you take it apart and have a look.
Alan

I think I caught it before it really got bad. The car still runs great and no signs of anything yet.

I would still need all of those gasket right?

Blackout
08-09-2011, 07:48 PM
I know whats it's like to not think the worst but take it from some one who has learned there lesson..... Take the engine apart and see what it is doing. Running boost on any car with problems WILL, not MAYBE cause damage. It's just a matter of time. It's better to get the engine apart and see whats going on and get it fixed.

Good Luck!

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
I know whats it's like to not think the worst but take it from some one who has learned there lesson..... Take the engine apart and see what it is doing. Running boost on any car with problems WILL, not MAYBE cause damage. It's just a matter of time. It's better to get the engine apart and see whats going on and get it fixed.

Good Luck!

Oh yeah, its coming apart.

Dirtyd0g
08-09-2011, 08:34 PM
I think I caught it before it really got bad. The car still runs great and no signs of anything yet.

I would still need all of those gasket right?

The only gaskets you need for sure are the head gaskets. The others are reuseable to some extent.
Alan

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 08:49 PM
The only gaskets you need for sure are the head gaskets. The others are reuseable to some extent.
Alan

Yeah, I just pulled my valve covers about 2 months ago to have them painted and I reused those gaskets. It seems I cant find the head gaskets any cheaper than 200 by themselves. I found a Fel Pro gasket kit for about 160. And someone said they seen it for 100. It thats the case I might as well by them all if its cheap. My budget for this is in the negative. Im sure you can imagine the thoughts that are running through my head if I had some extra money to play with. LOL!!!

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
What do you guys think about this? Hopefully this link works.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/4.6L-Cylinder-Head-Changing-Kits.html

Dirtyd0g
08-09-2011, 09:16 PM
2v gaskets for $100 is about right Idon't know about 3v at all.
Alan

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 09:23 PM
2v gaskets for $100 is about right Idon't know about 3v at all.
Alan

Huh? It has an option over on the right for 2v or 4v. I clicked it and the price didnt change. Looks like it comes with head gaskets and bolts. If I go that route of using the stock head bolts. I am I looking at this wrong?

Dirtyd0g
08-09-2011, 10:17 PM
2v and 4v are the same head gaskets for sure. Rockauto has them for about $42 each IIRC.
Alan

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 10:20 PM
2v and 4v are the same head gaskets for sure. Rockauto has them for about $42 each IIRC.
Alan

Cool, Ill check it out. Thanks.

may93
08-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I had a similiar problem with my supercharged fox body and it ended up being the head gasket. The car ran fine but under boost it would push the coolant out causing the car to get hot. I went with Cometic head gaskets after the 2nd time replacing them. Doing a compression check didnt pin point the problem so I made a tool using an old compression guage an used it to put compressed air into the cylinders one at a time. When I got to the cylinder that pushed the coolant out of the radiator I knew I found the cause of my problem. Make sure you take the transmission out of gear when you do this. I also took one plug at a time out as I did this so that the motor didnt just turn over quickly.

rtvickers
08-09-2011, 10:38 PM
I had a similiar problem with my supercharged fox body and it ended up being the head gasket. The car ran fine but under boost it would push the coolant out causing the car to get hot. I went with Cometic head gaskets after the 2nd time replacing them. Doing a compression check didnt pin point the problem so I made a tool using an old compression guage an used it to put compressed air into the cylinders one at a time. When I got to the cylinder that pushed the coolant out of the radiator I knew I found the cause of my problem. Make sure you take the transmission out of gear when you do this. I also took one plug at a time out as I did this so that the motor didnt just turn over quickly.

Im pretty much convinced thats what it is. I was thinking of trying that but do I need to know which cyclinder it is?

