PDA

View Full Version : Fixing T5 Leaks-what seals to replace?

ascCapri
11-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Hey there Gents, looking to put my old 200k plus T5 in my car and fix its leaks in the process....I remember having fluid dripping not only the tailshaft, but I think also from the front ending up on the lowest point on the trans. It still shifts great and my car isn't very high performance, just hoping to have no leaks.

Can anyone tell me what seals to replace while it is out, and where can I get them? I assume the tailshaft and input shaft have a seal, but I have never messed with these outside of driving with one. I am hoping to find the seals and fix it over the weekend so I can be driving next week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2Fast4You
11-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Your best bet is to go to Ford to get those, I have tried some of the local auto stores and have had more run around than success. They are easy to replace.
If you are interested I have a Tremec T5 w/ about 1000 miles for sale and no leaks, LOL.

ascCapri
11-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I will call Ford and get them on order if not in stock.....any suggestions as to what seals to replace, and what they are called? Is it an input shaft seal and tailshaft seal?
I remember hearing there were 2 items to replace on the tailshaft? Anyone know?

Thanks for the offer on the Tremec, I actually have one I was thinking about using as it is low miles, but decided on using it in my truck as it has much bigger tires and will have more power.....this T5 is going in a daily driver, mostly stock car.

Timido
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Check the play in the input shaft and the play in the tail shaft bushing. If there is play worn bushing or end play in the input shaft can tear up seals.

NXcoupe
12-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Call D&D and get a seal and bushing kit for the tailshaft(I keep them in stock), and also get an input shaft seal. It's easy to do, and like Tim said, make sure to get a shim kit from them as well so you can shim up the input, want it to have no wobble or slight, but the trans still very easy to turn by hand. Tailshaft bushing needs pressed in, I can help you with that. Just bring the tailshaft with you.

87Pro5.0
12-25-2011, 11:28 PM
I know the rear tranny seal are common to leak auto zone have them look up trans seals its called the trans tail shaft seal i think bring ur old one with you it pulls right out where the driveshaft slides on

Dirtyd0g
12-25-2011, 11:48 PM
I don't work on them much but usually when I reseal them I change the front input bearing. They can be bought individually as well as the seals from Rockauto. I also prefer to use syncromesh fluid in them instead of atf. It makes them shift a little smoother and doesn't look liek used motor oil after 15,000 miles. Watch where you get it. I used to buy it from advance but I think autozone is half the price now. It is the pennzoil brand syncromesh.
Alan