PDA

View Full Version : Any one know of any road courses?

USMCPONY
11-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Any corner carvers know of any legit tracks around the Cincy area? I'm not looking to race I just want go to a track day and take my car and have a good time. How much does it cost? What courses do you go to? Etc etc

jktruckin06
11-02-2011, 09:18 PM
get with the guys over at cincinnati sports car club. i know they used to do stuff at scarlet oaks in sharonville. you may be hard pressed finding someplace that lts you run without actually being racing????

CNTLOSE
11-02-2011, 09:21 PM
get with the guys over at cincinnati sports car club. i know they used to do stuff at scarlet oaks in sharonville. you may be hard pressed finding someplace that lts you run without actually being racing????

I think they are done for the season. October use to be the last month and it was just fun runs...at least back in the day.

USMCPONY
11-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Even if I have to travel to Columbus that's not to far for me. I'm not going to go to any tracks this season I'm just preparing for next season. I'm only interested in track day events. I'm not looking to compete in any races.

Mista Bone
11-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Mid Ohio, Putnam Park, Nelson Ledges, Beavrun.

http://www.100-speed.com/

USMCPONY
11-02-2011, 11:20 PM
$250 a day is allot imo. Are all of the tracks this much?

Mista Bone
11-03-2011, 05:33 AM
Yes.

Think about amount of track time and size of the track rental.

With the typical amount of runs (10) you'd make at a dragstrip, that is not even one lap on a road course. There is also the classroom instruction and your instructor to think about as well.

IIRC 80 minutes of track time (four 20 minute sessions) plus 2 classrooms is the norm.

Black Horse
11-03-2011, 12:39 PM
There are several groups that offer single day events. The season is all but over this year, I'll be glad to post up what I find next year!

If you are looking to do some Auto-Xing, the SCCA and NASA have groups that run in local area parking lots (coned course). You won't be going as fast as on a road course, but it is a very good way to learn the basics and how your car responds.

Pitbull1052
11-03-2011, 12:58 PM
There are several groups that offer single day events. The season is all but over this year, I'll be glad to post up what I find next year!

If you are looking to do some Auto-Xing, the SCCA and NASA have groups that run in local area parking lots (coned course). You won't be going as fast as on a road course, but it is a very good way to learn the basics and how your car responds.

Hey Black Horse...... quick question I know this may sound stupid but I've just never been to any of the "coned" events. Just watching them on tv it looks like it could be confusing compared to an actual road course. Is it that bad or just looks that bad on tv?

Mista Bone
11-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Depends on the course designer.

A "sea of cones" is more confusing. Two of the course designers for Cincy SCCA believe in minimal amount of cones.

Pitbull1052
11-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Depends on the course designer.

A "sea of cones" is more confusing. Two of the course designers for Cincy SCCA believe in minimal amount of cones.

gotchya, again i've only seen a few runs on tv but it always seems like there's a "sea of cones" and I'm watching thinking i'm not even driving the car and I can't tell which way to go......

Black Horse
11-03-2011, 07:55 PM
The Auto-X events always let you have a walk-thru before you ever fire your car up. As a newbie there is always someone around with experience that will walk you through it with them. Just be sure to swallow your pride and ask for help! Sometimes you can make a sketch of the course as you walk through it to study a bit later before you run. Make notes of landmarks or vision clues for turn-in points, etc. Hint: Using tire marks for turn points is never a good idea as someone will undoubtedly add a few more in the area you want to use before you get there!

The "sea of cones" sometimes is a blessing. When I used to actively do the Auto-X stuff, the courses with minimal cones were sometimes harder to negotiate than the many-cone courses. It gets confusing when you come out of a hard corner and can't quite figure out where to go next even after walking the course.

Another thing for newbies is to volunteer to run the later sessions and work the early sessions. Watching everyone else run will help give you thoughts of where the tough spots are.

Pitbull1052
11-04-2011, 07:51 AM
The Auto-X events always let you have a walk-thru before you ever fire your car up. As a newbie there is always someone around with experience that will walk you through it with them. Just be sure to swallow your pride and ask for help! Sometimes you can make a sketch of the course as you walk through it to study a bit later before you run. Make notes of landmarks or vision clues for turn-in points, etc. Hint: Using tire marks for turn points is never a good idea as someone will undoubtedly add a few more in the area you want to use before you get there!

The "sea of cones" sometimes is a blessing. When I used to actively do the Auto-X stuff, the courses with minimal cones were sometimes harder to negotiate than the many-cone courses. It gets confusing when you come out of a hard corner and can't quite figure out where to go next even after walking the course.

Another thing for newbies is to volunteer to run the later sessions and work the early sessions. Watching everyone else run will help give you thoughts of where the tough spots are.