Sorry if I miss spelled covinced.

cstreu1026
08-10-2011, 08:36 AM
The head changing kits from FRPP is usually the cheapest way to go. American Muscle has them for $105 and I believe you may be able to get a discount on that if you are a member on some of the bigger message boards like Modular Fords.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-cobra-head-kit-9604.html

03z06vette
08-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Sounds like a waterpump impellor. replace t-stat and waterpump...... If it failled the block test you may need some Kseal..

rtvickers
08-10-2011, 04:09 PM
The head changing kits from FRPP is usually the cheapest way to go. American Muscle has them for $105 and I believe you may be able to get a discount on that if you are a member on some of the bigger message boards like Modular Fords.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-cobra-head-kit-9604.html

It says these are not for a forced induction motor. And it didnt like the cobra in the fitment. Will these still work?

rtvickers
08-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Sounds like a waterpump impellor. replace t-stat and waterpump...... If it failled the block test you may need some Kseal..

What is Kseal?

03z06vette
08-11-2011, 08:35 AM
It is a head gasket sealor.

orangeconv
08-11-2011, 09:13 AM
My thought DON'T. HALF ASS ITS! Fix it right, winters around the corner have it fixed or fix it yourself right.

05yellowgt
08-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Have the heads ever come off that you know of? I'd be VERY surprised if the head gaskets failed. Head gasket failures aren't a problem on Mod motors till well into the high 20's in boost if not higher. I'd say the only way it was a head gasket problem would be if the heads have come off and someone re-used the stock head bolts. Head studs are the way to go. You get the added benefit of being re-usable, plus being stronger than stock and providing a more uniform clamping force on the heads.

Sorry if I missed this, but is the coolant being forced out of the radiator overflow, or the intercooler reservoir?

Dirtyd0g
08-11-2011, 09:59 AM
don't waste money on snake oil, usually just screws up the radiator and heater core and ends up costing you more.
Alan

graysonracin
08-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I was looking on a site we have here at my shop and the common problems with overheating and spewing out the coolant resevoir are the water pump, t/stat, and there is a special bleeding procedure. Says you can check the water pump by unhooking a heater hose and starting it and there should be a pretty forceful flow, not just a draining type flow. still doenst expain the exhaust gases in the coolant unless you sucked some coolant into the block tester and changed the color some. I dont know may help, may not. Look up the bleeding procedure online.

03z06vette
08-11-2011, 11:07 AM
K seal will not clog anything.. It is good shit. it will also help with the diag procedure. If it works then you know you need to replace the headgaskets soon..

03z06vette
08-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Remove the water pump. it sounds like the electric pump is the only thing working. Pulling the hose will not be a good test. I think his problem is volume of coolant moving. Either way I dont think it a head gasket.

I have a tool called AIR LIFT. I pulls a vacume on the cooling system them sucks the coolant in. You can borrow it if ya want. I also have a fresh bottle of block test fluid.

graysonracin
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Yeah i wouldnt use any type sealer shit either, whatever k seal is cant be as good as any of the other shit in a can.

05yellowgt
08-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Oh is there an electric water pump in the mix? Did you drill a few small holes in the outside of the thermostat housing when you installed it? We had to do that on my car per Mezerie's instruction. The pump has high flow, but I guess not always enough pressure to push water through the thermostat vs the stock pump. I don't know if that is exactly it, but it solved all of my overheating issues. Mike caught it on the dyno as we were breaking in my motor n/a.

03z06vette
08-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Yeah i wouldnt use any type sealer shit either, whatever k seal is cant be as good as any of the other shit in a can.

It is a good diag tool. not a fix..

03z06vette
08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Oh is there an electric water pump in the mix? Did you drill a few small holes in the outside of the thermostat housing when you installed it? We had to do that on my car per Mezerie's instruction. The pump has high flow, but I guess not always enough pressure to push water through the thermostat vs the stock pump. I don't know if that is exactly it, but it solved all of my overheating issues. Mike caught it on the dyno as we were breaking in my motor n/a.

Isnt there an electric pump for the blower?? thats what im talking about.

