PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Kentucky people.

Maximus
08-21-2011, 04:12 PM
What does the state need from me in order to get an Ohio titled car switched to a Kentucky title? I know in Ohio I have to take the car to a dealer and they can sign a paper saying the title number matches the vin. But where do I take the title & car in Kenton county Kentucky??
Thanks in advance.

jlt2006
08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
I had to have a sheriffs inspection. Which I went to a specified automotive business and they looked at the vin, milage and such. Took that to the title dept along with my memo title and I am waiting for the bank to send title to them and they will title it in KY.

Maximus
08-21-2011, 04:32 PM
I had to have a sheriffs inspection. Which I went to a specified automotive business and they looked at the vin, milage and such. Took that to the title dept along with my memo title and I am waiting for the bank to send title to them and they will title it in KY.

So it cant be done the same day? I have a notarized Ohio title in hand and was hoping to have a Kentucky title in hand on the same day. I could have it done in Ohio same day, but I went and got a KY Drivers liscense. :(

zippy94
08-21-2011, 04:47 PM
After you have it switched, it will take 3-4 weeks to get new title issued. Or apply for speedy title for $25.00 in 2 weeks. Btw watch out for the taxes they might try to charge.I don't know with you already own. But out of state

Jeff88coupe
08-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Can take it to the courthouse in Independence. Sheriff does a VIN check for like $5...then you go to the clerk of courts office one office over to transfer the title. You will have to pay state personal property tax on it for the year.

Maximus
08-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Can take it to the courthouse in Independence. Sheriff does a VIN check for like $5...then you go to the clerk of courts office one office over to transfer the title. You will have to pay state personal property tax on it for the year.

What I paid for it, or Blue book??

KYGTP
08-21-2011, 07:33 PM
What I paid for it, or Blue book??

What you payed for it, from what I remember.

Then it will take a while to get a true KY title in hand, since they have to send it down to Frankfort and then they will mail you a new title with your name and such on it. At least that is what happened to us when we got a new car.

I don't know if it is different from county to county though, but I think that is how it works for all though.

Dirtyd0g
08-21-2011, 07:43 PM
You have to have the title and a bill of sale showing the vehicles sale price because kentucky charges taxes based on the vehicle value.
Alan

Stangman
08-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Jeeze. Sounds like a regular PITA if you ask me...

jccox77
08-21-2011, 08:32 PM
u might need a ky VTR form and it will need to be notarized as well

mustangboy
08-21-2011, 08:36 PM
You will pay taxes on book value or if you paid less than book value you have to have a total consideration form signed and notorized by the seller saying what you paid. I always seem to get titles back in 2-3 weeks

Gearhead
08-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Jeeze. Sounds like a regular PITA if you ask me...

It sure is, it's much easier in Ohio. In KY, you have to go to the county courthouse or downtown Covington for all your BMV stuff, at least in Kenton county...

In Ohio, I had my pick of which BMV office I could go to.....Loveland, Milford,Montgomery, Sharonville etc,etc, whatever is in your local area, which is much more convenient. And, you get your title right then and none of the ridiculous taxes....

Maximus
08-21-2011, 10:11 PM
WOW! I think I'm going to get my Ohio liscense back!!:o

Jeff88coupe
08-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Well..the amount of taxes you pay between KY and OH are pretty close overall. You just pay them in different ways between the 2 states.

Maximus
08-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Well..the amount of taxes you pay between KY and OH are pretty close overall. You just pay them in different ways between the 2 states.

Im not worried about the taxes, I would like to have a new title AND tags all in one day.

Dirtyd0g
08-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Once you have the documents go to the kenton county court house in independence (don't go to covington you'll be there all day) and they will take care of you quickly. Heck I got my marriage license there in about 15 minutes, it goes quick when you don't have to explain the relationship :P
Alan

CNTLOSE
08-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Also if you got any type of deal on it KY will require the former owner fill out a form on the price paid. When I sold my Cherokee last Spring they did not believe he bought it for $900 with KBB showing a $1800 value...of course if they would have went outside and looked at it they would know why. But anyway the faxed me a form to fill out and I had to fax it back.

Maximus
08-21-2011, 10:43 PM
You have to have the title and a bill of sale showing the vehicles sale price because kentucky charges taxes based on the vehicle value.
Alan

Also if you got any type of deal on it KY will require the former owner fill out a form on the price paid. When I sold my Cherokee last Spring they did not believe he bought it for $900 with KBB showing a $1800 value...of course if they would have went outside and looked at it they would know why. But anyway the faxed me a form to fill out and I had to fax it back.

