PDA

View Full Version : What kind of gas do you use?

Chunk94GT
10-25-2011, 02:49 AM
Like the title says I'm curious to know what kind of gas you use and why. I haul gas for a living and I get ask this question all the time and really get tired of it. I will start by saying I know where it all comes from you name the store or brand and I can tell ya where it came from and who delivered it so with that being said I have no real preference. Gauge shows Empty I fill up. I don't price chase I just fill up, and no I don't get free gas cause I haul it I still pay full price.

Josh

Mista Bone
10-25-2011, 03:00 AM
I now stay away from Speedway/Marathon gas. I've had rings stick on three different cars after sitting, enough that cars couldn't build compression to start.

Now it is Shell/BP/Thorton's/UDF Mobil. Although UDF is changing to their own "brand" of gas I'm willing to bet it will be Speedway/Marathon gas now.

I do price chase as I drive 250+ miles a day. I won't go out of my way though, I just use http://www.cincygasprices.com/index.aspx to find the cheapest gas along my route.

As long as the pump prices are around .60 a gallon above RBOB Harbor prices, nothing you can do.

For example, RBOB price is $2.69 a gallon delivered on NYSE. Factor in .50/gallon for taxes, then .10/gallon store profit...which gets ate up by debit/credit card fees. So if it is $3.29 at the pump, you have to roll with it.

But I did pay $3.139/gallon tonight. That .16/gallon might not seem much but at 10 gallons a day it works out to about $10 a week.

Chunk94GT
10-25-2011, 03:44 AM
I now stay away from Speedway/Marathon gas. I've had rings stick on three different cars after sitting, enough that cars couldn't build compression to start.

Now it is Shell/BP/Thorton's/UDF Mobil. Although UDF is changing to their own "brand" of gas I'm willing to bet it will be Speedway/Marathon gas now.

I do price chase as I drive 250+ miles a day. I won't go out of my way though, I just use http://www.cincygasprices.com/index.aspx to find the cheapest gas along my route.

As long as the pump prices are around .60 a gallon above RBOB Harbor prices, nothing you can do.

For example, RBOB price is $2.69 a gallon delivered on NYSE. Factor in .50/gallon for taxes, then .10/gallon store profit...which gets ate up by debit/credit card fees. So if it is $3.29 at the pump, you have to roll with it.

But I did pay $3.139/gallon tonight. That .16/gallon might not seem much but at 10 gallons a day it works out to about $10 a week.

Speedway gas is speedway gas. It is its own brand name. UDF can't get that gas, its the same gas that you get a Thortons. Also a marathon stations don't have the same gas that you get at a speedway either. I'm not a fan of speedway gas but use it if its there.

Dirtyd0g
10-25-2011, 04:19 AM
I won't go to thortons because I got a water load in loveland and proved it. The truck wouldn't run so I pumped a glass jar full and let it seperate to 2/3 water. I told thortons about it and they told me it was my fault a million different ways. I filled up from empty there and the problem started 5 min later. I have used UDF many times and don't have a problem but I am sure that isn't a supplier problem but a tank problem at the station. Or cheap bastages watering it down to make some extra cash. I prefer sunoco if I can go to a place that is busy so it is fresh, second I would say shell. BP is fine but I won't go to Owensville BP
Alan

Goldenpony
10-25-2011, 05:25 AM
I prefer Chevron, but there's none around here any more. I usually go with Shell, BP or Marathon. I don't do unbranded gas.

chris91
10-25-2011, 07:49 AM
I use Sunoco in the Mustang and use Kroger in the DD. Never had any problems with either. Wont use BP ever since a local tuner told me not to. Can't remember his reasoning but it always stuck with me. LOL

INSANEBA
10-25-2011, 08:06 AM
I try to stay away from Speedway fuel, but the damn coffee calls my name daily! I actually stop at this local "mom n pop" shop, they have 93. I only run sunoco in my bikes, and it always comes from the same station which is always busy. Except my last can of fuel, it came from one in Toledo on our way to Milan, MI. But that one was right off the highway, so I know it keeps busy.

cstreu1026
10-25-2011, 08:17 AM
I generally use only BP, not because I think its superior but because I get 5% cash back on my BP Visa. All gasoline comes out of the same pipe lines the only difference is the additives they put in before it goes to stations.

Jeff88coupe
10-25-2011, 08:27 AM
What ever is cheapest that I pass by when I need gas. Have never had a problem with getting a tank of bad gas from anywhere....usually UDF or marathon station that I stop at.

85_SS_302_Coupe
10-25-2011, 08:56 AM
I prefer Sunoco or Shell, but i don't really make an effort to seek those stations out when i need gas.

05yellowgt
10-25-2011, 08:59 AM
My cars currently get Kroger fuel whenever possible just because I used the points to cheaper gas. When I fill up the Mustang I get E85 from Kroger as well.

INSANEBA
10-25-2011, 11:00 AM
I wish we had E85 up here! Damn boondocks!

Stangman
10-25-2011, 11:30 AM
I usually go where it's cheapest, but brand plays a part in that too. Ive always had good luck w/ Shell/BP/UDF gas.

Marathon seems to be hit and miss, there arent many speedways on my route so hardly ever. All the Sunoco's in my area have turned in to 1st Stops. Ive had good luck w/ them but I dont know who their supplier is.