05yellowgt
08-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Oh yes, there is an electric pump for the supercharger intercooler system.

rtvickers
08-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but is the coolant being forced out of the radiator overflow, or the intercooler reservoir?

Its coming out of the radiator expansion tank. Intercooler system is good.

05yellowgt
08-11-2011, 03:30 PM
At this point I am looking at one or more of the following in no particular order:

1)bad/damaged head gasket

2) warped/cracked head

3)damaged pistons from overheating or detonation

4)cracked cylinder bore

I know anything is possible, but I'd be surprised to find a pushed or burnt head gasket with nothing else wrong.

rtvickers
08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I was looking on a site we have here at my shop and the common problems with overheating and spewing out the coolant resevoir are the water pump, t/stat, and there is a special bleeding procedure. Says you can check the water pump by unhooking a heater hose and starting it and there should be a pretty forceful flow, not just a draining type flow. still doenst expain the exhaust gases in the coolant unless you sucked some coolant into the block tester and changed the color some. I dont know may help, may not. Look up the bleeding procedure online.

There are a few different burping processes. Ive tried a few of them. Ive put 2 different tstats in it. I tested the one and it was good. But I just bought on from lethal performance thats going in. I think Im gonna do the test again to be sure. Reguardless Im gonna put a new pump in before I rip it apart. Thanks for the advice.

rtvickers
08-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Remove the water pump. it sounds like the electric pump is the only thing working. Pulling the hose will not be a good test. I think his problem is volume of coolant moving. Either way I dont think it a head gasket.

I have a tool called AIR LIFT. I pulls a vacume on the cooling system them sucks the coolant in. You can borrow it if ya want. I also have a fresh bottle of block test fluid.

Ive used the Radikitplusa. Which is probably the same thing. I couldnt get it to go all the way to 25psi of vaccum. It got to about 23psi. But it didnt work. Still overheated.

rtvickers
08-11-2011, 03:39 PM

No there is no electric water pump. Not sure where that came from. I have the stock mechanical pump.

rtvickers
08-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Isnt there an electric pump for the blower?? thats what im talking about.

Thats a totally different system. Not linked together. Thats the intercooler pump.

rtvickers
08-11-2011, 03:47 PM
At this point I am looking at one or more of the following in no particular order:

1)bad/damaged head gasket

2) warped/cracked head

3)damaged pistons from overheating or detonation

4)cracked cylinder bore

I know anything is possible, but I'd be surprised to find a pushed or burnt head gasket with nothing else wrong.

Yeah all of that is a good possiblity. It has overheated numerous times in past month. But I usually didnt let it get to hot. I only have the factory gauge. Im sure any of those suggestions are possible. Hopefully not. But if one of those happened, wouldnt the car be acting funny?

IWRBB
08-11-2011, 03:59 PM
It's not THAT uncommon to have a leaky head gasket on a 03 Cobra. I've seen a few over on Modularfords.com. If you have combustion products in your coolant, what else could it be? Honestly, I think mine may have a slight leak sometimes as well. I've got the coolant out the cap thing many times- but always when it's really hot and I was getting on it. Usually at the drag strip when it was hotlapped.

Mine could just be a warped coolant tank though. When I tried a different style of radiator cap, it mostly stopped. The aftermarket cap doesn't "click" like the stocker so you can just keep tightening it up as much as you want. I have a new coolant tank but haven't put it in yet to see if it makes a difference.

The coolant out the cap thing also subsided as it got pushed out and the level in the tank dropped. You need to leave some room in there for it to expand.

BTW, where'd you get the stuff to test for hydrocarbs in the coolant? Need to check mine.