That's some good stuff right there. I'm for sure going to run a few courses next year, I'd like to get mine out on an actual track but we'll see. Thanks BH

purpleskunk
11-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Kil kare in Xenia. Lots of fun!($40.00)
http://youtu.be/rPN28nSdA08

also check out G&J kartway they do a TT and drift contest once a year($100.00)
http://youtu.be/dDFuzltzX7U

Bluegrass Speedway
http://youtu.be/2FtwY8W2jhg

06V6Andrew
11-07-2011, 10:17 PM
yeah i think i am going to do the suspension on the v6 and take it down there..it likes turns as it is

purpleskunk
11-07-2011, 10:46 PM
yeah i think i am going to do the suspension on the v6 and take it down there..it likes turns as it is

Which track?

Mista Bone
11-08-2011, 12:20 AM
If going to a track you WILL need to upgrade your pads. Not to a full race pad but something that will take the heat better and well as fresh brake fluid.

As a rookie you won't be going "flat out" but you will be putting extra strain on parts.

Local SCCA events the Novice class runs second or third heat, the better drivers get to sweep the course by running first.

Which means we work (casing cones) when the newbs are on course....for my fat butt I needed the exercise.

I'll try to dig up some video from others for the two autox events I was at this year as Cincy Mall or WTF every the call Forest Fair Mall now.

06V6Andrew
11-08-2011, 05:40 PM
most likely kil-kare since it is the closest.
Which track?

do need some better breaks (haha..i mean brakes) and suspension..the S197 suspension on my v6 has been shot for abut 40000 miles.

Black Horse
11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
It looks like it is not too late to get your track fix for 2011. 10-10ths Motorsports ( http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com ) is having a day of open tracking at Putnam Park in Indiana on November 26th cost is $245 for the day.

I did a weekend with the 10-10ths bunch, a REAL class act in putting together fun and instructional events. From newbies to seasoned veterans of road racing, there is something for everyone. The offer one on one instruction in your own car. I can honestly say that my time with 10-10ths was excellent and I had more actual track time than I could imagine. Danny Popp is the lead instructor, by far one of the best road racers around!

Putnam Park is a great track to get your feet wet. Other than turn 11 there is about nothing to hit if you should go off track. Its challenging, fast but very safe.

If anyone needs more info, check out the 10-10ths website or give me a shout. I'll be more than glad to give you a few pointers to get you headied in the right direction.

By the way...I take no responsibility after your first hit on the track crack-pipe. Its a whole new world that challenges every fiber of a driver.

Mista Bone
11-09-2011, 03:35 AM
and their wallet, then their marriage.

purpleskunk
11-12-2011, 05:06 AM
It looks like it is not too late to get your track fix for 2011. 10-10ths Motorsports ( http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com ) is having a day of open tracking at Putnam Park in Indiana on November 26th cost is $245 for the day.

I did a weekend with the 10-10ths bunch, a REAL class act in putting together fun and instructional events. From newbies to seasoned veterans of road racing, there is something for everyone. The offer one on one instruction in your own car. I can honestly say that my time with 10-10ths was excellent and I had more actual track time than I could imagine. Danny Popp is the lead instructor, by far one of the best road racers around!

Putnam Park is a great track to get your feet wet. Other than turn 11 there is about nothing to hit if you should go off track. Its challenging, fast but very safe.

If anyone needs more info, check out the 10-10ths website or give me a shout. I'll be more than glad to give you a few pointers to get you headied in the right direction.

By the way...I take no responsibility after your first hit on the track crack-pipe. Its a whole new world that challenges every fiber of a driver.

That looks like a fun track. Wish I could make it. I got the LX all sealed up in the garage for the winter. Im ready to dump some money into chassis and suspension.Maximum Motorsports all the way. Even considering a fender flare project, need to find some fenders to work with first though.

gbrown8439
11-14-2011, 08:38 AM
That looks like a fun track. Wish I could make it. I got the LX all sealed up in the garage for the winter. Im ready to dump some money into chassis and suspension.Maximum Motorsports all the way. Even considering a fender flare project, need to find some fenders to work with first though.

I have these on my Fox. Decent quality but not cheap.

http://www.maierracing.com/

purpleskunk
11-15-2011, 02:04 AM
Nice Greg, how do the quarters install? Do you have pics of your fox?

gbrown8439
11-15-2011, 08:44 AM
I installed the rear quarters with dzus fasteners so they would be easy to remove or replace if needed. It's fine for a race car but wouldn't pass on the street. The front fenders bolt on just like factory.

This is an old picture but you get the idea.

Black Horse
11-15-2011, 09:04 AM
You might check out Tiger Racing - they have some pretty slick fender flares as well (albeit expensive): http://tiger-racing.com/tigerorg/for_sale.html

Why not just take a set of fenders and fab yourself up something?

purpleskunk
11-16-2011, 07:06 AM
I love that 80's paint job Greg, and the flares look good. Dave that is my original plan, get a set of fenders and fab up a 3" flare similar to the fox Capri. Once I get that down I will do the quarters.