PDA

View Full Version : Amp keeps blowing fuses

Steves LX
08-23-2011, 11:05 AM
So I have a Punch 900 amp with a 12" sub in my truck. Last week I disconnected the box to make more room in my truck when we went out of town. The other day I put the box back in. I noticed it wasnt working. So I checked the fuse up at the battery and it was blown. I replaced it and as soon as I turn the key you can hear the amp kick on or a pop throught the sub and then nothing. The fuse blows instantly. So I checked all the wiring and tried again. It did the same thing. So I pulled the amp and stuck it under the hood and used the same wiring and remote wire and went straight off the battery and the amp powered up. I did not have the sub hooked up to it though. I didn't have enough wire to do that. Any ideas as to what is causing this? I am using a hi level adapter with rca's on it and the hi level taps into my rear speakers to get its sinal and then to my sub or vice versa. You stereo guys know what I am talking about. Any help would be great.

blue5.8
08-23-2011, 11:16 AM
did you check the fuses in the amp?

Steves LX
08-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Well I could be wrong but it doesn't have one right at the amp. I will doublecheck to make sure tonight. But I am positive that it doesn't have any at the amp. And if it did and they were blown then it would've never powered up when I diconnected the sub from it and hooked it up under the hood.

02gt
08-23-2011, 01:04 PM
When my amp kept doing that I got a bigger amp fuse if I remember right I doubled the size and it worked great

blue5.8
08-23-2011, 01:10 PM
the amp should have one or two fuses in it almost every amp does

redfirepearlgt
08-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Okay, so you have the remote (12r+) terminal on the power intput side of the amp tied into a power source that turns on as soon as the iginition switch is turned on (assuming the radio is off).
Try this: You will need volt/ohm meter. I know you have one.

Read resistance between the 12V+ and Grd terminals on the amplifier with all power wires disconnected. If it reads any resistance above say 1.5 ohms, then hook up the ground wire and the +12R wires only. DO NOT HOOK UP THE BATTERY POWER YET. Turn on the key and read resistance across the 12V+ (battery connection on amp) to GRD again. if it is reading less than 1 ohm the amplifier is shorted to ground and will require repair. If it shows some form of resistance above 1.0 ohm there is still hope.Next (with battery power still disconnected) measure resistance across the subwoofer speaker terminals (with speaker still connected and key off) which should read between 2-4 ohms reisistance roughly factoring in amplifier internal resistance. If this reads short to grd (less than 1 ohm) disconnect the speaker and see if the resistance across the terminals increases or stays less than 1 ohm (short to grd). If it increases it is likely wiring or the voicecoil on the sub. Try connectingthe battery power at this point and turn on the key (with the subwoofer and speaker wires disconnected). If the amplifier comes on and does not blow any fuses, then isolate the bad wiring or speaker on the speaker side of the amplifier. Hope this helps. Let me know. Chad.