Last Updated: 8:31 AM, January 1, 2012

Posted: 1:29 AM, January 1, 2012

Secluded on the top floor of a bombed-out four-story apartment
building north of war-scarred Fallujah, Iraq, Navy SEAL sniper Chris
Kyle is just getting comfortable.

It’s November 2004. Thanksgiving
time. The second battle of Fallujah has launched, and Kyle is swaddled
in silence atop an upturned baby crib, studying the enemy through a
Nightforce 4.5-22 power scope attached to a .300 Win Mag rifle.

He’s feeling badass.

“We just got word that the president of Iraq said that anyone left in
the city is bad — meaning, clear to shoot,” he recalled for The Post.
“From that point on, every fighting-age male was a target.”

That
was just fine with Kyle, who spent five weeks in the hideout, protecting
Marines on the ground and bagging seven confirmed kills — adding to his
official total of 160, making him the deadliest sniper in US history.
“After
the first kill, the others come easy. I don’t have to psych myself up,
or do anything mentally — I look through the scope, get the target in
the cross hairs and kill my enemy before he kills one of my people,”
Kyle writes in his new autobiography, “American Sniper.”[Released January 3, 2012]
During
his 10-year career as a member of SEAL Team 3, Kyle, 37, saw action in
every major battle during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

He became known among his fellow SEALS as “The Legend.”

The enemy was less complimentary.

In Ramadi, insurgents put an $80,000 bounty on his head and branded him “Al-Shaitan Ramadi” — “The Devil of Ramadi.”

“That made me feel like I was actually doing my job and having an effect on the war,” he said.

In north-central Texas, Kyle grew up dipping tobacco, riding horses and hunting deer, turkey and quail — a cowboy at heart.

He got his first gun at 8 years old — a bolt-action 30-06 rifle.

The son of a Sunday-school teacher and a church deacon, Kyle credits a higher authority for his longest kill.

From 2,100 yards away from a village just outside of Sadr City in 2008,
he spied a man aiming a rocket launcher at an Army convoy and squeezed
off one shot from his .338 Lapua Magnum rifle.

Dead. From more than a mile away.

“God blew that bullet and hit him,” he said.

For Kyle, the enemy is a “savage” — there’s no room for gray, only black or white.

His
Charlie platoon even adopted the insignia of the comic-book vigilante
The Punisher, spray-painting skulls on their body armor, vehicles,
helmets and guns.

“You see us? We’re the people kicking your ass. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherf--ker,” he writes.

The married father of two is now president of Craft International, an
outfit that provides sniper and security training for the US military.

He
teaches what’s required to take that perfect shot: Study the terrain,
correct for elevation and wind, prepare for the vibration after the
shot, and keep in mind the Coriolis effect, the effect of the rotation
of the Earth on a bullet’s trajectory.

“You need skill to be a sniper, but you also need opportunity. And luck,” he said.

He
retired a chief petty officer, and along the way, collected an armload
of hardware, including two Silver Stars and five Bronze Stars with
valor.

“That’s just candy,” Kyle said. “That’s not why we were there.”

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w174/steveslx/01_1n017_sniper1--300x300.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w174/steveslx/01_1n017_sniper2--300x300.jpg

CNTLOSE
01-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Think I am going to have to go to the book store.

Steves LX
01-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Think I am going to have to go to the book store.

I will definitely pick this book up tonight on the way home. Here's a short youtube clip of him.

http://youtu.be/qa5QxQfyS4o

Walter
01-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Thats sick. Im gettin a copy!

furiouslyfaster
01-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Wow I don't usually read a whole lot, but this I could def. get into. Nice post steve.

ibstrokin
01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Atta Boy!!

Kwik92GT
01-03-2012, 08:58 PM
YUT! :bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
01-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Damn...a 30.06 at age 8...he was pretty much born into being a sniper.

furiouslyfaster
01-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Hey Steve or anybody for that matter were are you getting the book from? I found it online but didn't know were a good bookstore was close. Thanks.

Steves LX
01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Hey Steve or anybody for that matter were are you getting the book from? I found it online but didn't know were a good bookstore was close. Thanks.

Well I went to wally world this afternoon and the one up off CIN DAY RD didnt have it yet. So I am going to check the mall in Eastgate tomorrow. I'm not usually a reader either. Especially 381 pages of reading but this I can definitely dig as well. I wish their were more stories and outcomes like this with the war.

