PDA

View Full Version : Health insurance question

05yellowgt
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
With issue 2 as hot a topic as any in Ohio right now I wanted to see if anyone wanted to share their health insurance experiences. I don't want this to be a Vote yes or No thread, but rather I'm trying to do my own research to make up my mind which way I personally want to vote.

What I'm curious about is the Following:

Do you work for a private company or for some form of government employment?

How much of your premiums percentage wise do you pay?

What are your deductible and out of pocket expenses?

You of course don't have to disclose the actual numbers if you don't want to but here are mine.

I work for a private company.

I pay 20% of my own insurance premium and 80% of my dependents premiums. This comes out to $251.02 per paycheck, or $6,526.

I am on an HSA plan. My deductibles are $3000/person with a family limit of $6000 for in network coverage. After we reach our deductible we still pay for prescriptions till we reach a total out of pocket of $8,000 a year. My wife will reach her deductible every year and my twins are likely to as well being premature. I put the maximum allowed amount into my HSA to cover the deductible and that comes out to be $236.53 per paycheck, or another $6,150 per year.

That puts my total out of pocket per year at our current agreement at $12,676/year plus prescription costs for health coverage.

If I had chosen our non-HSA plan my monthly premiums would have been nearly doubled! plus having to meet a deductible of $3000 a year, plus pay co-pays for doctors visits and prescription costs after meeting the deductible limit.

Goober
10-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I prefer to NOT talk about my benefits package at this current time, because I'll be sterotyped as a "Lazy Union F*ck" by people who have never done an ounce of heavy fabrication or welded to a ballistic standard in their lives.

05yellowgt
10-12-2011, 02:03 PM
I prefer to NOT talk about my benefits package at this current time, because I'll be sterotyped as a "Lazy Union F*ck" by people who have never done an ounce of heavy fabrication or welded to a ballistic standard in their lives.
I didn't ask to state whether you were union or not. I don't care about that for this. I only care if you are a government or private employee. Fair enough though, I don't want you to feel if you are being attacked. I was raised in a Union Family myself. Dad was an IUE member at the Truck plant in Moraine for over 40 years before GM closed the plant.

cstreu1026
10-12-2011, 02:10 PM
I work for a private company and my wife is Federal employee. We use to take single person policies through our employers because the costs were slightly lower that way but it became increasingly complicated so I went on my wife's policy. It was a few dollars more a month but it was much easier to manage. We pay about 33% our our health insurance premiums but we have probably 10 different plans to choose from including one or more similar to yours John as well as some that are much more expensive but cover more.

Goober
10-12-2011, 02:13 PM
I didn't ask to state whether you were union or not. I don't care about that for this. I only care if you are a government or private employee. Fair enough though, I don't want you to feel if you are being attacked. I was raised in a Union Family myself. Dad was an IUE member at the Truck plant in Moraine for over 40 years before GM closed the plant.

Fair enough. I'll just say that it's good, I realize that it's good, and i don't go to the doctor for every sniffle so I don't come close to hitting the deductable. With your dad being IUE, you have an idea of what the co-pays and deductables are.

Pitbull1052
10-12-2011, 02:57 PM
I work for a private company with 100% company paid monthly premiums (first time in my life ever!) with 1,000 personal max I don't know how much the family plan is..... and that's a typical Anthem plan

cstreu1026
10-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Damn I thought we had it pretty good but after hearing what you pay or rather don't pay I am slightly jealous.

Mista Bone
10-12-2011, 03:14 PM
What insurance?????

Markcore
10-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Government, and monthly I pay:
Dental - $59.26
Vision - $25.66
Medical - $245.06

Yearly total - $3,959.76

No office visit charges for well check ups, $25 for sick visits.

$150 copay for any surgical care.

$150 copay per day of inpatient, up to $750 for admission for unlimited days

$150 admission charge for any inpatient hospital care
Zero pre-natal and post-natal care and delivery.

$25 copay for outpatient

I think the rest is 20/80 for my family and I.

When I was in the Army...

