PDA

View Full Version : F150 5.4 2V

redfirepearlgt
01-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Anyone has first hand experience with these engines wit hregard to durability and MPG in a 4x4 extended cab auto AOD? Year is a 2003 and it has 97K on it. Looks very, very clean considering the junk I have seen recently. Thanks for any advise on durability and estimated MPG around town.

bobtsgt
01-01-2012, 08:03 PM
probably lookin at 16-18mpg on highway light footing it. the motors are durable. Same basic set up as a 4.6 just a taller block. If taken care of they will last. As for the tranny its hard telling. I know some guys still pulling boats are trailers no problem but I also know a guy whos tranny went out while towing a 4 wheeler

dsmawd350
01-01-2012, 08:09 PM
my dads got one in a 04 lariat ext cab 4x4 auto. dash was usually 15.5-16.5 empty and around 12.5-13 towing a car and trailer

CNTLOSE
01-01-2012, 08:29 PM
My father has one with the FX4 and gets about 16 average around town and as high as 19 highway.

redfirepearlgt
01-01-2012, 09:03 PM
outstanding. Thanks for the feedback. I have dibs on one with a fair price and plan on making it my DD for work (10 miles each way). Will be nice to have something to hall stuff with and pull a car if need be once in a while to/from E20. THanks.

AntiRice427
01-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I had an 03 FX4 ext cab auto. It was the best vehicle I have owned. It had 199k on it when I sold it and it ran great. No smoke and no leaks.

redfirepearlgt
01-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I had an 03 FX4 ext cab auto. It was the best vehicle I have owned. It had 199k on it when I sold it and it ran great. No smoke and no leaks.

Awesome! sounds like this one still has over half its life life in it.

bronzeLX
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I just bought a 1999 f150 with a bad auto trans, it is a 2 wheel drive, but has a 4.6. It just turned over 209xxx, motor has never been opened up, has plenty of power, does'nt smoke, sounds great, 15-17 mpg is about right.

redfirepearlgt
01-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I just bought a 1999 f150 with a bad auto trans, it is a 2 wheel drive, but has a 4.6. It just turned over 209xxx, motor has never been opened up, has plenty of power, does'nt smoke, sounds great, 15-17 mpg is about right.

Cool thanks. Going to look at this one tomorrow, if its still on he lot. Hopefully it looks and runs as good as its listed. The photos were very optimistic. Interior has no rips and the nerf bars aren't rusted. Lower doorsn and rockers appear solid in pix as well but won't know until the old magnet is pulled out.

graysonracin
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Should be a good rig, my 2000 was a great truck had 150k on the clock, the guy i sold it to said its going strong still.

INSANEBA
01-02-2012, 12:39 AM
I have a 4x4 with the 4.6, and on the highway i get about 19 driving, and about 15-16 pulling. Good truck, but I have my heart set on a cummins when I sell this one.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/INSANEBA/ferd.jpg

IWRBB
01-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I have a 2000 F150 with the 5.4L and 4x4. I get 13.5 MPG average over the last 20,000 miles. I used to drive it all highway to work for about a year- and the best I ever did was 15.5 MPG for one tank.

I'd check very carefully for rust on the truck. Pinch welds at the bottom of the doors, the bottom edges of the bed, the rear vertical part of the bed floor that the tailgate closes against, the core support- and most importantly, the brake lines.

redfirepearlgt
01-02-2012, 10:52 AM
I have a 2000 F150 with the 5.4L and 4x4. I get 13.5 MPG average over the last 20,000 miles. I used to drive it all highway to work for about a year- and the best I ever did was 15.5 MPG for one tank.

I'd check very carefully for rust on the truck. Pinch welds at the bottom of the doors, the bottom edges of the bed, the rear vertical part of the bed floor that the tailgate closes against, the core support- and most importantly, the brake lines.

Thanks for the tips. Have been checking doors, rockers, oil leaks, interior, shcles, brakelines, brakes, rotors, etc. Will look more closely at the core support and pinch welds in the bed and tailgate area. Thanks.

INSANEBA
01-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Rocker panels, door bottoms, and deffinitely the tailgate hinges. Those are known to rust off completely. I had to repair mine when I got it. Also listen for exhaust manifold noise, they are notorious for breaking or rusting holes in them. If it has factory running boards or nerf bars, deffinitely look under it at the rockers. Those screw into the rockers, and rust them out like a mofo.

zippy94
01-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Common issues I have seen are coil packs, At that milage they could be do, Along with a tune up. Changing plugs in those truck are fun! Also exhaust gasket on passenger side tend to leak and sound like a rod knocking. Most of these issues comes with buying a used 100k truck . good luck Chad

Katmandu
01-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Does the 5.4 blow spark plugs out of the head like 4.6s are known to do ?

mustang8998
01-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Does the 5.4 blow spark plugs out of the head like 4.6s are known to do ?

Yes, if not properly torqued.

There is a recall for fuel tank straps, they are known to rust. Rear windows are prone to leaks, so look around under the rear seats. There are several little quirky things that are easy fixes, like odometer not working and power locks.

