PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a Ford Tech or very familiar with the Ford 6.0 diesel?

5.0calypso93lx
09-19-2011, 04:34 PM
A buddy of mine just picked up an 05' F250 6.0 with 90k miles. It's a super nice truck and he'd like to have the engine itself checked out for any ECT / EGR Cooler / Oil Cooler / Head gasket issues and possibly even have the coolant flushed to get rid of the coolant that causes all the 6.0 issues.

Is anyone on here a Ford Tech or have the diagnostic devices needed to make sure everything is within spec?

He'd really like to find a guy who either works or worked at Ford who can maintain the truck overtime as he'd like to hang on to this one.

Let me know, thanks!

89notch
09-19-2011, 05:19 PM
It's not the coolant that causes the problems. It's the casting sand in the block that causes the egr to clog. The first thing he should do is an egr delete. The egr will causes the majority of the problems with the 6.0. I have autoenginuity diagnostic that will do more than any other scan tool available. Also the injectors are fed by the high pressure oil
system so keep up with the oil changes. Also tell him to do some research on this "snake oil" called rev x. It corrected some injector problems I was having with my truck.

89notch
09-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Also they say you should run a coolant filter to fix that sand issue.

bangingears
09-19-2011, 06:44 PM
It's not the coolant that causes the problems. It's the casting sand in the block that causes the egr to clog. The first thing he should do is an egr delete. The egr will causes the majority of the problems with the 6.0. I have autoenginuity diagnostic that will do more than any other scan tool available. Also the injectors are fed by the high pressure oil
system so keep up with the oil changes. Also tell him to do some research on this "snake oil" called rev x. It corrected some injector problems I was having with my truck.

no shit, i was always under the impression the silicates in the coolant ate the cooler. Thats why most of the guys were putting the CAT silicate free coolant in them.

89notch
09-19-2011, 06:57 PM
no shit, i was always under the impression the silicates in the coolant ate the cooler. Thats why most of the guys were putting the CAT silicate free coolant in them.

It will also clog the oil cooler up.

89notch
09-19-2011, 07:00 PM

I've never heard of the silicate free coolant issue but that sounds like it could be another problem.

Just get rid of that EGR ASAP.

5.0calypso93lx
09-19-2011, 07:23 PM

According to powerstroke.org, this is the core issue of all the EGR cooler failures, which then lead to a bunch of other problems.

Those EGR delete kits are not cheap, so would like to get the truck checked out to see if there are any current issues.

89notch
09-19-2011, 07:37 PM
According to powerstroke.org, this is the core issue of all the EGR cooler failures, which then lead to a bunch of other problems.

Those EGR delete kits are not cheap, so would like to get the truck checked out to see if there are any current issues.

I could scan it for him with the autoenginuity it will give you temps to tell oil cooler performance and injector performance.

I had Bo(347SC) do my EGR delete for me. I think he has done 3-4 of them now.

5.0calypso93lx
09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys, have a contact in mind thanks to a member on here!

fastone
09-20-2011, 07:41 AM
I could scan it for him with the autoenginuity it will give you temps to tell oil cooler performance and injector performance.

I had Bo(347SC) do my EGR delete for me. I think he has done 3-4 of them now.

Kelly, I don't know what all you can do with the autoenginuity, but if you need help with your powerstroke I have the guy, or for anyone else on here. Though he is in KY he works full time for Fuller Ford, he buys EGR delete kits 10 at a time. He works on about 2-5 trucks a week on the side in the evenings. Will save you a boat load of money! If anyone needs his number, PM and I will get it to you. He has actually had my truck sitting at idle with the turbo at 120% boost output. It sounded like I was standing behind a jet engine. He has all the Ford programming/trouble shooting computer software on his laptop.