PDA

View Full Version : Tempur-pedic vs. Select Comfort...anyone have either?

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Me and the Mrs. have had it with beds, and in a couple months we're gonna throw down on a serious bed, and these are the two that seem to get the most advertisement. We just spent a shit ton of money on this awesome memory foam pillow top bed and after not even 2 years it's absolutely horrible, so i don't wanna waste money on something that isn't going to last and give me a good nights sleep. I'm completely avoiding conventional spring mattresses at the moment.

dedpedal
12-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Ive slept on a Tempur before. Much better than a spring matress and MUCH better for nightly exercise.

mustangrfast88
12-07-2011, 08:49 PM
the next bed i buy will be a tepur pedic one i got one of there pillows and it sleeps awesome

jktruckin06
12-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Sealy posturepedic. You say you are done with conventional spring mattresses, but this is a good bed. With a ten year warranty. We got ours from the better sleep shop in tri county. Don't give up on them yet!

Goober
12-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Parents have had a Select Comfort for 11+ years, and its still holding up.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Sealy posturepedic. You say you are done with conventional spring mattresses, but this is a good bed. With a ten year warranty. We got ours from the better sleep shop in tri county. Don't give up on them yet!

I'll have to check the brand but i believe this is what we have. It was a dream for the first few months...the most amazing sleep i've ever had, then after a while it started sagging in the middle...it's terrible now. I actually have a couple blankets folded up underneath the mattress to lift the center up to try to counteract some of the sag...that's how bad it is. $1200 mattress and it's not worth a shit 2 years later. I'm 215lbs so it's not like there's a ridiculous amount of weight on it either.

cstreu1026
12-07-2011, 09:14 PM
I have a memory foam mattress and love it. We didn't go with the Tempurpedic because it was harder and more expensive. They have since come out with more options. I don't sleep well on anything else now.

k062693w
12-07-2011, 09:33 PM
I have a memory foam mattress and love it. We didn't go with the Tempurpedic because it was harder and more expensive. They have since come out with more options. I don't sleep well on anything else now.

What brand do you have Cam ??? I have been thinking about getting one for Jennifer and I for Christmas ....

flyin2jz
12-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Yea the temper pedic is what we are going to get. The wife wants the cloud lux. It's 4800 bux for it with the adjustable base. I've done tons of research but I find lots say its great for a couple weeks then they hate it. I'd say most people who give reviews are ticked off and the ones who love it don't say alot. What ticks me off is they don't go on sale. Ever. I looked at the sleep number and all its a blow up mattress with a piece of memory foam on it.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I've been reading reviews and i've seen quite a few that say "have owned a queen for 10 years, just upgraded to a king" kind of comments so they seem to have some longevity to them. I did read that they're really stiff when new and some people are disappointed with how soft they become once broken in...so i'm thinking we'll opt for one of the stiffer models.

cstreu1026
12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
What brand do you have Cam ??? I have been thinking about getting one for Jennifer and I for Christmas ....

I can't remember for sure but I think it was called New Dawn and according to google its made by Dormia. I will offer one warning though. They do not breath very well at least the one we have doesn't. I tend to get very warm at night which isn't really a problem during the winter but its gets a little expensive in the summer trying to keep the house cool enough at night to be able to sleep comfortably. From what I understand they have improved on that though.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Alright so here's the obvious question, and i'm not even gonna beat around the bush.

How's sex on a Tempurpedic? If it's no good for humpin, i'll pass :lol:

In my mind i have this vision of drilling her down into the foam lol.

Gstang117
12-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I've had my tempurpedic for 4 years now. It was as hard as a rock when I got it but it takes time to break it in. Right now it's perfect on both sides, I sleep like an overgrown baby. As for the sex part, haven't had sex on it cause the damn thing only sleeps one (twin with the tall package cause my feet hang off a normal twin) and I'm like 1 1/2 of a person.

BIGRED Z
12-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Alright so here's the obvious question, and i'm not even gonna beat around the bush.

How's sex on a Tempurpedic? If it's no good for humpin, i'll pass :lol:

In my mind i have this vision of drilling her down into the foam lol.

Kevin said it was much better for "nightly exercise"...

Also, the Radisson on the river has all sleep number beds. I thought they were little more than glorified air matresses with some padding between you and the air mattress. Not impressed.

Goldenpony
12-08-2011, 06:24 AM
We looked at both the TempurPedic and the Select Number. We went with the TempurPedic. It took 10 days to 2 weeks to get used to, but once we did, it became our favorite bed forever. When we go on vacation (we usually go for 2 weeks) I can't wait to get back to our TempurPedic.
The thing I didn't like about the Select number was that there was too much to go wrong. There's the air pump, the air chambers, there's the transducers that read the air pressure, the readouts that read the air pressure, and the plumbing, and also the control boxes with the switches. There's also the valving that adjusts the air pressure. It was comfortable, but I just saw too much stuff to have problems with.
You know the ads that show the glass of wine on the TempurPedic? Believe it.
Lastly, sex is really good on the TempurPedic. We used to have a water bed. Had it for 20 years or so. Sex being good on a water bed is a myth. Good luck on your choice.

Black92LX
12-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Kevin said it was much better for "nightly exercise"...

Also, the Radisson on the river has all sleep number beds. I thought they were little more than glorified air matresses with some padding between you and the air mattress. Not impressed.

That's because they use one of the lower end models.

We have the P7 Select Number and it's great.
Both sides air chambers are independent, then there are three different layers of foam with the top layer being a latex foam that does not hold ones body heat.

I am not a fan of Temperpedic style memory foam mattresses as they tend to hold your body heat.
I already sleep with just a sheet and burn up and sweat like crazy with the tempurpedic.

I have been very happy with our sleep number bed.
Ask what their current promotions are. When we bought ours nurses got 30% off my wife is a nurse so we saved some coin.
Though as much better as I sleep on this thing I would gladly pay the full price.

http://www.sleepnumber.com/eng/products/sleep-number-beds/performance-series/p7/p7?p7

JET50213
12-08-2011, 04:40 PM
We've had a Tempur for two years. I never thought I would throw down that kind of cash on a bed, but I don't regret it. We got the adjustable base and all that. It was an absolute Godsend when I got my nuggets snipped and had to lay in bed for a couple days with frozen peas on my junk!
As far as the horizontal bop...it's great! Just make sure you lock out the wheels!