PDA

View Full Version : Can you double lug a wheel?

beefcake
09-08-2011, 04:12 PM
For those that aren't familiar with Race Stars. They use an oval washer.

Sometimes, the lug will dig into a washer, because the washer does not spin.

When removing, this can cause the washer to stick to the lug, and then bind as it wants to spin but cannot.

Especially with having longer studs on the car, there is some room on the stud. What about running a round washer in between the oval washer and the lug?

I can't see where this should do anything but make the lugs on / off much easier.

I have never seen a double washer on a wheel though and was wondering if there would be any unforseen issues.

This would allow the a "buffer" between the oval and lug.

mustangjon
09-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the oval gets indexed properly when tightened and doesn't slip and assuming you have proper thread engagement

Bman
09-08-2011, 04:29 PM
I used a small washer made from .015 hard shim stock. I may have a few laying around I'll check if your interested.

Mbubby61
09-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I have not seen them, but if yer only talking .015 shim,,, I wonder if you could just put a small chamfer on the lug nuts so they would not bite into the washer

MFIELD
09-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Why not call your wheel manufacture?

plated
09-08-2011, 09:55 PM
jus buy new wheels and give me those

RIXXX93GT
09-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Spread a little anti seize on between the lug and washer.

beefcake
09-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Why not call your wheel manufacture?

I did, and they said like most, they have never tried that.

I just didn't know how a second washer would affect wheels, with the rotational speed and such.

I've double washered many times on home projects, or for spacing needs, etc.. Since i'm dealing with a car going 140mph, figured i'd get some input.

Spread a little anti seize on between the lug and washer.

Someone else suggested grease on the threads and inbetween the lug and washer as well. Never thought about that.

jus buy new wheels and give me those

NO! lol :)

plated
09-09-2011, 12:10 PM
what i did i used a porting bit opened the washer up a lil,you could do it at your desk with a rat tail file might take a while

bestracing
09-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Only thing I wouuld be worried about is the lug backing off since adding a second washer does reduce the friction. The added material will add to the expansion and contraction rate over heat. So because of the expansion/contraction issue I'd say the thinner the better for this. I'd go with what was posted above, 0.015" shim, and check the lugs on a consistant bassis. If you get no movement then extend the check period interval.

Also lug length is important. You don't want to get the lug shoulder too short which will allow the wheel stud to flex and eventually break. You want the lug length to be just above the hub surface after the lug has been tighten. This gives the wheel stud more support and helps them last longer.

I believe Mark Williams has a good alternative for wheel studs--> http://markwilliams.com/detail.aspx?ID=1745

beefcake
09-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Only thing I wouuld be worried about is the lug backing off since adding a second washer does reduce the friction. The added material will add to the expansion and contraction rate over heat. So because of the expansion/contraction issue I'd say the thinner the better for this. I'd go with what was posted above, 0.015" shim, and check the lugs on a consistant bassis. If you get no movement then extend the check period interval.

Also lug length is important. You don't want to get the lug shoulder too short which will allow the wheel stud to flex and eventually break. You want the lug length to be just above the hub surface after the lug has been tighten. This gives the wheel stud more support and helps them last longer.

I believe Mark Williams has a good alternative for wheel studs--> http://markwilliams.com/detail.aspx?ID=1745

i constantly check them. i keep a torque wrench in the car.

Bman
09-12-2011, 05:16 PM
I don't have any left. But I can get some more cut if you want to try them.