So what about trades? Where do I find out KY values on cars?

WTF is that???:(

mustangboy
08-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Craig they just look at the yellow used car book. The VTR form they also call the total consideration form. Unless you paid a bunch less than it is worth in the book may not be worth the hassle. So what did you end up getting?

Maximus
08-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Craig they just look at the yellow used car book. The VTR form they also call the total consideration form. Unless you paid a bunch less than it is worth in the book may not be worth the hassle. So what did you end up getting?

That Blue Striped GT in the back. I figured I might as well take it up to trails and run True Street with a big FO SALE on it.:)

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1992/Ford/Mustang/Hatchback-2D-GT-V8/Values
So according to the above chart, what will I be paying tax on? Whats the % they charge??

mustangboy
08-22-2011, 12:02 AM
I believe 6%

Maximus
08-22-2011, 12:32 AM
I believe 6%

So 6% EVERY year??

Da Natti
08-22-2011, 12:51 AM
6% and $20 tagging fee it will take a while for the title and $5 for inspection for the sheriff

Dirtyd0g
08-22-2011, 02:37 AM

That is the bill of sale and unless you have a really good form they will only accept it if you use their form. A handwritten note usually will not do it.
Alan

bestracing
08-22-2011, 12:11 PM

What you payed for it, from what I remember.

Then it will take a while to get a true KY title in hand, since they have to send it down to Frankfort and then they will mail you a new title with your name and such on it. At least that is what happened to us when we got a new car.

I don't know if it is different from county to county though, but I think that is how it works for all though.

If you don't have the VTR form and have that notorized as well for the purchase price then you will have to pay what the NADA book says it's worth.

When I bought my 86 T/A from Ohio, I had the title from the car notorized signed just like you would buying in Ohio.

Next I took the car to Independance Court House and had the Sheriff do his inspection. He might have you turn lights on and turn signals and some other stuff. He fills out a title transfer paper and you take this next door to the title dept.

Once there, if you don't have the VTR they looked the price up in the NADA book. I was okay with this since I paid a little over value. Bad part was they looked under the NADA collector book and it was worth ~$5k more :eek: I calmly told her that the last time I called it was worth 2.5K not 7K and that I didn't know where she got this new value. She showed me the book and then I told her that she had the wrong one that "My" car is in the other standard book.

Took about a whole 30 minutes including standing in line waiting.

bestracing
08-22-2011, 12:16 PM
So 6% EVERY year??

Yup See here -->http://countyclerk.meadecounty.ky.gov/mv/tf/utf.htm

VTR Form --> http://countyclerk.meadecounty.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/311EF6CA-658C-4D20-B7E0-0482CF75E685/0/TC96182.pdf

A motor vehicle usage tax of six percent (6%) is levied upon the "retail price" of vehicles registered for the first time in Kentucky. In the case of new vehicles, the "retail price" is the total consideration given (The consideration is the total of the cash or amount financed and the value of any vehicle traded in) or 90% of the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP), including all additional equipment and destination charges. On any vehicles purchased out of state the "retail price" is based on the total consideration given (the Total Consideration Statement on VTR form must be completed and VTR signed by out of state dealer or individual and must be notarized) or average retail value as listed in NADA (National Auto Dealers Association) Official Used Car Guide. An out of state purchase of a used vehicle, now allows for trade-in credit.

In the case of vehicles brought into Kentucky by new residents, the taxable value is the average trade-in value as listed in the NADA Official Used Car Guide.

If a vehicle is given as a "gift" then the taxable value is the average trade-in value as listed in the NADA Official Used Car Guide.

Note: Penalty provisions for any person who willfully and fraudulently gives a false statement as to total and actual consideration paid for a motor vehicle shall be guilty of a Class D felony and shall be fined not less than $2,000 per offense.

Usage Tax
A motor vehicle usage tax of six percent (6%) is levied upon the "retail price" of vehicles registered for the first time in Kentucky. In the case of new vehicles, the "retail price" is the total consideration given (the consideration is the total of the cash or amount financed and the value of any vehicle traded in) or 90% of the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP), including all additional equipment and destination charges.

Note: Penalty provisions for any person who willfully and fraudulently gives a false statement as to total and actual consideration paid for a motor vehicle shall be guilty of a Class D felony and shall be fined not less than $2,000 per offense.

Fees
Kentucky Title Fee:
$9.00

Notary Fee:
$2.00

The title is mailed to the owner by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Title Branch, Frankfort, KY 40601. Expect the title in about 4-6 weeks.

