PDA

View Full Version : What you get when you combine, high compression, big cam, and 14# of boost?

KYGTP
10-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Carnage..................

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/seanspic/SANY1663.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/seanspic/SANY1666.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/seanspic/SANY1667.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/seanspic/SANY1656.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/seanspic/SANY1661.jpg

Out of all of that, I only found this peice, and that was because it still on the block but was barely hanging there. The perfectly round hole in this peice of where the dip stick was supposed to be.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/seanspic/SANY1668.jpg

I told Mike, that works the end of the track, that there were parts all over the track, but he never did find any. I sure did feel them hitting the bottom of the car as I was going to the back half of the track. What a noise......

What I could not get a pic of was a hole that is in the back of the motor too. It shot out and took out a KR sensor and the peice hit the Trans case. I just hope that the trans case did not get crack from the inpack of the block peice. Also, I am sure my Alum Heads, that they do not make any more, are screwed. Part of it I guess....Once I get the motor torn apart, I will get up more pics.

I am not even going to tear into till the end of Nov. I got too many things going on.

So I guess I will see you guys in the spring, I am finished for this year. And to think, I was first on the other dozen list almost all year, and I screwed myself by doing this. Oh, no biggy, its all in fun.

sean
10-22-2011, 10:47 PM
not the same but once a year I grenade the motor on a riding mower. I blew a chunk like that out of a mower last season. You should have heard the sould it made when the neighbor ran over it with his john deer... lol

Thats nasty man

evil8
10-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Luckily the knock sensor is ok.

redfirepearlgt
10-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Sorry about your luck Sean. That's a hole.

satan jamez
10-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Some JB Weld and you're back on the street I think.

adragon72
10-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Man I really hate this for you!!!!

bronzeLX
10-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Yea, its sucks, hate it for ya. You put alot of effort and $ in that GP recently. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

aperacer
10-23-2011, 12:55 PM
just an FYI those coolant pellets wont fix that leak. sorry to see this happen. but this just equates to bigger better stronger.

Black Horse
10-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Wow, when you do it , you really do it right! Maybe some gorrilla glue?

Brandon Alsept
10-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Sucks to hear. The heads even if they look bad can be fixed, your lucky to have a shop like BES that can fix some very messed up heads.

mad max
10-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Man that sucks bad . Do you think it was trying to tell you something when it didnt go back together smoothly ? Im sure you will bring it back better than ever.

KYGTP
10-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Luckily the knock sensor is ok.

You know, the log of that run, everything looked good, and then you see 1* of KR, then 2*, and then you see my TPS go from 100% to 0%, then the KR goes all the to 7*, after that it read 0. I think at that point, boths plugs were sheared by the flying peices.

Sorry about your luck Sean. That's a hole.

Yes it is.

Man I really hate this for you!!!!

You didn't see shi*, did you?...............:lol:

Yea, its sucks, hate it for ya. You put alot of effort and $ in that GP recently. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Thanks, and yes I have put a ton of time and effort into it. This current setup was not too bad. It was only about $1100, that is the motor from a junkyard, the new cam, and two sets of head gaskets.

just an FYI those coolant pellets wont fix that leak.

I :lol: for a while at that one

but this just equates to bigger better stronger.

Yes, yes it does. I just need to figure out to do next. I got some work to do this winter.

Sucks to hear. The heads even if they look bad can be fixed, your lucky to have a shop like BES that can fix some very messed up heads.

Who is BES? I pulled the spark plugs tonight and #3 was the one that let go and the plug was super messed. So I know that the head is mess. But what ever I have done, I need to get both of them fixed at the same time to make sure they are all same. I will get up with you later on this;)

Man that sucks bad . Do you think it was trying to tell you something when it didnt go back together smoothly ? Im sure you will bring it back better than ever.

I should have know better, you're right on that!!!

Its funny, after this happended I call my wife, and the first thing she says to me is "Did you blow it up?" Not Hello, or hows it going, but "Did you blow it up" And I was like "Yeap, sure did" She was like, I knew it was going to happen and then laughs at me the rest of the time I was on the phone with her.

God I love her, she is the BEST to put up with me and the time I put in this stupid FWD car. At least now, I can spend plenty of time in the house, since the car is down and I have all winter to mess with it.

beefcake
10-23-2011, 08:03 PM
b.e.s. Bischoffs

they did my shortblock

Brandon Alsept
10-23-2011, 08:46 PM
As Terry said it is Bischoff Engine Services. Hands down the best in the business, they can build anything and put anyone willing to work to the front of the pack. Call me when your ready to talk to them.

facemelter71
10-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Ever thought about a turbo? I had just read a thread on CSS about a guy picking up a turbo GTP.

KYGTP
10-24-2011, 07:44 AM
b.e.s. Bischoffs

they did my shortblock

Got ya, thanks

As Terry said it is Bischoff Engine Services. Hands down the best in the business, they can build anything and put anyone willing to work to the front of the pack. Call me when your ready to talk to them.

I will. I don't plan on pulling it apart for a while, but I do know that I will need some work done seeing how bad #3 plug looked. I will keep you updated.

Ever thought about a turbo? I had just read a thread on CSS about a guy picking up a turbo GTP.