ZERO!! Not one penny for an xray to a Motrin. :rockon:

89notch
10-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Issue 2 really isn't about health care. Issue 2 is simply put busting union and associating insurance and penions as a way to pass the reform. 95% of public workers already pay 15% of their premium and 10% of their retirement. Just so you know the employer doesn't pay the other 90%. Employer pension contributions are 14%. Also public employee are not eligible for social security so the employer doesn't have to pay that 7%. Pension pick-up for the 5% of employees that have it is a benefit to the city. Employers would negotiate pension pick up in lieu of raises because it would save them money by keeping the hourly rate lower for overtime issues. So essentially they gave them a 10% raise over the life of the contract vs a 10% salary raise. If issue 2 passes it will actually hurt the employer who negotiated pension pickup in lieu of a raise. This is why some local governents are standing up against issue 2 because it's an non funded mandate. I know every fire chief I have talked to is opposed to Issue 2 and refer to it as the state trying to tell local government how to run. Issue 2 essentially eliminates collective bargining with one sentence in the entire bill. That sentence states if the union and employer can't come to an agreement then the city can implement it's last and final offer. That sentence will make it a waste of time to negotiate when in the end you get what the employer says. This is not good for police and fire at all. It essentially will allow them to do away with mandated safety items that will put peoples safety at risk.

Prior to 1983 before collective bargaining there were "illegal" public employee strikes in Cincinnati over safety issue. The city refused to purchase bullet proof vests for the officer after repeated attempts by the employees. This lead to the death of 4 officers and after the 4th every CPD officer drove to the city building locked their keys in the car and refused to return to work for 24hrs. This is what lead to collective bargaining in the private sector.

If issue 2 passes you will have places like Cincinnati that will cut public safety to fund things like the street car project.

Sorry for the rant but I feel wry strong about this as it could decide wether I live or die.

Now onto the insurance

Our insurance premiums are 16% with a "high deductible"
For a single I pay around 70/month now with a 2000 medical deductible and a 1000 prescription deductible. After I reach those I then have prescription co pays of 30/85/150 depending on the medication. This is for about 100 city employees where I work.

A family plan is more than double that in the city I work.

If you have anymore questions I would be glad to answer them. Sorry if any of this is hard to read I'm posting from my iPhone.

Timido
10-12-2011, 05:11 PM
The %10. 89 notch is talking about for the pension is %10 of the persons pay. In the private secotor you pay social security in the public sector you have to pay your percentage. Issue 2 is an attack on the middle class. Please vote no on issue #2 the fire fighters police, teachers and public employees all thank you

05yellowgt
10-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Thank you for the input Kelly. A couple of questions for you. Not trying to support one view or the other, just trying to get an understanding in my own mind. You'll see my questions in bold.

Issue 2 really isn't about health care. Issue 2 is simply put busting union and associating insurance and penions as a way to pass the reform. 95% of public workers already pay 15% of their premium and 10% of their retirement. Just so you know the employer doesn't pay the other 90%.Where does the other 90% come from? Employer pension contributions are 14%. Also public employee are not eligible for social security so the employer doesn't have to pay that 7%. Pension pick-up for the 5% of employees that have it is a benefit to the city. Employers would negotiate pension pick up in lieu of raises because it would save them money by keeping the hourly rate lower for overtime issues. So essentially they gave them a 10% raise over the life of the contract vs a 10% salary raise. If issue 2 passes it will actually hurt the employer who negotiated pension pickup in lieu of a raise. This is why some local governents are standing up against issue 2 because it's an non funded mandate. I know every fire chief I have talked to is opposed to Issue 2 and refer to it as the state trying to tell local government how to run.Are there any non-union fire fighters, or non-union stations in Ohio? If there are, any idea how they operate? Issue 2 essentially eliminates collective bargining with one sentence in the entire bill.I was under the impression that fire fighters and police were already exempt from striking under Oho law. They have collective bargaining rights, but cannot strike That sentence states if the union and employer can't come to an agreement then the city can implement it's last and final offer. That sentence will make it a waste of time to negotiate when in the end you get what the employer says. This is not good for police and fire at all. It essentially will allow them to do away with mandated safety items that will put peoples safety at risk.

Prior to 1983 before collective bargaining there were "illegal" public employee strikes in Cincinnati over safety issue. The city refused to purchase bullet proof vests for the officer after repeated attempts by the employees. This lead to the death of 4 officers and after the 4th every CPD officer drove to the city building locked their keys in the car and refused to return to work for 24hrs. This is what lead to collective bargaining in the private sector.

If issue 2 passes you will have places like Cincinnati that will cut public safety to fund things like the street car project.Has this been documented some where that it will happen or is the thinking that since it happened in the past it will happen again?

Sorry for the rant but I feel wry strong about this as it could decide wether I live or die.If issue 2 does pass and some critical piece of safety equipment is not bought, does your contract with your employer prevent you from going to work for another fire station/precinct/what have you that provides the saftey equipment?

Now onto the insurance

For a single I pay around 70/month now with a 2000 medical deductible and a 1000 prescription deductible. After I reach those I then have prescription co pays of 30/85/150 depending on the medication. This is for about 100 city employees where I work.

