PDA

View Full Version : Food you hated as a child but...

dedpedal
12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
... love today. You know what Im talking about. That stuff that youd sit at the table til bedtime before eating, slide to the dog or otherwise dispose of.

1. Goetta. Mom made it all the time. Cheap way to feed three growing boys. I can understand her thinking as cheap then but economical now. Not that I hated the taste but we ate it damn near every day. After a few years without eating goetta,Im first in line when she makes a batch and fulfill my crave with storebought.

2. Sour Kraut. Face it, this is an aqquired taste. Id rather chew on the dogs dry food (and yes I did) than submit myself to the smell and taste. Today I crave a good batch with sausage as well as on White Castle cheeseburgers.

3. Corn. Now theres a caveat here. I wouldnt eat corn if it was off the cobb. However, give me a pot of boiled corn on the cob and I was on it like a fat chick at a Greater's free icecream day.

4 Peas and Lima Beans. I would rather have broken glass infused to my toilet paper than chew a mouthful of these. Now I tend to order either as a side dish. Not that Im enamoured now just that I wont sit and pick them out of my vegetable soup.

5. Banquet Salisbury Steak. Probably along the same lines as goetta. Now Ill pick up a few at the store for the odd craving. BTW I now soak the gravy up with butter bread. If you havent tried this poor folks delicasy, I recommend you go smack your momma for not serving it when you were a kid.

6.Pumpkin Pie. Dont you judge me! I couldnt stand it as a kid. I saw what a pumpkin looked like on the inside and the mental image of eating it made me want to barf. Now, I cant wait for Frisches to make them around Thanksgiving.

Now for a few that I simply wont eat even now.

1.Liver. Hey, its an internal organ that I use for catfish bait. Enuff said. (although Ill tear up Braunschwagger}

2. Any Sushi. Nope, it looks like a fish already ate it and shat it on a plate.

3.Head Cheese. Mom fooled me one time with that. Once.

So whats on your list?

Dirtyd0g
12-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Never had head cheese, I refuse to eat liver but eat the braunswagger on occasion. I wouldn't eat peas as a kid and now I prefer them over corn. I still can't do sauerkraut. Sushi is definately nothing I want to eat.
Alan

bestracing
12-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Things I hated growing up but now like and even love....
Green beans
mushrooms now love
onions now love
bell pepper.

Things I have never liked and still don't:

Liver
gizzards
stewed tomatoes (plain)
pickled beets

90fastgt
12-13-2011, 02:30 PM
I hated mushrooms now I love them on my steak along with onions an I always hated corn but I like it now I still hate tomato an pickles

capri306rs
12-13-2011, 02:35 PM
My mom used to make pigs in a blanket and I thought it was sick.

Black Horse
12-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Anything stir fried by someone with an accent.....

Pitbull1052
12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
2. Any Sushi. Nope, it looks like a fish already ate it and shat it on a plate.

Kev I use to feel the same way but then I discovered sushi grade tuna and let me tell you it's tough to find a steak under 20 bucks that'll compare to the worst sushi grade tuna or a good lightly seered ahi steak........

for me it's pea's.... when I was about 4 so i'm told I did the whole falling asleep in my plate was told i'll sit there till they were gone, so dad thought he would negotiate with me said "what do I have to do to get you to eat those peas" he said I thought about it for a min or two then answered "if you peel them i'll eat them I don't like the skins" lol so needless to say dad wasnt going to peel a plate of peas so I didnt have to eat them... now if they are fresh and cooked right I'll eat them I still can't do a plane ol can of them but some fresh one's are pretty good.

I use to hate cooked carrots but loved them raw I can tolerate them now

I'm not really a krout fan but on a Ruben I can do that or fried and battered but then again I could prolly eat just about anything fried and battered....

no guts livers organs etc...... like 7 up on that one "never had it never will"

Markcore
12-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Everything I hated then, I still do EXCEPT spaghetti.

I used to sit at the table until 9-10pm until my mom would let me get up without eating that shit. Now, I love it! :lol:

k062693w
12-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Hated it then and Hate it now ... POPCORN !!!

Ranger50
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I tolerate olives way more now then as a kid.

I still will not eat liver or anything associated with liver in the ingredients. No way am I eating the sewage treatment plant of the body.

97dustang
12-13-2011, 03:58 PM
i hated as a kid and still hate pickles and mustard. the sight of mustard makes me feel queezy lol

331lx
12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
I used to hate salad and now like it.

Mista Bone
12-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Liver......

As a kid in school, every hated liver or so they said. The night I mentioned it, it was what was cooking on the stove/ I asked what was for dinner?

Meat.

After finished eating, Dad asked how was the liver????

I won't eat raw fish or any other raw meat. I hate mushrooms and pickles. I don't do cold salads except lettuce, no dressing either. Cottage chesse, riccato or Feta chesse, nope I wot' touch it.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Sour krout for sure...couldn't stand the smell of it, can't eat enough of it now. Mustard was another one i didn't like.

Still hate peas, cole slaw, brussel sprouts, cooked spinach (raw and part of a salad is ok), broccoli unless it's mixed with other foods/veggies.

