PDA

View Full Version : any Jeep people? looking to buy and need some info

2007ShelbyCobra
11-01-2011, 11:44 PM
So heres the deal. Im currently driving an 2001 Ford Taurus and im wanting something different. I work at an oil change shop and know the 4.0 inline 6 in the Cherokees is badass and never seems to die. So...

Im trying to purchase a 90-2000 Jeep Cherokee, what do I need to watch out for? Are there any common problems or improvements from one year to the next? I dont want a Grand Cherokee. And im not looking to spend more than 3 grand, think I can get something without getting screwed for that price? Also, a lot of them have a lift and mudding tires on them, should I stay away? Id assume that means its been run to hell and back... Any input is appreciated.

thecollector
11-02-2011, 02:25 AM
XJ's are good trucks, the 4.0 is stout and reliable. That being said its still a 1 to 2 decade old chrysler. Make sure all the accessories work and that there are no noises in the driveline. They are bad for exhaust manifolds so keep an eye and ear out for that. Pay attention to rust everywhere. These are unibody wheelers but are still awesome off road. A set of diff locks should get you anywhere you want to go, a winch will get you out of the places you shouldn't have. You should be able to pick up a nice one in your budget, this is the wrong time of year to find a giveaway deal on one, but the used market on these is soft, parts are cheap and production of the trucks was high. Good luck, go ahead and get a gas Credit card reward program now :)

For a DD I would stear clear of any lift over 2". Get something stock that noone has filled the transfer case or diffs full of water on during a creek crossing. Like any motor the 4.0 if subjected to run time upside down or @ extreme angles can damage the rotating assembly. I did a swap last year on a 16k mile rubicon someone had rolled over and let run for a moment. 3 weeks later one piston grenaded, one had hairline cracks. Something mom dropped the kids off @ soccer practice in probably had a better life than the truck me and my buddies beat on.

Walter
11-02-2011, 04:42 AM
I agree with thecollector. Also, xj's were made till 2001.

orangeconv
11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
The only issue i have ever had w my xj's that i have owned were valvecover gaskets. And plated gave me some shit about a blow motor on that black one he has, it was wrecked and he did #uck me on a shit paintjob for it.

Gene
11-02-2011, 10:28 AM
You can't kill the 4.0. I had a customer who brought us one with 240k that needed a new timing chain...the oil was pretty burnt and crunchy in there. When we replaced the chain, it was still making a scary noise. We checked the oil level and it was low...we wound up adding 5.5 quarts to it. He had been driving it from Ft. Thomas to Dayton every day with about half a quart of oil in the sump. This was six months ago and he's still driving the Grand Cherokee every day.

If it's over 150k and hasn't had a waterpump, it's going to need one soon.

Is there a reason you don't want a ZJ (Grand)? As a daily driver-type vehicle they're way more comfortable on the road than an XJ and you're more likely to find one that hasn't been beat to death.

Walter
11-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Gene, ZJ's look like shit tho LOL. High mileage WJ's are cheap now also.

BIZLE
11-02-2011, 10:45 AM
front u joints and rearends, frame rust
if you buy a box style cherokee and you want a/c make sure it works
they are bad for a/c condensors under the dash leaking

Gene
11-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Gene, ZJ's look like shit tho LOL. High mileage WJ's are cheap now also.

I like the looks of them personally (I do prefer the WJ though), and considering how shitty the XJ is on the road, I would at least consider it just for the creature comforts.

plated
11-02-2011, 11:12 AM
The only issue i have ever had w my xj's that i have owned were valvecover gaskets. And plated gave me some shit about a blow motor on that black one he has, it was wrecked and he did #uck me on a shit paintjob for it.

ok first off the jeep i have u think is the one io got from you isn't the one i got from you,thers a ton of guys on here that can clarify that,2 diffrent yrs lol,second i got the jeep from you knowing it was wrecked i repaired all that,then to find out not a light on the jeep worked after paying 8no4cyl to rewire it becouse the wiring harness was cooked,then to fix all that and to find ouit had a blown headgasket i was ready to roll it over a hill,i sold it to a friend,he knew it ran hot he was expecting to put a new headgasket on it,finds out heads cracked no biggie put a head on it still runs hot,motor was pulled and sent to machine shop where it was magnafluxed and found the block was craked,by the way a member on here did all the work he knows the truth,i never thought you fucked me intentionaly,you got it however you didi,you knew nothing about it?,i put 500 in materials in your car and stripped 4 coats of paint off the top half of the car did all the bodywork all the groundeffects and bumpers needed replaced,i got a $700 jeep and had $350 in it and a paintjob for a wrecked and blown up 1997 cherokee with 160k on it out of that jeep couldn't drive it but ten miles from the house before it hit 260 boiled over and wouldn't start back up,it's still sitting in goshen with the motor out thats the other side of the storie:) THIS ISN'T THE ONE I GOT FROM YOU! AND FAR FROM IT http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75969