If you have anymore questions I would be glad to answer them. Sorry if any of this is hard to read I'm posting from my iPhone.

Again I really appreciate the time to answer my questions.

Goober
10-12-2011, 11:59 PM

I'll answer the ones that I know.

Are there any non-union fire fighters, or non-union stations in Ohio? If there are, any idea how they operate?

Yes, they are called voulnteer. You might get an answer, or your house might burn down because other commitments keep them from going to the station whenever tones drop.

I was under the impression that fire fighters and police were already exempt from striking under Oho law. They have collective bargaining rights, but cannot strike

Depending on how the contract reads, you could have assumed wrong. The National Labor Relations Act upholds the right to strike as part of collective barganing unless the unexpired (current and valid) contract with the employer has a "No Strike/No Lockout" clause (IE: contract expires with employer, no tentative agreement is made and the employer is not barganing in good faith, strike can happen. Also, if the employer locks out employees while a contract is valid and the union has not breeched the No Strike clause prior to the lockout).

smytty
10-13-2011, 12:35 AM
My work is pretty bad, thank god my wifes coverage is good..

For a Family just Medical its 380 a month with a 12k deductible.. It is a Hsa and they give 2 payments of 1500 so that knocks the deductible down to 9k.

I think Dental and Vision is another 80 or so a month....

cstreu1026
10-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Yes, they are called voulnteer. You might get an answer, or your house might burn down because other commitments keep them from going to the station whenever tones drop.

I'm sorry but I have a serious issue with that statement. I have lived in a town with a 100% volunteer force and the two time I have had to call for assistance they not only showed up but they showed up quickley. I also work with several volunteer fire fighters, EMT's, and Paramedics and I know they take their service very seriously. I know of at least one who has taken time off from his paid full time job because of being on a call.

Pitbull1052
10-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Damn I thought we had it pretty good but after hearing what you pay or rather don't pay I am slightly jealous.

Yea I have it pretty good for once in my life hell i didnt even know companies paid 100% for your insurance anymore until I was recruited to where i'm at now.

beefcake
10-13-2011, 09:25 AM
$178 per check for family health / dental / vision

This comes to $9256 per year. $2000 per person deductibel, $4000 max family deductible. Basically I spend a minimum of $11256 per year before anything kicks in.

:(

89notch
10-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Thank you for the input Kelly. A couple of questions for you. Not trying to support one view or the other, just trying to get an understanding in my own mind. You'll see my questions in bold.

Issue 2 really isn't about health care. Issue 2 is simply put busting union and associating insurance and penions as a way to pass the reform. 95% of public workers already pay 15% of their premium and 10% of their retirement. Just so you know the employer doesn't pay the other 90%.Where does the other 90% come from? Employer pension contributions are 14%. Also public employee are not eligible for social security so the employer doesn't have to pay that 7%. Pension pick-up for the 5% of employees that have it is a benefit to the city. Employers would negotiate pension pick up in lieu of raises because it would save them money by keeping the hourly rate lower for overtime issues. So essentially they gave them a 10% raise over the life of the contract vs a 10% salary raise. If issue 2 passes it will actually hurt the employer who negotiated pension pickup in lieu of a raise. This is why some local governents are standing up against issue 2 because it's an non funded mandate. I know every fire chief I have talked to is opposed to Issue 2 and refer to it as the state trying to tell local government how to run.Are there any non-union fire fighters, or non-union stations in Ohio? If there are, any idea how they operate? Issue 2 essentially eliminates collective bargining with one sentence in the entire bill.I was under the impression that fire fighters and police were already exempt from striking under Oho law. They have collective bargaining rights, but cannot strike That sentence states if the union and employer can't come to an agreement then the city can implement it's last and final offer. That sentence will make it a waste of time to negotiate when in the end you get what the employer says. This is not good for police and fire at all. It essentially will allow them to do away with mandated safety items that will put peoples safety at risk.

If issue 2 passes you will have places like Cincinnati that will cut public safety to fund things like the street car project.Has this been documented some where that it will happen or is the thinking that since it happened in the past it will happen again?

Sorry for the rant but I feel wry strong about this as it could decide wether I live or die.If issue 2 does pass and some critical piece of safety equipment is not bought, does your contract with your employer prevent you from going to work for another fire station/precinct/what have you that provides the saftey equipment?

Now onto the insurance

Where does the other 90% come from?

This is where Better Ohio is trying to confuse voters to make them think the employer pays the other 90%. Police and fire requires 24% annual contribution to the pension system. 14% required by the employer and 10% employee. So I actually pay 40% of my pension and the Employer pays 60%. The employer contribution is decided on by the retirement board and doesn't need Issue 2 to make changes to it. It has already been talked about this year to increase my contribution to 12%/year or 50% and lower the employer to 12% or 50%. They only put that language in there to make the bill seem more appealing to people.

