PDA

View Full Version : Typical Fox hatch rust

Pitbull1052
08-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know of or came up with a perm solution to the typical Fox hatch rust? I'm tired of replacing them or does anyone even know what causes it?

chris91
08-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Couple people told me its from the spoiler holes. Water gets in through there and sits inside and kills the hatch.

Pitbull1052
08-23-2011, 08:45 AM
wonder if you can put like those rubber pads on the bottom of the spoiler or something to keep the water out

plated
08-24-2011, 02:21 AM
wonder if you can put like those rubber pads on the bottom of the spoiler or something to keep the water out

yea if you put them on 20 yrs ago before the rust started,i've replaced 4 hatches in the past 6months,theres rustfree ones out there but your gonna pay 150 or more,i get around 600 to paint and intall a new one

Pitbull1052
08-24-2011, 08:54 AM
yea if you put them on 20 yrs ago before the rust started,i've replaced 4 hatches in the past 6months,theres rustfree ones out there but your gonna pay 150 or more,i get around 600 to paint and intall a new one

I'm pretty sure this is the second rust free one on the car in a year. I meant if i have a rust free hatch get it painted put the rubber pads under the spoiler will it help. My painter charges a little less than that.

plated
08-25-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm pretty sure this is the second rust free one on the car in a year. I meant if i have a rust free hatch get it painted put the rubber pads under the spoiler will it help. My painter charges a little less than that.

try asking your painter he could tell ya,he should know

Pitbull1052
08-25-2011, 08:32 AM
try asking your painter he could tell ya,he should know

That's what I'll do then thought i'd ask the Mustang community first......

Thanks for all the great advise Plated..... :bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-25-2011, 10:40 AM
If this is the red headed bitch we're talking about, as i'm sure it is, that damn car eats hatches. Of all the things that are perfect on that car, the hatch has never been one of them.

Pitbull1052
08-25-2011, 10:45 AM
If this is the red headed bitch we're talking about, as i'm sure it is, that damn car eats hatches. Of all the things that are perfect on that car, the hatch has never been one of them.

Yup that would be the one lol and I know right I dunno why either and it drives me nuts looking at it.........

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Well, i think the last paint job was why this one rusted. It started rusting just a few months after it was painted. I don't know why, i know the guy did everything right when he painted it. Maybe it does have something to do with spoiler holes. I'd like to think new rubber pieces were put in when the spoiler was put back on but you never know where people are gonna cut corners.

Pitbull1052
08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Well, i think the last paint job was why this one rusted. It started rusting just a few months after it was painted. I don't know why, i know the guy did everything right when he painted it. Maybe it does have something to do with spoiler holes. I'd like to think new rubber pieces were put in when the spoiler was put back on but you never know where people are gonna cut corners.

yup i heard that......... how's your car doin? I thought i saw your cop car on the side of the road the other day but didnt see anyone with it or i would have stopped.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-25-2011, 11:09 AM
It's good, running great. Still need to redo the window trim and i'm still working on sorting out all my turn signal lights brake lights and license plate light bulbs. Need to get with Plated and get this windshield taken care of soon. I think i may have a lead on a black interior too.

Pitbull1052
08-25-2011, 11:13 AM
It's good, running great. Still need to redo the window trim and i'm still working on sorting out all my turn signal lights brake lights and license plate light bulbs. Need to get with Plated and get this windshield taken care of soon. I think i may have a lead on a black interior too.

Nice that'll be slick with black interior are you staying with your same style seat or like the sport bucket or whatever they call them the one's that are in my car lol......... There was a set of black one's like yours on craigs going for pretty cheap.

85_SS_302_Coupe
08-25-2011, 11:15 AM
If i can find nice black GT seats without selling my soul to get them i may switch but i don't mind LX seats. In the long run i'd like to get some halo Recaros and dye them black. It's staying 4 eye interior though, i'm keeping the stock SSP dash cluster in it. I'm debating on dynomatting the floor pan or not.

plated
08-25-2011, 11:26 AM
rust is rust i don't care who fixes,i wouldn't blame the last guy who painted it,he just painted it we can't gaurentee a paint job will make a car never rust again,expecially a hatch the water just runs there and stays,sux i know,in my 22 yrs i have never met a bodyshop owner thats gaurentees rust repair

AntiRice427
08-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Stick a glass hatch on it! It will never rust again lol.

Pitbull1052
08-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Stick a glass hatch on it! It will never rust again lol.

I heard that what about fit and finish?

AntiRice427
08-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Im not sure about fit, finish wouldn't be any different than a glass hood.

Pitbull1052
08-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Im not sure about fit, finish wouldn't be any different than a glass hood.

Hmmmmm know anyone who has one? I just wanna see how they look

AntiRice427
08-25-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't know anybody local that has one. Go to the nmra race next week and you will see plenty.