I do, however, refuse to get Kroger gas ever again. I got gas at Kroger gas station in Milford and my car wouldnt stay running afterwards. Ping'd like crazy. I put 93 in it too. It was in my '94 GT. I went to the drive thru at wendys afterwards and had to fire it back up 4 times until I could get it to run long enough to hold the throttle!

ffmueller81
10-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Sunoco in the mustang. Whatever the cheapest in the DD's.

I don't get BP, just for the simple fact that they paid Ford to recommend their fuel on their gascaps...

cstreu1026
10-25-2011, 11:48 AM

I don't live in the boondocks and still don't have it.

05yellowgt
10-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Sunoco in the mustang. Whatever the cheapest in the DD's.

I don't get BP, just for the simple fact that they paid Ford to recommend their fuel on their gascaps...
Whats wrong with a little cross platform advertising. Do you not drink coke because they paid a boat load of money to be the drink of Choice on American Idol?

2-8-1
10-25-2011, 12:11 PM
The cheapest within reasonable distance. I'm not going out of my way to buy gas. However, in any forced induction car that I have had, I run BP, Shell, or Chevron, as they handle 93 Octane whereas all of the "off brands" only have 91. May just be marketing, gives me peace of mind.

bestracing
10-25-2011, 12:14 PM
What ever is cheapest that I pass by when I need gas. Have never had a problem with getting a tank of bad gas from anywhere.

Same here and I usually get it from Thortons but the wife will fill the Tahoe up at Krogers when we build up enough points.

My Impala needs at least +90 octane due to the supercharger and the Truck gets 87.

mr_malina
10-25-2011, 12:22 PM
I usually run Shell/Marathon but the only gas I have noticed issues with was Speedway.

Mista Bone
10-25-2011, 04:15 PM
I don't live in the boondocks and still don't have it.

within 15 miles you have several options.....but nothing within 30 miles of Lima, LOL!

blown86lx
10-25-2011, 07:11 PM

Marion Meijer has it Brandon. I know its a ways from ya but when u go to MCIR you could get it

sean
10-25-2011, 07:15 PM
I go where ever I can that will let me pump the damn gas before I pay when I am using cash.

SJSlots
10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Most of the time it's UDF for me. I have one within a mile. We do use Speedway in the wife's Maxima SE but its mostly due to the gas savings with Biggs and not because I like driving another mile farther to get it.

thecollector
10-25-2011, 07:53 PM
(R+M)/2 if you look close this equation can be found on every gas pump.
It is an average of research method and motor method. Motor method is a a certain octane rating fuel gets from being ran on a test engine. Research method is a fuels octane rating assigned by a petroleum engineer off of the chemical make up. These numbers are averaged and the octane rating is achieved.
Certain companies fuels do better on paper than on the dyno and while still averaging high enough to achieve a premium designation you see the difference when you get in your mustang with 15 degrees of timing and run the tach to 5k.

From my experience bp while offering a higher total octane rating loses in apples to apples direct octane comparisons versus mobil and shell. Swifty as expected also seems to achieve lower real world results.

Though pipelines are shared the refinment process is not complete. With the epa controlling 6 different regions of north america for 4 different seasons and mandating varying levels of ethanol in all of them it is hardly a mere difference of additives @the the point of distribution.

All that being said, I buy gas where its cheapest:)

Gstang117
10-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Anywhere except Gas America, I swear that sh*ts watered down. Every car I've driven on their gas has felt like it lost power and the needle seems to drop faster. Right now I'm switchin up between Marathon Sunoco and Speedway. The Franklin Speedway ALWAYS seem to have the lowest price gas when I drive pass it.

redfirepearlgt
10-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Mobil or Shell -----unless the car is breathing on fumes...Then first namebrand with 93 octane. At worst 5.00 and then enough to get to a Shell or Mobil and then fill up.

svtmofo
10-25-2011, 08:38 PM
UDF or Kroger, it might come off racist, but its about the only places left that understand what kind of fuel you want to pump

blown96cobra
10-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Shell, sunoco and mobil. I'll never run Bp again maybe it's a local thing but I track my gas mileage religiously and I always get around 30-31mpg on shell 93 in my svt contour, if I use Bp for some magical reason I drop down to 23-24mpg, speedway I get 26-27, and sunoco 29-30. F@$k Bp there gas sucks unless your down south! There gas is so watered down I actually had to drain it out of my R1 and refil it with shell to get it to stop missing.

foxbody
10-26-2011, 11:41 AM
i try to buy diesel where its cheapest but usually end up at speedway due to convenience.. but get this, i changed out my fuel filters last week on my truck and the filter on the frame was loaded with sand. i mean loaded. i stuck my hand up there and the only thing missing was a beach towel and a corona.lol i was told that the oil spill oil that was sucked up with sand was all made into diesel.. anyone heard or seen this?

bestracing
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
i try to buy diesel where its cheapest but usually end up at speedway due to convenience.. but get this, i changed out my fuel filters last week on my truck and the filter on the frame was loaded with sand. i mean loaded. i stuck my hand up there and the only thing missing was a beach towel and a corona.lol i was told that the oil spill oil that was sucked up with sand was all made into diesel.. anyone heard or seen this?

Even if it was I would think the refining and filtering they do would have removed all of the sand. I'd say what you have is from either the station or someone else put it in there (vandals).

03z06vette
10-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Thortons diesel only.....with a qrt of ATF!!