PDA

View Full Version : turboing a carbd motor

Project91LX
12-20-2011, 12:41 PM
What all would i need when turboing a sbf carbd motor? I have the headers with turbo flange already on them as well as the fmic. I didnt know what else i would need besides the turbo.

blown96cobra
12-20-2011, 01:47 PM
i only know one person that did a blow thru carb and he spent a fuck ton of $ to do the efi to blow thru carb swap and the car slowed down so if you can go the efi route i would since the blow thru carbs themselves are very expensive.

05yellowgt
12-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Talk to Mfield. He did a blow through carb'd mod motor, but all the principles are the same regardless of the engine.

Rick93coupe
12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Theturboforums.com has a section dedicated to blow through setups.

85_SS_302_Coupe
12-20-2011, 03:11 PM
This is one of my favorite builds for a turbo carb setup. This combo eventually ran 10s in a Capri with a bunch of junkyard parts. http://members.jasnetworks.net/mjsitar/BudgetTT/BudgetTT.htm

red srides
12-20-2011, 05:06 PM
start by calling pro system they make the carb you will need

MFIELD
12-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Theturboforums is a great place to start. I buiilt my own carb and went 10.60's @ 139with a 70 mm 306 tfs headed tfs stage 1 cam engine until it split the block. My mod motor made 512 at the wheels on 12 lbs of boost but I had other issues with that engine so I gave up on it.

Galaxie
12-21-2011, 08:36 AM
My son in law used a junk yard roller 5.8 short block with a f cam and a set of tfs heads . It has a turbo 400 and has not got a correct convertor for it yet first was to loose second was too tight but it has went 10.33 at 133 mph with a blow through on 750 holley at 17 lbs of boost . He had CSU build the carb and had issues at first and called him and they guy pulled up the data that he had gave him and said you told me to set it up for 13 lbs . He then told him what he needed to do to get the fuel he needed for 17 lbs and it has not came apart since . He had went through a few sets of head gaskets before that . Here is a vid of it last run should be back out next year as long as the pulling truck does not break . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B08PnblBJm4&list=UUc3OA7RgrblPrPsN3tA41QA&index=7&feature=plcp > On my Fairmont I have a Explorer long block tfs stage 1 cam with good valve springs and used a Professional Products fuel injection . It works great just load a program fire and drive it and it self tuning plus you can fine tune with a lap top . It is good for 500 hp with the injectors it has and you can change them and go up to 1000 fairly easy . The only problem I have found is it does not like to bog . I didnt hit hard enough off the line and it bogged and it took a few to recover. I have been driving around with a 3.27 gear getting 20 mpg out of it when driving normal . I figured its normally 1200.00 for a good carb rebuild for a turbo set up and the PP3 came with the fuel pump and got it for 1533.00 off of Amazon .com . I thought it was worth a shot and love it .

Project91LX
12-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone

rollingthunder
01-12-2012, 11:13 AM
boost referencing fuel regulator; some type of msd programmable ingition (6530 or 7532) box so you can pull timing as boost levels increase; blow off valves. make sure fuel pump and lines (including return) are big enough to handle it. a carb hat which is around 250 bucks and whatever you are going to use for piping to carb hat. CNS has a great reputation as well as CSU for making blow thru carbs. Pro system carbs also have a reputatuin for them. for a gas application when I talked to cns and csu their carbs were right at 1000 and they would set them up very close to what you have. pro systems sent me a quote for 850. These were for my set-up which is a supercharger and I don't know if they would be the same for a turbo set-up or not. Good luck. obviously I have been thinking of switching from efi to carb with my blower car but I have quite a few more things I would have to purchase and that really makes it expensive. are you going from carb set-up now to turbo/blow through? cause if it is efi to carb there are more things...intake,distributor and possibly a fuel pump
Good luck with the build