PDA

View Full Version : CCW Travel websites?

dedpedal
11-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Ive looked at a few thru Google and all I found were pages advertising books for sale. Id rather see a site thats kept up to date that I can check if I travel state to state.

adragon72
11-29-2011, 10:46 AM
X2 i have been looking for the same with no luck.

jktruckin06
11-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I'd just go by your license. Ohio is reciprocal with what like 20 states. In those, carry how you do at home. In others carry with caution or not at all. A few states still have rules that differ from county to county. So getting off exits become a problem. Best way to carry across state lines that aren't reciprocal is to have the gun disassembled and locked as separately as you can get it. This is all my gathered opinion from reading many open ended laws about transporting guns across state lines. Mainly Illinois.

dedpedal
11-29-2011, 11:15 AM
I was told in class that reciprocal does NOT mean you go by your states regs, just that the other state recognizes your permit/licsense. You still have to follow the regs for the state youre in. County laws bring another question to the table. Ive read that Ky has no local laws on CCW.

jktruckin06
11-29-2011, 12:13 PM
OK... it depends on the state. Per... Florida allows concealment of a number of weapons. They are reciprocal with Ohio, but can only conceal a pistol in Ohio. Goofy shit like that. I was just Googling some more and remember how much of a pain in the ass it is to get a straight forward answer regarding ccw. Good luck!

Bman
11-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Ohioccw.org

Black92LX
11-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I'd just go by your license. Ohio is reciprocal with what like 20 states. In those, carry how you do at home. In others carry with caution or not at all. A few states still have rules that differ from county to county. So getting off exits become a problem. Best way to carry across state lines that aren't reciprocal is to have the gun disassembled and locked as separately as you can get it. This is all my gathered opinion from reading many open ended laws about transporting guns across state lines. Mainly Illinois.

Sorry but this is VERY VERY bad advice!!!!!!

You follow the rules of the state you are in!!!

jktruckin06
11-29-2011, 09:40 PM
what separate "laws" are there to abide by. up until recently carrying in alcohol serving establishments was illegal. some other states still differ. that aside, you cannot carry into any government building, playground, bank, school etc in ohio or any other state ohio is reciprocal with. in the car you carry on your person in a holster or on the seat in a holster with a latch, or in a "locking" compartment. the same is true for the states we are reciprocal with. so aside from the alcohol serving establishment law, carry as you would legally carry in ohio. call the states police you plan on traveling to, but 5 officers will have 5 different opinions on the interpretations of the laws. don't just take a mustang enthusiasts word!!!

93cobra
11-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Sorry but this is VERY VERY bad advice!!!!!!

You follow the rules of the state you are in!!!

:agree:

Sounds super confusing but here is what I needed to go through living in IN:

I live in IN & have a lifetime IN.

IN does not have classes...simply apply at Police Station

Since OH does not honor IN permits, I had to take OH class which FL does accept to issue a non resident FL permit.

With non resident FL permit & IN permit, I can cross IN/OH on daily basis. "Yes they want you to obtain home state permit you live in instead of simply getting non res FL"

Non Res FL is accepted in like 30 something states

I have @$500-800 bucks in everything can't remember exact prices..."100 or 150 for OH Class, @150 to IN total for lifetime & @300-400 to FL "good for 7 yrs"

Correct...follow rules of state you are in & better make sure the permit you have is even honored in the state you are in or you go to jail:D

dedpedal
11-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Found this on NRA site:

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The U.S. House of Representatives has passed an important self-defense measure that would enable millions of Right-to-Carry permit holders across the country to carry concealed firearms while traveling outside their home states. H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, passed by a majority bipartisan vote of 272 to 154. All amendments aimed to weaken or damage the integrity of this bill were defeated.

“NRA has made the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act a priority because it enhances the fundamental right to self-defense guaranteed to all law-abiding people,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “People are not immune from crime when they cross state lines. That is why it is vital for them to be able to defend themselves and their loved ones should the need arise.”

H.R. 822, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.), allows any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes.

This bill does not affect existing state laws. State laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within each state’s borders. H.R. 822 does not create a federal licensing system or impose federal standards on state permits; rather, it requires the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

As of today, 49 states have laws in place that permit their citizens to carry a concealed firearm in some form. Only Illinois and the District of Columbia deny its residents the right to carry concealed firearms outside their homes or businesses for self-defense.

“We are grateful for the support of Speaker Boehner, Majority Leader Cantor, Majority Whip McCarthy, Judiciary Chairman Smith and primary sponsors Congressmen Stearns and Shuler for their steadfast support of H.R. 822. Thanks to the persistence of millions of American gun owners and NRA members, Congress has moved one step closer to improving crucial self-defense laws in this country,” concluded Cox.

BillyBob
12-01-2011, 03:12 PM
http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is a site that I usually go to before I do any traveling. They also give details to the other states' laws.

crowbar032
12-08-2011, 03:27 PM
I think below is a website that you'll find useful.

http://www.usacarry.com/