Are there any non-union fire fighters, or non-union stations in Ohio? If there are, any idea how they operate?
There are some non-union departments out there. The way I understand it is 50% of them the Employer has always treated them fair and they haven't had the need to organize. The other 50% of non-union shop is because they aren't permitted to organize for one of a few reasons.

1. It you work for a village you're unable to organize.

2. Bargaining unit is not large enough.

Just a thought because they have been trying to reduce police and fire in Cincinnati for the last year while still moving forward with the street car.

No it doesn't prevent me from leaving at all. I know that it is a constant battle even with our current bargaining law to keep safety items in place. The average City Manager just doesn't understand what it take to do our job. Since they don't understand they just make decisions based on what he/she would rather spend tax dollars on.

I was under the impression that fire fighters and police were already exempt from striking under Oho law. They have collective bargaining rights, but cannot strike

That's correct. Right now if the employer and the employee meet impasse the State issues a list of 3rd party neutral arbitrators. The list contains 5 names of 5 separate arbitrators. The Union and City each get to Strike 2 names from the list and the last remaining will hear your case. He takes the evidence presented and make a decision based on all testimony and settles the dispute.

89notch
10-13-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm sorry but I have a serious issue with that statement. I have lived in a town with a 100% volunteer force and the two time I have had to call for assistance they not only showed up but they showed up quickley. I also work with several volunteer fire fighters, EMT's, and Paramedics and I know they take their service very seriously. I know of at least one who has taken time off from his paid full time job because of being on a call.

I agree I wont bash volunteers for what they do. However most departments are going away from volunteers for a couple of reasons.

1. Training requirements to maintain certification

2. Training requirements to obtain certification is much now.

3. Unable to get volunteers or Paid by call. Lets face it people today are working longer hours and 2 jobs to get by and don't have the time.

4. Level of service. Every study shows that with a paid staffed department your level of service increases. Its not because of anything the volunteers do its just fact. If the station is staffed they get there 4-6 minutes faster on average. Nothing the volunteers can do to correct this because if they could they would. Paid staff usually have a higher level of training. Mostly because they get paid to do it.

MrsAPE
10-13-2011, 11:43 AM
With issue 2 as hot a topic as any in Ohio right now I wanted to see if anyone wanted to share their health insurance experiences. I don't want this to be a Vote yes or No thread, but rather I'm trying to do my own research to make up my mind which way I personally want to vote.

I really hope your mind isn't made up based on this only. There is so much more to it than who pays what on retirement & insurance.

cstreu1026
10-13-2011, 11:50 AM
maybe I am missing it but it seems to be that teachers and fire fighters are by far the most vocal on this and other issues but I rarely hear anything from police officers. Am I imagining it or are the police just a lot quieter?

Goober
10-13-2011, 12:59 PM

I've lived in volunteer districts most of my life. The one time we needed the FD for a barn fire it took over 40 minutes from the initial call to first truck on scene and we lived less than 5 minutes from the station.

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT bashing those guys. They're a lot braver than I am and risk their lives for glory, commitment and chicken scratch. Its just sometimes the circumstances are stacked against them vs. a fully staffed station.

89notch
10-13-2011, 02:31 PM
maybe I am missing it but it seems to be that teachers and fire fighters are by far the most vocal on this and other issues but I rarely hear anything from police officers. Am I imagining it or are the police just a lot quieter?

The police are not as vocal due to the fact most people dont like cops :lol: All kidding aside that is kind of why they stay out of these things. Most of the peoples only interactions with police are bad interactions.

RIXXX93GT
10-13-2011, 03:36 PM
When I started at my current employer I didnt pay a dime and never saw a bill/memo/statement anything.
Now I pay 325.00/mo for Med Mutual, Delta Dental, and vision. Basically dental and vision pay for exams/cleanings anything else than grab your ankles. The medical costs me 25.00 everytime I say hello to the lovely receptionist (who hands me 4 pages of worksheets and demands my card and co-pay before she utters a word). Then if I make the mistake of asking the doctor a question or describe a symptom I get banged with an "extended visit" which costs more. The statements pour in like rain with page after page of nonsense and codes I have no time or inclination to read. Im glad I have insurance but sure wish it wasnt so damn confusing.

jktruckin06
10-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Im glad I have insurance but sure wish it wasnt so damn confusing.

That's the truth. I hate getting mail that says I owe money, but it's not a bill:lol: