PDA

View Full Version : Mod motors

MFIELD
08-10-2011, 06:19 PM
I am done with them, Went to Tristate this weekend and only made 2 passes and no oil pressure again. I dont get it, I had everything machined and checked all clearences and all were in spec both time I put this thing together. So far it looks like the only real damage is the crank is ruined so I will be cleaning up everything and have some parts for sale soon. I'm torn on what to do next. I have a set of Yates heads I would love to build a stroked windsor but I am tired of spending money. I may just do an Explorer motor and keep it stock and go back to running UMTR.

Dirtyd0g
08-10-2011, 07:04 PM
what oil pumps are you running?

KB1
08-10-2011, 08:57 PM
I blew my 2000 GT up, it had a Vortech with only 8lbs of boost :(

MFIELD
08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
what oil pumps are you running?

Melling with billet gears both times.

cstreu1026
08-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Either you have the worst luck in the world or there is something else wrong in there.

MFIELD
08-10-2011, 09:33 PM
I do seem to draw bad luck. LOL. I dont know what else it could be and I'm at the point where I'm not looking anymore.

mustangboy
08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Damn dude sucks to hear. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Dirtyd0g
08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Are the oil pumps failing at all or just bearings spinning? What crank? what block? What bearings

kennebellcobra
08-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Hate to hear that Mike!!

RIXXX93GT
08-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Damn Mike...that sucks. Throw a stock windsor short block with those yates heads and a solid roller in it.

blown96cobra
08-10-2011, 10:49 PM
^what Rick said! That would haul ass!

RACEME
08-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Do you have a larger volume oil pan? I read someplace that a mod motor has like 3-4 quarts of oil up in the top end at like 6000 rpms with stock oiling system. Using a better oil pump might be sucking the pan dry.

duststang
08-11-2011, 07:00 AM
that really stinks. good luck with whatever you decide.

bobtsgt
08-11-2011, 07:07 AM
sucks to hear. does sound like something is off though. I have a meiling in mine and it runs perfect pressure for the past 2 years. When you get the pump out spec the gears in it. If they are within range then something else has gone wrong.

Brandon Alsept
08-11-2011, 07:37 AM
What tolerances did you have everything machined to. Also who did the machine work, and what all did you have machined / checked.

SCHMUCKINGHAM
08-11-2011, 09:20 AM
I have to agree with the mod motors, its the reason I sold my Lightning. Tired of weird shit happening

05yellowgt
08-11-2011, 09:38 AM
What's the condition of the oil pump and gears. What dampener are you running? Mod motors are notorious to eat up the oil pump if a less than stellar dampener is used. Running a good one like an ATI helps tremendously to prevent oil pump failures, along with avoiding detonation. Believe it or not detonation kills a LOT of mod motors because it eats the oil pumps.

Brandon Alsept
08-11-2011, 10:11 AM
What's the condition of the oil pump and gears. What dampener are you running? Mod motors are notorious to eat up the oil pump if a less than stellar dampener is used. Running a good one like an ATI helps tremendously to prevent oil pump failures, along with avoiding detonation. Believe it or not detonation kills a LOT of mod motors because it eats the oil pumps.

Very true

That and a GOOD machine shop that does good balance work.

Since this happened twice to you did you have the block line honed with the main caps all torqued proper with all the bolts 4-6 which ever block you use. I saw some very interesting stuff happen with the main size when those little side bolts get torqued. Just food for thought.

MFIELD
08-11-2011, 05:33 PM
So many questions to answer. Teksid block, cobra crank, Sealed power bearings, Manley Rods, Melling pump. I have visually looked at the gears and pump now and dont see anything scored. The first time the engine was built I had it done in northern IN by a engine shop that builds a lot of circle track stuff and also drag engines. I know the owner personally and yes it was line honed both times. That shop also balanced the entire rotating assy even the clutch. The second time it was done by Steve Barker. Now Steve did point something out to me on the crank but that is not why it failed. It has a casting flaw on the No.1 main journal. That bearing looks like new. Before anyone even asks or thinks it I DO NOT blame anyone for these issues. I do know the first time it happened it was due to the pressure of the converter when I put an auto behind it and it wiped out the thrust, that was my bad. I bought all new rods and bearings and pump, had the crank repaired and then balanced by Steve and he did the block as well. I checked the clearances again when assembling. I was running a stock pan. I am thinking this may have been a detonation issue. I will know better when I get the heads off. I blame myself for trying to many things at one time. Just frustrated.

Just to add the balancer and flywheel are both SFI and all ARP hardware.

bangingears
08-11-2011, 08:08 PM
so what is the actual cause of no pressure? broken pump gear? If you line hone a mod block too many times, it actual moves the crank centerline highier and puts unusual stress on oil pump gear. Also not making sure dampner has the correct press fit dampner installed correctly

MFIELD
08-11-2011, 09:29 PM
I have no idea, no broken gears. I dont think it was a pump problem from to stress. It was not hard to put on or tight to put the bolts in.

bangingears
08-11-2011, 11:14 PM
I have no idea, no broken gears. I dont think it was a pump problem from to stress. It was not hard to put on or tight to put the bolts in.

could you have a faulty gauge.....lol

MFIELD
08-12-2011, 07:54 AM
No gauge is good. Pulled the heads and the pistons dont show any detonation but the bearings on a few rods were destroyed.:dunno:

zippy94
08-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Is there anyway to check pump or tolerance for crank and pump to see if pump is off center line?

bbfstanger
08-16-2011, 11:40 PM
that suck's to hear!
you need to use them heads you have on something anyways!!!