PDA

View Full Version : Buying/Selling Handguns Laws ??

Katmandu
11-08-2011, 11:25 PM
My wife and I will be getting CCW permits in the near future.

What are the current State (OH) Laws governing buying/selling guns ?

Katmandu
11-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Just found this...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

How does one get Serial #s checked to see if a gun is Hot or Not ? :confused:

Whyucryn
11-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I think I'm gonna get my ccw very soon as well. Just gotta find a place to go thru. I'll be checking this thread out as well for information reguarding this.

Moody
11-09-2011, 12:19 AM
My dad does it at his house in Wilmington and we also have a ton of guns for sale. Shotguns rifles pistols we got it all.

ibstrokin
11-09-2011, 12:37 AM
I think I'm gonna get my ccw very soon as well. Just gotta find a place to go thru. I'll be checking this thread out as well for information reguarding this.

Roger @ Deadwood does ccw classes.

Moody
11-09-2011, 12:56 AM
+1 for Roger Harris at Deadwood. Great guy. Great store great people.

Kevin1989
11-09-2011, 01:07 AM
im getting ready to take mine through a local gun store that just opened down here in mason! Rob if your looking im getting a few people to take it with me, it makes it cheaper for us and easier on the instructor the more people

Whyucryn
11-09-2011, 01:17 AM
im getting ready to take mine through a local gun store that just opened down here in mason! Rob if your looking im getting a few people to take it with me, it makes it cheaper for us and easier on the instructor the more people

I'm definitely interested. I'd like to take mine ASAP. Ive been putting it off for way too long. As much stuff going on around here nowadays I think its a good thing to have. Kevin let me know when and how much and I'm there!!

jktruckin06
11-09-2011, 01:46 AM
On just the laws for buying/selling, in a nutshell, you can buy or sell any handgun to any Ohio resident over the age of 21. To make the transaction "legal" both parties should show each other their valid Ohio license. That is it. You yourself should keep good records kept incase anything comes back. The only half assed way to have the serial number checked is to have a place like target world do the sale for you and other party. They will take possession of the gun, and make the buyer go through the background check, which in turn associates the gun to the new owner and is a record of legal transfer if anything ever happens.

Chunk94GT
11-09-2011, 02:24 AM
As far as I know. Hand them the money, they hand you the gun, shake there hand and walk away. Nothing complicated about it, I know to be safe if I was selling I would have a piece of paper with make, model, cal of gun then the serial number, have both parties print and sign it just to be safe if anything happens with it you have proof the you sold it.

Mista Bone
11-09-2011, 03:33 AM
if sale is crossing state lines you must go through FFL dealer, federal law.

Most shops charge $25-30 to do the paperwork, piece of mind is priceless.

cstreu1026
11-09-2011, 10:00 AM
If you don't have an instructor in mind I would suggest Olde English Outfitters. I took the class there this summer and was very impressed with it. It was much much better than the class I took at Target World in 2004

Timido
11-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Its a good idea to show each other drivers license to prove they are Ohio residents and are of age.

2Kblacksleeper
11-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Mista, that is true for hand guns but not for long guns.
You can buy or sell long guns to people in the states that touch your state. Like ky, etc.
This is face to face. If you ship then it does have to go through a ffl.

Timido
11-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Mista, that is true for hand guns but not for long guns.
You can buy or sell long guns to people in the states that touch your state. Like ky, etc.
This is face to face. If you ship then it does have to go through a ffl.

Very True :bigthumb

Black92LX
11-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Best training in Ohio is Tactical Defense Institue

97dustang
11-09-2011, 08:09 PM
So all you have to be is a resident? I'm a Legal resident but not a citizen and have been wanting to buy a gun

Timido
11-09-2011, 11:35 PM
I believe you can own a gun as long as you are a Ohio citizen. I dont believe you can have a CCW licence. This is all from a Canadian friend of mine who lives in Ohio. He is not a citizen

97dustang
11-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Yea, I'm a Canadian as well and am living in Ohio. I'll have to check into whether or not I can get a CCW I guess.

Katmandu
11-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Who can run Serial # checks on handguns ?

ibstrokin
11-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Not sure about checking the ser. #, but when a FFL dealer calls the BATF, they must give them the serial #. You may be able to call the Sheriff or the BATF. Many manufacturers will give you info about the gun if you call them and give them the info, but they won't know if it is stolen or not.