05yellowgt
08-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Isn't it more common to have some coolant weep into the combustion chamber than it is for exhaust gasses to be getting into the coolant though?

rtvickers
08-11-2011, 04:22 PM
It's not THAT uncommon to have a leaky head gasket on a 03 Cobra. I've seen a few over on Modularfords.com. If you have combustion products in your coolant, what else could it be? Honestly, I think mine may have a slight leak sometimes as well. I've got the coolant out the cap thing many times- but always when it's really hot and I was getting on it. Usually at the drag strip when it was hotlapped.

Mine could just be a warped coolant tank though. When I tried a different style of radiator cap, it mostly stopped. The aftermarket cap doesn't "click" like the stocker so you can just keep tightening it up as much as you want. I have a new coolant tank but haven't put it in yet to see if it makes a difference.

The coolant out the cap thing also subsided as it got pushed out and the level in the tank dropped. You need to leave some room in there for it to expand.

BTW, where'd you get the stuff to test for hydrocarbs in the coolant? Need to check mine.

Mine is an 04. I busted one tank and bought another one. I used a kit we had at work. But they got it from NAPA for $30 to $40. Im not sure where the exhaust gases would come from if the head gasket isnt blown. This all new to me. Ive only had the car for almost a year. Im still learning.

rtvickers
08-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Isn't it more common to have some coolant weep into the combustion chamber than it is for exhaust gasses to be getting into the coolant though?

Thats what I thought. But no white smoke. There is absolutely no signs of anything except for the test. I havent drove it in a few days. I dont want to drive it. I dont want to make anything worse. I will shoot a video of everything this weekend and post it.

IWRBB
08-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Mine is an 04. I busted one tank and bought another one. I used a kit we had at work. But they got it from NAPA for $30 to $40. Im not sure where the exhaust gases would come from if the head gasket isnt blown. This all new to me. Ive only had the car for almost a year. Im still learning.

03, 04- same thing. There were a few very small changes, but it's 99.9% the same car. I call them all 03 Cobras.

I'll have to pick up one of the test kits and see what my car does with it.

rtvickers
08-12-2011, 03:38 PM
03, 04- same thing. There were a few very small changes, but it's 99.9% the same car. I call them all 03 Cobras.

I'll have to pick up one of the test kits and see what my car does with it.

I have access to one, if your ever down this way you could swing by and Ill let you use it. It belongs to work and I would have to borrow it so maybe a days notice or so. I can get it any day of the week. I didnt want to have to buy one to use it once. So some how work needed one. Weird how somethings happen. Unless you just want to buy one so that you would have one laying around. But just let me know.

rtvickers
08-16-2011, 08:57 PM
I did 3 combustion gas tests today. Washed the tube out and tested it 3 times. It tested positive all three times. I think I will start the tear down on saturday.

rtvickers
08-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Ive decided to do this job myself. Sorry Adam I couldnt come up with the money to get it to you. I would have rather done that, trust me. I started on it today. Wow, thats all I can say. I have mid JBA's and on the driver side I took the head out with the header still on it. Wasnt too bad. And I didnt have a big enough wrench to take off the egr tube so it came off with it as well. The passenger side isnt that easy. I cant take the head off with the header attached. Its going to be tough to get it off. And there's one head bolt thats hitting the strut tower. Thats the only two things keeping it from coming off.

There is definity something going on in there. There's light brownish milky stuff everywhere. Is that normal? Im using Amsoil 5w30. Just put it in like 1500 miles ago. I guess that oil is no good now, right? I drained before I did any of the important stuff.
Oh well we'll see how it goes.

JIMS SVT
08-28-2011, 08:57 AM
The head bolt doesnt have to come all the way out. Ive pulled them out as far as they will go then wrap a rubberband or zip tie around it at the head then lift the head off.

zippy94
08-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I hate to say it you better pull the motor and check your bearing. If you see signs of water in oil. Just my 2 cents

Adam@S&MMotorsports
08-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Ive decided to do this job myself. Sorry Adam I couldnt come up with the money to get it to you. I would have rather done that, trust me. I started on it today. Wow, thats all I can say. I have mid JBA's and on the driver side I took the head out with the header still on it. Wasnt too bad. And I didnt have a big enough wrench to take off the egr tube so it came off with it as well. The passenger side isnt that easy. I cant take the head off with the header attached. Its going to be tough to get it off. And there's one head bolt thats hitting the strut tower. Thats the only two things keeping it from coming off.

