PDA

View Full Version : new job 1/9/12 - which notice?

redfirepearlgt
12-01-2011, 07:51 AM
I am beginning a new job in January. I currently have not given official notice yet. I am toiling with one of the following options:

1.) Give a two week notice on Decmeber 16th

2.) Give an end of month notice December 5th.

I have been also offered a new position at my current employer that bears no increase in pay but reduces my travel from 60% to 15%. Not accepting this position would say "Hey! I am not going to be around much longer!",being I have held this position before and enjoyed it. Therefore the hiring manager is getting impatient being I have had the offer for over a week. My current company has been known for making the day of notice the employees last day in some cases. Regardless I would like to see a person get hired in ASAP so that others in my territory aren't forced to travel even more after I leave. Either way my last day would be Decmeber 30th. My notice will be presented in person and in writing. Any opinions?

There is no way I am staying due to the offer I have accepted which takes me out of travel service work altogether and leaves me with a 5-10 minute to and from work each day and a huge pay raise I might add.

2Fast4You
12-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Interesting scenario, can you take that position and then give your 2-week notice?
Should you turn down the position and then give your 2-week notice?
What is the likely hood that they will be able to fill your position within 2-weeks?
Should you give a longer notice for them to find a replacement?
Will they just let you go after you notify them?
What kind of impression do you want to leave with that employer?
What are the chances that you would want to go back if this job does not work out?

It is as simple as making the decision that you need to make versus the decision you want to make. This probably doesn't help but just things to think about, not that you haven't already.

SMOKE
12-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Give your notice now, work 2 weeks then take 2 off. I wouldn't accept a promotion when you know you are leaving anyways, chances are you would be screwing someone else out of the position or someone new from coming to the company.

Most companies pay you for the 2 week notice period if they let you go immediately. If they sent you packing the day you got your notice, you should still get paid for the following 2 weeks and most companies also pay out for vacation time if you have any.

RIXXX93GT
12-01-2011, 12:30 PM
DO NOT ACCEPT the other position at your current employer. If your salary give them three weeks notice. Hourly give them 2 weeks notice. Be pleasant and professional, go about your job duties like nothing has changed and make it a point to not spend any time discussing your next job with your co-workers. Theres no reason to go into those discussions with anyone other than your boss. Dont burn bridges.

97dustang
12-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Good luck with your new job man! What is it that you do?

redfirepearlgt
12-01-2011, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't accept a promotion when you know you are leaving anyways, chances are you would be screwing someone else out of the position or someone new from coming to the company.

DO NOT ACCEPT the other position at your current employer. ... Dont burn bridges.

I agree that I would not accept this position because it would only create a burn in the stomach for two managers not just one. As stated, I do not wish to burn any bridges.

I have thought about it and I will wait and give my two week notice.

redfirepearlgt
12-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Good luck with your new job man! What is it that you do?

Field Service repair/installation/training on CNC Machine Equipment. And thanks for the kind words.

djom1cincy
12-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Two weeks notice if you don't think they will fire you or if you can afford to take the two weeks off in case they do. Maybe one week if you think they'll let you go instantly. It's a better job no matter what they do to you. Either way see you at work in January.

redfirepearlgt
12-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Two weeks notice if you don't think they will fire you or if you can afford to take the two weeks off in case they do. Maybe one week if you think they'll let you go instantly. It's a better job no matter what they do to you. Either way see you at work in January.

Yes Sir! Can't wait!!!!! Will let you know what building and soforth when I get there! Thanks.

2000GT
12-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Yea when I put in my two weeks notice they went ahead and fired me

sean
12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Jan 9 is my birthday.... So you at least have a great day to start on. Lol congrats

redfirepearlgt
12-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Jan 9 is my birthday.... So you at least have a great day to start on. Lol congrats

Knew there something different about you Sean, mine is the 5th of Jan. We are just a couple of old goats ! LOL!!!!

redfirepearlgt
12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Yea when I put in my two weeks notice they went ahead and fired me

That sucks. Did they honor the notice and pay you out those two weeks? I assume they don't have to or do they?

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I was always told to give as much notice as you get per pay period, so if you get paid every week give a 1 week notice, 2 weeks give a 2 week notice. Regardless of the job you're taking, give a good enough notice that you leave on good terms. It's never good to burn bridges.

Dirtyd0g
12-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Keep in mind people often tell you to go ahead and go home when you give notice which could hurt you on your bills especially this time of the year. 2 weeks is considered standard so I would do that unless losing a few weeks of work is ok by you then tell them asap.
Alan

redfirepearlgt
12-02-2011, 07:20 PM
I was always told to give as much notice as you get per pay period, so if you get paid every week give a 1 week notice, 2 weeks give a 2 week notice. Regardless of the job you're taking, give a good enough notice that you leave on good terms. It's never good to burn bridges.

agreed. I never burn bridges. You never know when you will find yourself needing a reference. My biggest concern is if by giving an advanced notice so the boss can find a replacement in the meanwhile (my intentions in thinking) I don't want to get burned for four weeks while trying to be a good sport in giving a heads up knwing our region is short handed already. THanks for the feedback.

redfirepearlgt
12-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Keep in mind people often tell you to go ahead and go home when you give notice which could hurt you on your bills especially this time of the year. 2 weeks is considered standard so I would do that unless losing a few weeks of work is ok by you then tell them asap.
Alan

I appreciate the advise. I am prepared financially should such a situation arise but would rather not tap that reserve if I do not have to. I would never give less than a two week notice even for a company I did not care to work for. Just trying to do the right thing for everyone.