Goldenpony
12-13-2011, 05:55 PM
My Mom once told me liver was steak to get me to eat it. Now I love it.

jktruckin06
12-13-2011, 09:41 PM
i'm glad someone else gets down on some salisbury steak... fish sticks are a good blast from the past... the only food i was against was brussel sprouts until the old man bet me a dollar to eat one, i eat them all the time now...

and as for hating mustard 97dustang, you aren't alone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KGWym-l1mM&feature=related

Gstang117
12-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Eggs and fish. Never liked them, never will. I'll eat just about anything else just dont tell me whats in it.

cobradon
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Broccoli hated it as a kid.Can't eat enough of it now love it..

heyitsmepugsley
12-13-2011, 11:52 PM
brussel spouts!!! i used to hate hate hate them as a kid.my family always tells the story of when i was kid and my grandma made me try one before i got up from the table. so i ate it and acted like i was going blind hahaha nobody feel for it but they didnt make me try it again. i laugh my ass off everytime we talk about that shit.

capri306rs
12-14-2011, 08:03 AM
They say our taste bud's change every 7 too 12 year's,, is it true?? sounds like it might be true because of how many people love the food they used to hate. My little brother is 30 now and he always hated eggs. He threw up at the table when he was little and we all rolled out of our chair's in the kitchen. So too this day he smell's eggs he run's. I love to watch his face when we crack open the eggs and cook them,, he's off too the races like a top fuel funny car.LMAO

BIGRED Z
12-14-2011, 10:38 PM
Asparagus! I'd bury it in the bottom of my glass of milk! Then my mom's b/f at the time thought he'd play Daddy and make me eat it. I did. Then politely projectiled them onto his chest. Fucker. He never made me eat anything again. :flipoff: Now I love it grilled or sauteed. Still can't hack the canned variety.

Salad, but love it now.

I refuse to eat liver. :eek: It could be delicious, but it is a filter for the body's toxins. No thanks. Still can't do lima beans, peas, or brussel sprouts.

Bring on the sushi. Love it.

Kev, I got some homemade goetta for you!

chad393na
12-15-2011, 10:30 AM
I hated brussel sprouts, but love them now. Still hate eggs and hominy.Cant stand to even smell either one of them cooking! Absolutely love sushi!:bigthumb

90stang
12-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Didnt like peas then and i still hate them. I think its more of the color. Looks like some Bird sh** :lol:

dedpedal
12-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Just thought of one. MICROWAVED chicken pot pie. $ for a dollar but they wernt quite made for new age nuking so the crust was always soft and gooey. Im putting those on my next grocery list.

BIGRED Z
12-16-2011, 03:32 AM
Just thought of one. MICROWAVED chicken pot pie. $ for a dollar but they wernt quite made for new age nuking so the crust was always soft and gooey. Im putting those on my next grocery list.

Don't you dare! You already live on Pizza, hot pockets, and beer. Chicken pot pies are horrible! And I'm consfiscating your stupid mini wheats!! :flipoff:

chris91
12-16-2011, 08:24 AM
I absolutely hated broccoli, mushrooms, basically everything a kid wouldn't like growing up. After moving out on my own I grew to love damn near anything. Lol

I still HATE avocado though. Teacher brought it in when I was in fourth grade. We all tried a couple pieces. I immediately ran to the bathroom and didn't quite make it there. Spewed all over the hallway. The janitor at Ayer Elementary had to of hated life that day. Haha

Dedpedal if you love corn on the cob you should try birds eye steamfresh in the frozen foods section. Buddy of mine told me about it a couple years ago and now I wont eat canned corn anymore.

dedpedal
12-16-2011, 08:44 AM
I absolutely hated broccoli, mushrooms, basically everything a kid wouldn't like growing up. After moving out on my own I grew to love damn near anything. Lol

I still HATE avocado though. Teacher brought it in when I was in fourth grade. We all tried a couple pieces. I immediately ran to the bathroom and didn't quite make it there. Spewed all over the hallway. The janitor at Ayer Elementary had to of hated life that day. Haha

Dedpedal if you love corn on the cob you should try birds eye steamfresh in the frozen foods section. Buddy of mine told me about it a couple years ago and now I wont eat canned corn anymore.

I out grew it and any corn is good, but I agree with the birds eye stuff

Black Horse
12-16-2011, 09:29 AM
I didn't like beer as a kid...I'm glad I outgrew that!

03z06vette
12-16-2011, 11:08 AM
I didn't like beer as a kid...I'm glad I outgrew that!

!!!! :chug:

Goldenpony
12-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Brussel Sprouts, anything that even is similiar to sour milk - like sour cream, butter milk. Hated it then, still hate it.

BIGRED Z
12-21-2011, 10:37 PM
I thought of another food I wouldn't touch as a kid, but love now. Sweet potatoes! Especially now that they are making french fries of them in the frozen section. Delicious!

Chris, I won't eat canned corn anymore either! Dave, AGREED!!!:drunk::chug::cheers:

RacerX
12-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Amazing how we change. I wouldn't eat pizza! Weird kid I guess. Now there isn't much I won't eat except sushi (yuck).

DR