PDA

View Full Version : TAX AUDIT

4EYED85GT
01-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Anyone ever been tax audited? Just got a packet in the mail that says my last years return is being audited and I have to provide a bunch of stuff by Jan 17th. Owning rental property can be a pain in the ass.. hope I can find everything I gotta provide.

If anyone has been through an audit please let me know how it went and what to do / not do. Says I gotta schedule an appointment that could take up to 4 hours. As if Im not busy enough..

jktruckin06
01-06-2012, 07:10 PM
I've heard people talk about having them done. Make sure you have everything they ask you to have nice and organized. Cooperate fully and as long as your stuff is legit you'll be fine. It's pretty serious, but can be done and over with if you can show them what they need. Most of all good luck!

Black Horse
01-07-2012, 02:05 PM
If you show up and have all of the info you need and are decently organized you will not have a problem. Even if they find against you, you have the ability to appeal to a representative. When I was audited the person I spoke to could not have cared less about particular circumstances, rather just the black and white of things. I appeal and the person I had to work with was much more knowlegedable about the particular business issues and was able to find on my behalf. Just be nice! Good luck!

4EYED85GT
01-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Markcore
01-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Good luck! This very reason is why I pay for a CPA. IRS scares the poo out of me.