There is definity something going on in there. There's light brownish milky stuff everywhere. Is that normal? Im using Amsoil 5w30. Just put it in like 1500 miles ago. I guess that oil is no good now, right? I drained before I did any of the important stuff.
Oh well we'll see how it goes.

No worries man, give me a call if you need anything.

rtvickers
08-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Pics of the pistons.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/piston3.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/piston8.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/piston7.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/piston6.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/piston5.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/piston4.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/piston2.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/piston1.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/cylinder4.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/cylinder3.jpg

Dirtyd0g
08-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Did you find a blown out gasket?
Alan

rtvickers
08-29-2011, 10:58 PM
There's a few places that are in question but nothing definite. The gasket was a little wavey but not sure if that was from wrestling with head to get it off. There's something definitly going on in 2 & 3

Dirtyd0g
08-30-2011, 02:00 AM
Make sure to look the head over for cracks, it isn't common but anything can happen. Aluminum heads you just have to clean them up and look at them you'll see if there is a problem.
Alan

IWRBB
08-30-2011, 08:13 AM
It's rare, but the block can crack too. It's usually guys with big HP numbers but you never know until you look.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f17/broken-block-i-mean-really-broken-138367/

2Fast4You
08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
It looks like a rebuild to me but that's just my opinion.

Blackout
08-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Looks like detonation on the ringland. I would also check the heads. Also make sure you get the heads trued up for flatness. If you havnt looked yet, get you head gasket kit from Modular Depot. It's only $105 from them.

cstreu1026
08-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Looks like detonation on the ringland. I would also check the heads. Also make sure you get the heads trued up for flatness. If you havnt looked yet, get you head gasket kit from Modular Depot. It's only $105 from them.

I don't know if he has anymore but I picked up one from John Tymensky at Modular Performance for $69 a couple of weeks ago.

rtvickers
08-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Didnt Modular Depot get bought out? What all comes with the kid they sell?

Blackout
08-30-2011, 05:04 PM
not as far as I know. I was just there the other day. Here is a link to the kit. They have it online also if you want to order it. I just went down and bought it strait from them. But I'm impatient also...... just me. lol. Hope this helps.

http://www.modulardepot.com/Gaskets/c33/index.html

rtvickers
08-30-2011, 07:26 PM
not as far as I know. I was just there the other day. Here is a link to the kit. They have it online also if you want to order it. I just went down and bought it strait from them. But I'm impatient also...... just me. lol. Hope this helps.

http://www.modulardepot.com/Gaskets/c33/index.html

There's a note at the bottom that says except supercharged engines. Mine has a whipple.

rtvickers
08-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Here are some pics of the heads. And a pic of the gasket. I think I found the problem. The first pic is the gasket off the right side. The second pic is the head off the right side and the last pic is the left side.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/IMG00138-20110830-1708.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/IMG00141-20110830-1710.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd416/rtvickers/IMG00140-20110830-1709.jpg

Dirtyd0g
08-30-2011, 08:14 PM
make sure to have the plane checked on both the heads and block. I have a precision steel rule if you need to use it. I won't loan it out but you can bring the parts here and use it.
Alan

JIMS SVT
09-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Didnt Modular Depot get bought out? What all comes with the kid they sell?

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?t=111957

rtvickers
09-01-2011, 02:24 PM
http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?t=111957

Yeah I got this email early this week or late last week. I checked out their kit and it says not for supercharged engines.

JIMS SVT
09-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Ive used that kit on turbo motors a few times with no problems at all.

rtvickers
09-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Ive used that kit on turbo motors a few times with no problems at all.