2007ShelbyCobra
01-04-2012, 12:36 AM
sounds awsome, ill get one

furiouslyfaster
01-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Well I went to wally world this afternoon and the one up off CIN DAY RD didnt have it yet. So I am going to check the mall in Eastgate tomorrow. I'm not usually a reader either. Especially 381 pages of reading but this I can definitely dig as well. I wish their were more stories and outcomes like this with the war.

Yes I agree steve, we usually just hear about and see the bad outcomes on the news, and actually this past year I really saw a bad outcome when my little brothers friend Seth was killed by an IED in Afghanistan. He was a great person.

Let me know if and were you find it. I found it online for $16.64 with free shipping so I might go that route if it isn't anywhere in eastgate yet. Thanks.

Steves LX
01-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Yes I agree steve, we usually just hear about and see the bad outcomes on the news, and actually this past year I really saw a bad outcome when my little brothers friend Seth was killed by an IED in Afghanistan. He was a great person.

Let me know if and were you find it. I found it online for $16.64 with free shipping so I might go that route if it isn't anywhere in eastgate yet. Thanks.

Target has it in store for 18.69 or 18.89. I cant remember which one. But either way they have it for 18 and some change.

firestang70
01-04-2012, 10:22 AM

RIP Seth, you were a good young man and a hero.

pegasus
01-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Im gonna wait till the movie comes out still looks BA

furiouslyfaster
01-04-2012, 02:58 PM
There is going to be a movie?

mad max
01-04-2012, 03:02 PM
This definetly looks like a must read . I see a trip to the local bookstore in my future.

bangingears
01-06-2012, 08:51 PM
i like him cause he knocked out jeese venture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU5MLcWXzfo&feature=related

06V6Andrew
01-06-2012, 09:22 PM

sorry about your friend. my cousin was also hit by an IED, he didn't lose his life but he will be in pain for the rest of his life. had to fuse together 2 or 3 vertabrae plus a broken collar bone and a fractured skull. i used to work on the miitary vehicles that came out of cincinnati. they have gotten better over the years but it's all just a matter of placement and metal. i hope the get it just right where no solider dies because some coward plants a bomb in the ground.

furiouslyfaster
01-06-2012, 11:13 PM
sorry about your friend. my cousin was also hit by an IED, he didn't lose his life but he will be in pain for the rest of his life. had to fuse together 2 or 3 vertabrae plus a broken collar bone and a fractured skull. i used to work on the miitary vehicles that came out of cincinnati. they have gotten better over the years but it's all just a matter of placement and metal. i hope the get it just right where no solider dies because some coward plants a bomb in the ground.

It was a hard loss because the last time I really actually talked to him was when him and my little brother graduated. Most of my memories of him were as a kid and it is weird to think about something like that happening. He and his family were good friends with my family. Like many others he was taken way to early. It will be a great day when they can come up with better protection from road side bombs and anything else that is made to harm our soldiers whether it be guns, explosives, etc.

I give major props to the men and women that served and still are serving in our military because they are brave enough to do something that I am too afraid to do, which is why I am so interested in this book and any other autobiography of a soldier. I am fascinated by their stories and cannot fathom the things they go through. I can't thank them enough.

djom1cincy
01-07-2012, 12:48 AM
i like him cause he knocked out jeese venture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU5MLcWXzfo&feature=related

Read some of the comments. People make me sick.

SVT Fan
01-19-2012, 11:33 PM
I just finished this book and it was bad ass! I would recomend this book to anyone.

qwk93ta
01-20-2012, 07:58 AM
I think I'm going to have to get the book....pretty cool.

jktruckin06
02-04-2013, 12:20 AM
I thought this was the same guy. Killed in Texas at a shooting range. Google the story or maybe katmandu will post the link.

Steves LX
02-04-2013, 12:33 AM
I thought this was the same guy. Killed in Texas at a shooting range. Google the story or maybe katmandu will post the link.
Its the same guy!!! Pretty messed up but yep thats him!!

2Kblacksleeper
02-04-2013, 03:45 AM
It's a very good book. I bought it just after it came out.
Also read up on Carlos Hathcock.

akagreg3
02-04-2013, 07:25 AM
:lol: i took off running!!!