Yes I have, but seeing that I just got a new S/C cam designed, I would like to see what I can get out of it, but if the cam is damaged, then I will consider going that route.

bestracing
10-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Also, I am sure my Alum Heads, that they do not make any more, are screwed. Part of it I guess....Once I get the motor torn apart, I will get up more pics.

I know Bischoff Engine Service can do a hell of a job with repairing aluminum heads. They fixed a set of LSx heads for a friend that were damaged and had a leak in them.

They are right off I-74, St. Leon exit in Indiana.

KYGTP
02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Well, back from the dead, it has been a long time since all of this happened, but progress is coming along.

BES has had my orginal motor for the past couple of months along with both sets of my head, the alum heads that had the damage to them and my cast heads as well.

My orginal motor that I made my 11.56 pass on got a refresh, all new bearings, and we bored the block .025 over:eek: But we are having custom pistons made up to give me a final compression ratio of 9.5:1.

I know being boosted that is a little high, BUT I will now be able to go to a bigger pulley, which in turn will have less load on the motor and cooler outlet temps. If the motor likes it, I can always go to a smaller pulley. Come on low 11's!!!!

They got my Alum heads cleaned up, and ordered new all new valves. Both the intake and exhaust valve were bent where all the carnage took place, which I can understand.

I get a call from Brian the other day from BES and he tells me they are putting my head together and ran into a problem and for me to call him.

Well, if any of you remember when I first did this swap, I was having a leaking head stud, well guess what, the Alum head had small cracks in them:eek: That is why I though it was the stud, it was not, it was the head. SO, they are going to grind out the cracks, reweld them, and pressure test them, until all the leaks are fixed.

I am SO glad he found that, I would have been so pissed if I would have put the motor back together and in the car, only to find that same head leaking.

Once I get all the parts back, I will start a new post with all my new parts.

So here I am, dumping more money into a car that has the drive wheel in the wrong place and the motor is worth more than the car itself.:rolleyes:

Why do I do this.......................

beefcake
02-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Well, back from the dead, it has been a long time since all of this happened, but progress is coming along.

BES has had my orginal motor for the past couple of months along with both sets of my head, the alum heads that had the damage to them and my cast heads as well.

My orginal motor that I made my 11.56 pass on got a refresh, all new bearings, and we bored the block .025 over:eek: But we are having custom pistons made up to give me a final compression ratio of 9.5:1.

I know being boosted that is a little high, BUT I will now be able to go to a bigger pulley, which in turn will have less load on the motor and cooler outlet temps. If the motor likes it, I can always go to a smaller pulley. Come on low 11's!!!!

They got my Alum heads cleaned up, and ordered new all new valves. Both the intake and exhaust valve were bent where all the carnage took place, which I can understand.

I get a call from Brian the other day from BES and he tells me they are putting my head together and ran into a problem and for me to call him.

Well, if any of you remember when I first did this swap, I was having a leaking head stud, well guess what, the Alum head had small cracks in them:eek: That is why I though it was the stud, it was not, it was the head. SO, they are going to grind out the cracks, reweld them, and pressure test them, until all the leaks are fixed.

I am SO glad he found that, I would have been so pissed if I would have put the motor back together and in the car, only to find that same head leaking.

Once I get all the parts back, I will start a new post with all my new parts.

So here I am, dumping more money into a car that has the drive wheel in the wrong place and the motor is worth more than the car itself.:rolleyes:

Why do I do this.......................

once it's back on the 1/4 mile, you'll be grinning ear to ear

KYGTP
02-10-2012, 10:51 PM
once it's back on the 1/4 mile, you'll be grinning ear to ear

I hope so and I hope to get kick out for not having a cage:D I like to dream big.

adragon72
02-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Man I'm glad to hear your getting it back together!

firestang70
02-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Glad to hear you are making progress. Guess I need to step up my own game now.

Brandon Alsept
02-11-2012, 12:26 PM
very nice to hear. You will be very happy when they are done, they doing a new camshaft for you ? Also with race as and 9.5:1 you will be fine on boost ;-)

KYGTP
02-11-2012, 01:15 PM
very nice to hear. You will be very happy when they are done, they doing a new camshaft for you ? Also with race as and 9.5:1 you will be fine on boost ;-)

The cam I am going to use is coming from some where else. A friend of mine designed a cam for another guy, and he was running low 11s with it. That was the camthat I was running in the motor when it blew, but the rod pieces put some pretty good dingers in it, so I am getting another one made up.

Yeah, I will be running VP109, and at some point I am going to install my 85# injectors and switch over to E85, so I think you are right Brandon, 9.5:1 should like everything I through at it. The way I look at it, is if I am not seeing any KR, keep adding timing, and go with a smaller pulley on the SC. Baby steps though, I just want this motor to last more than 30 miles and 1.5 passes down the track:rolleyes:

uknowho1702
02-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Pretty crazy shit!! Glad you are making progress again..it seems like hell until the first time your strapped in behind that wheel again. Good luck

bestracing
02-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Getting Ross pistons for that build?

The guys my dad worked for use Ross pistons for their OLD race car builds (think 1920's Indy Cars). They do really good custom work and my friend has a set in his LS1-383 motor as well. BES ordered them to get the right compression ratio and bore diameter for his combo.