How much boost was you using and did you use arp studs or stock bolts?

Blackout
09-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I have put them on a couple of boosted engines and they work out fine. There are a few people I know running 18psi. On them. They will hold up fine. Now as far as the bolts go, if your running more than ......I would say 14 psi, I would get the arp's. But other than that, stock bolts will be ok.

rtvickers
12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I finished my head gasket repair lastnight. So far the car runs great. Highest temp Ive seen yet has been 197 on my areoforce gauge. I still need to do a final burp of the system. I would've had it done a few weeks ago but my Dad past away and I had to take a break. But its up and running now. I want to give a big THANK YOU to all of you guys that have helped me with your advice and knowledge. And thanks to Adam for the machine work and listening to me for 2 hours when I dropped off my heads. So thanks for all of your help.

1987coupe
12-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your Dad man. Good job on the car i dont think i would have tackled the timing part of that.

Blackout
12-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Also sorry to hear of your loss.... Damn...

Glad you got your car going though.

331lx
12-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Sorry to hear that man I lost my mom goin on seven years in may I was only 16 at the time so I know what u goin through, but glad to hear u got your car goin again

rtvickers
12-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys for the support. It's a very unexpected and tragic loss.

As for the car, the timing wasn't that bad. I didn't degree the cams. I will when I upgrade the heads. I just lined up the dots. Runs great

NXcoupe
12-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I finished my head gasket repair lastnight. So far the car runs great. Highest temp Ive seen yet has been 197 on my areoforce gauge. I still need to do a final burp of the system. I would've had it done a few weeks ago but my Dad past away and I had to take a break. But its up and running now. I want to give a big THANK YOU to all of you guys that have helped me with your advice and knowledge. And thanks to Adam for the machine work and listening to me for 2 hours when I dropped off my heads. So thanks for all of your help.

Sorry for your loss, lost my dad a long time ago, way too young, and it's not an easy thing to deal with. My condolences.
Glad to hear you got your car done.

Sorry to hear that man I lost my mom goin on seven years in may I was only 16 at the time so I know what u goin through,
We have something in common then. I lost my mom before my dad went. It's tough. Holidays are the worst, but I'm glad and lucky I have my daughter and wife, it gets me through it.

rtvickers
12-31-2011, 12:23 PM
We have something in common then. I lost my mom before my dad went. It's tough. Holidays are the worst, but I'm glad and lucky I have my daughter and wife, it gets me through it.

Its very tough. I found him sitting at the kitchen table. My car was in his garage. I went up there every week day for the past several months to work on it. He made me diner every night. The night before it happened, which was Tuesday the 20. I got the car running. I had a few things left to do so I didnt take it off the jackstands. Im glad he got to hear it run. I was planning on finishing it on Wed the 21. Thats the day it happened. We laid him out on Wed the 28. Life definitly changes after a loss like that.

Blkcobra01
12-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Very sorry for your loss man happy to hear u got the car running.

NXcoupe
12-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Its very tough. I found him sitting at the kitchen table. My car was in his garage. I went up there every week day for the past several months to work on it. He made me diner every night. The night before it happened, which was Tuesday the 20. I got the car running. I had a few things left to do so I didnt take it off the jackstands. Im glad he got to hear it run. I was planning on finishing it on Wed the 21. Thats the day it happened. We laid him out on Wed the 28. Life definitly changes after a loss like that.

Damn, I am glad you got to spend some time with him like that. I know my dad used to cook and we'd hang out whenever I'd make it down to his place. When he got sick, I was in college and covered up busy, but I tried to see him as much as I could before he passed.
To loose someone suddenly like that has to be so hard. Take solace in the time you got to spend with him, he helped to form the person you are today.

rtvickers
12-31-2011, 10:35 PM
Take solace in the time you got to spend with him, he helped to form the person you are today.

Absolutely, 100%