orangeconv
11-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Strange how you had it together and drove it for 9 months before my single stage expensive paint got thrown on.

plated
11-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Strange how you had it together and drove it for 9 months before my single stage expensive paint got thrown on.

i told you i could do the car in between jobs i couldn't make it a priority,it took a little longer than i expected not 9 months no,,i had the jeep for a month after i got it together not 9n months,it's single stage urethane with 60% clear as recomended by ppg (shopline) car looks damn good it's not a perfect ten id give it an 8.5 ,but it looks good,you know i brought up the thing about the motor to you and you only way back and you didn't believe me then,then you seen the one i have now an assumed it was the one i got from you and you felt screwed becouse you seen i was asking 5k for my jeep,didn't put you out on blast,like you did me a yr later,sorry it didn't work out but i'm a grown man and can get over alot of things..i thought you were a cool guy actually???

orangeconv
11-02-2011, 05:17 PM
I am. Just to many things you over looked on my paint job that got to me.

Gstang117
11-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Definitely go with an xj, good heat cheap and fun to mess around in. Unlike the wranglers which are over priced and the ZJ which looks like the accident child from a drunken one night stand >:I Watch out for rust underneath the bench seat and rockers. Those are some of the most typical places. I've got rust on Linda behind and besides the front seats. If you want to go lifted, its usually cheaper to buy the jeep already lifted and if it runs straight, you've probably saved a bit of headache from the death wobble. If you want to put bigger tires on it or haul sh*t around look for one with the dana 44 rear end. TRY TO AVOID THE CHRYSTLER 8.25 AT ALL COSTS. if you do get one dont go with tires bigger than 33's, they cant handle the extra stress. Many of the newer xj's come with the dana 35 front end which is good.

EDIT: Also I whole heartedly agree with Thecollectors gas card statement.

pegasus
11-02-2011, 10:03 PM
hey orange and plated can you guys do this over pms and not this guys thread thanks guys

2007ShelbyCobra
11-03-2011, 12:45 AM
thanks for the info. Im going to be really cautious, my current dd is reliable, and I CANNOT end up with a money pit or get a lemon. Ive already got a 4.6L money pit...lol

Moody
11-03-2011, 01:41 AM
My first real car was a 1993 grand cherokee 4.0 and paid 500 bucks for it in 07 and that thing lasted for ever it seen more air then a 747 went off road when ever possibly at high speed and 4 wheel drive 360s in the snow and J turns and was the first car I worked on. I crossed creeks pulled trailers ford rangers and did all the stupid stuff an invincible 17 year old would do it killed many walmart shopping carts and I would run over everything I could...... So don't knock the ugly one you can get them cheaper. And mine was all stock it finally died graduation day I had chunks of metal when I pulled the dip stick out so I sold it for 200 bucks. And she didn't do bad on gas. It lasted longer then my k5 blazer

JET50213
11-04-2011, 02:21 PM
I had a 2000 a few years back. I sold it to my brother, who sold it to his business partner. Mine ran a little hot sometimes (like many that I've seen) The AC did not work (like many), but is was rust free and very dependable. Mine always had a faint smell of coolant that I could never figure out. Good cars overall!

orangeconv
11-04-2011, 02:36 PM
i have had
1996 grandcherokee
1993 cherokee
1999 cherokee
1986 cj7
1982 cj7
1987 wrangler
2008 wrangler unlimited
out of all of them i would stay away from the grandcherokee

RIXXX93GT
11-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I just picked up a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0 ltr. for a winter work car.

2007ShelbyCobra
11-07-2011, 11:11 AM
I just picked up a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0 ltr. for a winter work car.

want to dump it after winter? :D

RIXXX93GT
11-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I doubt it , Im really liking it so far.