PDA

View Full Version : opinion on explorer buy

redfirepearlgt
12-08-2011, 08:12 PM
2001 V8-AWD Explorer XLT w/ 88000 miles. Undercarriage in pics looks okay for an explorer that old. Vehicle search indicates a moderate to severe front end collision on the left side in 2007 @ 47K miles. Not a salvage title vehicle. Interior cloth. May have been smoked in. Dealer just put new rear rotors and brakes on it. States fronts are all good and no leaks observed on drivetrain. Asking $3700.00 OPINIONS PLEASE? Body appears to show no rust, just scratches. Color is Black. Retail NADA is 6K average wholesale $3500.

I am aware that hubs, rear shackles, and ball joints are concerns aside from undercarriage rust on these units. THe undercarriage pics show much less corrosion than I have seen on any other so far to date. Thanks for the feedback.

Using for a daily driver (10 minutes each way) for work. Start a new job in January.

Kevin1989
12-08-2011, 10:07 PM
jack the front end up in the air and shake the front end down, see what it looks like then. seems like a good deal

redfirepearlgt
12-08-2011, 10:19 PM
jack the front end up in the air and shake the front end down, see what it looks like then. seems like a good deal

I thought the price was fair as well, but had some reservation when I saw the car fax report. I will follow up on this. Thanks Kevin.

thecollector
12-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Exhaust leaks on pass side manifold. I also don't believe a decade old ford doesn't leak oil.

redfirepearlgt
12-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Drove it this evening. tranny problems big time. Won't down shift into first at stop. won't stay in OD on highway at 65 on flat plane, no incline. At 45 tranny slips when in OD. Giving up on the hoopty concept and going for a little later model, and definately not an explorer. Just thought it would be nice to have the motor out of it after it crapped out in a few years tranny, suspension and body wise. I wouldn't give this thing 6 months. Even the salesrep after we got back mentioned he was concerned about making back without a tow. At least I was on the wy back from a customer and did not have to use my own gas for the water haul.

full force
12-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Exhaust leaks on pass side manifold. I also don't believe a decade old ford doesn't leak oil.

I have a 97 5.0 AWD with 255,600 miles and it does not leak a drop of anything....

full force
12-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Drove it this evening. tranny problems big time. Won't down shift into first at stop. won't stay in OD on highway at 65 on flat plane, no incline. At 45 tranny slips when in OD. Giving up on the hoopty concept and going for a little later model, and definately not an explorer. Just thought it would be nice to have the motor out of it after it crapped out in a few years tranny, suspension and body wise. I wouldn't give this thing 6 months. Even the salesrep after we got back mentioned he was concerned about making back without a tow. At least I was on the wy back from a customer and did not have to use my own gas for the water haul.

Don't give up on Explorers, I have had 8-9 of em over the years ranging from 92-07 and LOVE them, best treucks I ever had besides my SD F-250's
The 03-up Explorers are way nicer and are very reliable too, if you plan to go that route, I always buy Eddie Bauer to get all the options, Limiteds are basically same thing but harder to find depending on color you like..

I say stick with Explorer for SUV, no idea what else you are looking at but I hope it isn't GM or Dodge.. both are junk

motox159
12-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Tranny problems are a common problem with them. I was looking to buy one this past spring and that was a problem for me.

full force
12-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Tranny problems are a common problem with them. I was looking to buy one this past spring and that was a problem for me.

Just gotta find right one that was not abused,peoiple have no idea what maintainence is usually... just drive em and run em into ground..

thecollector
12-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Just gotta find right one that was not abused,peoiple have no idea what maintainence is usually... just drive em and run em into ground..

Its not maintenance if you don't put a dipstick tube on a trans. Trans failure is routine on 3rd gens, also rear diffs and back glass cracking. Nothing is routine about how many 3rd members ford rebuilt or replaced on irs trucks. The metal flake additive recall was also a bs move to delay trans failure till after the expiration of powertrain warranty coverage.

I have had several explorers, as a tech I would purchase an escape of similar vintage if in the market.

full force
12-16-2011, 11:24 PM
I had a 03 and 07, no issues with either, maybe I am very lucky... all my Fords have been amazingly great to me over the last 20 years!