Before buying any mods, look up "Gott's mod" and air silencer removal. Two of the cheapest and easiest mods you will ever do.

I've had my '99 Lariat S-cab 5.4 4X4 auto, for 2 years now and have only had to replace the alternator and a coil pack. It has ~180,000 on it.

And, puleez.....it is a Super Cab! Chevy's have extended cabs!

:lol::lol::lol:

bronzeLX
01-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Yes, if not properly torqued.

There is a recall for fuel tank straps, they are known to rust. Rear windows are prone to leaks, so look around under the rear seats. There are several little quirky things that are easy fixes, like odometer not working and power locks.

Before buying any mods, look up "Gott's mod" and air silencer removal. Two of the cheapest and easiest mods you will ever do.

I've had my '99 Lariat S-cab 5.4 4X4 auto, for 2 years now and have only had to replace the alternator and a coil pack. It has ~180,000 on it.

And, puleez.....it is a Super Cab! Chevy's have extended cabs!

:lol::lol::lol:Thanks for the info, I knew about the gas tank strap recall, they have been replaced sometime in the past, but still got a recall notice in the mail? The leaking around the rear window, is this the 1 pc. glass, sliding glass or both? My odometer will go out from time to time, is that what you were talking about, and I have a lazy passenger side p/door lock, it will move but not unlock or lock the door.Thanks

redfirepearlgt
01-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I was headed up to look at this 2003 Ford F150 4x4 today and was also stopping to take a look at a 1999 F150 supercab (sorry I said extended cab folks LOL!) 2WD with a 4.6L. Got there and this thing still smelled new on the inside. Not a scratch on the paint, clearly garage kept, new General Grabber tires, brakes on the front, spotless interior, power everything, Leaf springs and shackles still have the paint on them, not a lick of surface rust anywhere, and under the hood... spotless. Not detailed sptoless mond you, but new truck spotless. Picked it up for 6700 + TT. Needs a limited slip diffential (has a standard axle 3.55) which should be no problem at all. One owner truck, no wrecks, couldn't even find a scratch on the paint. I mean this thing is clean. Just wish it had a LS 355 axle, but that will be dealt with soon enough. THanks everyone for the information. That 2003 with 97K 4X4 was a sweet ride and would have pulled an oak stump out of the ground with that 5.4 but that 12 MPG just was a bit steep considering gas is already 3.45 a gallon and will ony go up this summer.

If anyone is looking for a nice 4X4 in the dayton area this one is at Matt Castrucci in Miamisburg. Have a great week everyone and thanks again.

bronzeLX
01-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Did'nt mean to jump your your thread with my own questions, I'm glad things worked out for ya and you got your truck.

redfirepearlgt
01-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Did'nt mean to jump your your thread with my own questions, I'm glad things worked out for ya and you got your truck.

Aint nothin but a thang! Never thought a thing of it. Have a good week, and thanks.

mustang8998
01-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the info, I knew about the gas tank strap recall, they have been replaced sometime in the past, but still got a recall notice in the mail? The leaking around the rear window, is this the 1 pc. glass, sliding glass or both? My odometer will go out from time to time, is that what you were talking about, and I have a lazy passenger side p/door lock, it will move but not unlock or lock the door.Thanks

As far as I know, both one piece and the slider windows leak. My slider has a small leak around the outside, behind the trim. I've read a "how to" about sealing it, but have yet to do it.

The odometer is an easy fix. it is a bad solder joint, on the back of the board. The door lock has a resistor that gets weak and can be replaced with a solid piece of metal.

Do a search for either problem on http://www.f150forum.com/ . Lots of good info there.

mustang8998
01-03-2012, 09:11 PM
I was headed up to look at this 2003 Ford F150 4x4 today and was also stopping to take a look at a 1999 F150 supercab (sorry I said extended cab folks LOL!) 2WD with a 4.6L. Got there and this thing still smelled new on the inside. Not a scratch on the paint, clearly garage kept, new General Grabber tires, brakes on the front, spotless interior, power everything, Leaf springs and shackles still have the paint on them, not a lick of surface rust anywhere, and under the hood... spotless. Not detailed sptoless mond you, but new truck spotless. Picked it up for 6700 + TT. Needs a limited slip diffential (has a standard axle 3.55) which should be no problem at all. One owner truck, no wrecks, couldn't even find a scratch on the paint. I mean this thing is clean. Just wish it had a LS 355 axle, but that will be dealt with soon enough. THanks everyone for the information. That 2003 with 97K 4X4 was a sweet ride and would have pulled an oak stump out of the ground with that 5.4 but that 12 MPG just was a bit steep considering gas is already 3.45 a gallon and will ony go up this summer.

If anyone is looking for a nice 4X4 in the dayton area this one is at Matt Castrucci in Miamisburg. Have a great week everyone and thanks again.

Sounds like you found a good one! You'll still want to do the "Gott's mod" and air silencer removal. It will free up a couple horses and sound better, too.

Good luck with it!

bronzeLX
01-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks alot Jeff, I'll check the site out.