Yearly Renewal Registration Fee:
$21.00

Usage Tax:
6% of "retail price" (See Usage Tax description above)

Sheriff Inspection Fee:
$5.00

Maximus
08-22-2011, 12:18 PM
HA! Looks like Cincy Speed will be the owner of a 92 GT Mustang!!

and every other car I get from now on!!

Maximus
08-22-2011, 12:24 PM
So let me get this straight.....

A KY resident buys a $30000 car. Has to pay $1800 in tax.
Next year, that car depreciates to say $25000. They then have to pay $1500 for tags?
Then the 3rd year, $20000 and pay $1200 for tags??
Thats $4500 in tax!!!!

That cant be right!! I have to be missing something.:confused:

bestracing
08-22-2011, 12:35 PM
HA! Looks like Cincy Speed will be the owner of a 92 GT Mustang!!

Just don't park them where the Popo can see the plates then. They are going after people for living in Ky and titling them out of state.

Maximus
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Just don't park them where the Popo can see the plates then. They are going after people for living in Ky and titling them out of state.

Oh my Crazy neighbor screams about our Suburban all the time. Our 97 Honda is in KY so its all good.

Serious, my last post, is that how KY works???

orangedemon331
08-22-2011, 12:44 PM
You got it about right!! It sucks for cars/truck sales and trades over here!!

bestracing
08-22-2011, 12:55 PM
You got it about right!! It sucks for cars/truck sales and trades over here!!

Yup it's considered property and it's taxed every year. I only pay a little ~$70 each year but that's because $40 is for my personalized plate and my car is worth under $500 ;)

Maximus
08-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Yup it's considered property and it's taxed every year. I only pay a little ~$70 each year but that's because $40 is for my personalized plate and my car is worth under $500 ;)

SCREW ALL THAT!!!! :mad:

Maximus
08-22-2011, 01:02 PM
So how can it be considered property if someone is Leasing it, or making payments on it? You dont own it, the bank does. Make those Fuggers pay the tax on it!!:bigthumb

Gene
08-22-2011, 01:26 PM
SCREW ALL THAT!!!! :mad:

Now you see why houses are so much cheaper in KY. Every state makes you take in the rear with taxes somehow...KY hits you hard when it comes to cars (and boats) so it particularly screws guys who like to have multiple vehicles.

beefcake
08-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Now you see why houses are so much cheaper in KY. Every state makes you take in the rear with taxes somehow...KY hits you hard when it comes to cars (and boats) so it particularly screws guys who like to have multiple vehicles.

Why I will never live in KY, lol!

mustangboy
08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Like Jeff said it doesn't really cost anymore to live in KY they just get you in different areas. Keep in mind I have 4 cars, a boat and a camper I pay taxes on.

Ranger50
08-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Caveat: If you already have an out of state plate, you only pay the difference or if you can sweettalk the clerk you have, nothing.

When I transferred my F250 to KY, I paid NOTHING in additional tax, as it was a previously registered vehicle. It's stated on my MI registration how much I paid and it worked out to paying nothing.

Timido
08-22-2011, 08:16 PM
WOW so if I lived in KY i would have to pay $2100 a year tax on 2 cars? Unreal no wonder there are a lot of hoopties in KY

Da Natti
08-22-2011, 11:36 PM
It is not 6% every year just when you first buy it!

Maximus
08-23-2011, 12:12 AM
It is not 6% every year just when you first buy it!

Well that is what I was asking! So what do you pay (%) on the following years?

jlt2006
08-23-2011, 07:12 AM
I do not know yet what my 06 is going to cost, still waiting on title.
But Ponymom paid maybe $50 for the 88 and about $350ish for the 05. So your 92 can be that much.

Is Ohio in the $70 now for a car?

Ranger50
08-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Well that is what I was asking! So what do you pay (%) on the following years?

Whatever the county says to pay. :D

Each county is different to the exact amount you pay. I know I paid more for all my vehicles in Fayette County then I do now in Pike County. I just paid the taxes on my all my fleet and the bill is $120. Those same vehicles were $200 in the other county.

bestracing
08-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I cant view the tax rates at work since Big Brother has blocked it but here's a page that has a link for the tax rates.

http://www.kentonpva.com/htm/motor.htm

Maximus
08-23-2011, 12:44 PM
It took me longer to drive to the BMV then it did to get a title, Tags and insurance! I actually own a RUNNING Mustang again!! :bigthumb

Now, someone come buy it!!!:lol:

Da Natti
08-23-2011, 10:35 PM
did you license in kenton couty

Maximus
08-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Ohio.:bigthumb